New Audeze LCD3
Mar 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #4,486 of 11,521
The Objective2 is clean, distortion free, low-noise, and powerful. Transparent it is not. The amp commits sins of omission rather than sins of commission. I have one sitting in front of my computer. I wish it was truly "portable" though (as in similar size to iPhone.)

The LCD3 plays very cleanly from the Objective2. That's all that can be said of it.

I also can't disagree with the "dead" description of the Burson. I think "polite" may be a more polite word than "dead." 200-1200USD is a dead-man's land in terms of amps, so taken in that perspective, it's not that bad.

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #4,487 of 11,521
How would you characterize transparency if not being clean, free of distortion, and low noise?

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #4,488 of 11,521
Lack of plankton. The LCD3 (at least my un-veiled LCD3) is capable of reproducing the tiniest of plankton - on par with the HD800. It deserves better.

To directly answer your question:

A photocopier can make a copy of an original that's free of noise, crud, gunk, crooked lines, but yet miss the fine strokes of small print if the dpi is too low. Transparency also implies that the fidelity of the original is maintained.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #4,489 of 11,521
I have the O2 and love the sound of the LCD-3 from it, it is a step up from the 10SE that I have. As some have mentioned, it is very clean and neutral sounding and a fantastic amp at the price. I'm glad to hear more favourable impressions of it in this thread.

I will probably get the Super 7 as my next amp given purrin's and Anaxilus' high recommendation of it with the LCD 3 but I will have to upgrade my DAC first, which will most probably be the D2.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #4,491 of 11,521

Quote:
I have the O2 and love the sound of the LCD-3 from it, it is a step up from the 10SE that I have. As some have mentioned, it is very clean and neutral sounding and a fantastic amp at the price. I'm glad to hear more favourable impressions of it in this thread.

I will probably get the Super 7 as my next amp given purrin's and Anaxilus' high recommendation of it with the LCD 3 but I will have to upgrade my DAC first, which will most probably be the D2.

I do listen to the LCD3 from the O2 from my computer (I swapped out the original op-amp out for a LM4562 to up the plankton levels.) The O2 has some good balls. I'm always surprised because I say to myself "Wow! this sounds pretty good!" that is until I hear the LCD3 from the BA<-PWD.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #4,492 of 11,521

I also can't disagree with the "dead" description of the Burson. I think "polite" may be a more polite word than "dead." 200-1200USD is a dead-man's land in terms of amps, so taken in that perspective, it's not that bad.

At last, someone being honest about this amp, if you were to believe half around here you would think it the second coming!

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #4,493 of 11,521

Quote:
At last, someone being honest about this amp, if you were to believe half around here you would think it the second coming!

Lol. I agree coming from purrin.

Purrin / Anaxilus - How much of a step up is the Super 7 from the O2 with the LCD-3?

Would the Super 7 be just as neutral and clean but much more transparent, resolving with greater levels of 'plankton'?

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #4,494 of 11,521

Quote:
Lol. I agree coming from purrin.

Purrin / Anaxilus - How much of a step up is the Super 7 from the O2 with the LCD-3?

Would the Super 7 be just as neutral and clean but much more transparent, resolving with greater levels of 'plankton'?

• Slightly less clean - tubes will NEVER be as clean or clear sounding as solid-state.
  • At least 30db more noise - compared to the O2's crazy low noise floor - but good enough to use IEMs, Grados, and Audio Technicas without hum, buzzing, or hiss - in other words, the noise of the recording will be the limitation.
  • Just as neutral (with supplied tubes) - the Eddie Current tubes amps are neutral and lack bloom - which may not please people who expect tube amps to sound warm, romantic, and gooey - you can always tube roll for moar bass or bloom - but the super large majority of 6SN7's don't sound "tubey" to begin with.
  • Ever so slightly rounded bass compared to the O2 which has very tight bass. Effective zero output Z is always > a few ohm output Z. Depends upon headphone though. Grados and HD800 like higher output Z.
  • Better apparent bass extension than O2 (assuming stock O2 op-amp)
  • 1000% more plankton (the O2 is pretty low on the plankton scale)
  • Increased macro dynamics (especially with bass)
  • Increased micro dynamics - those little instantaneous dynamic contrasts and swings - surprisingly faster and with better transient response than O2.
  • More continuous gradation with volume levels.
  • More continuous sound - less grains making up the sound - more liquid.

#6-10 are huge differences.

Basically you pick your poison. I don't mind my photocopies with a few small spots and slight smudges as long as the fine strokes and elements of the small type are reproduced just as sharply and with the right contrast and smooth transitions.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #4,495 of 11,521

Quote:

Oh god, my Leckerton UHA6s (OPA209) has more plankton than the O2.  Actually more than any portable I've heard so far, it's just not as powerful or linear as the O2.  Like the HD800, I never actually intended to buy or keep it.  I actually bought it to do a portable amp comparo so I could quash all the hype surrounding it at the time.  It simply beat everything I had on me so I had to keep it.  

The S7 is another league from either, no question.  I'm listening to it now.  Craig makes the most transparent tube amps I've heard, excruciatingly revealing.  Apex does too but they have a different presentation of 'detail' which I find too treble tipped for me personally.  I'm actually not a treble head despite my HD800, just a clarity fanatic.  I like clean windows.  Either could work out based on how you want to synergize your phones.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #4,496 of 11,521

Quote:
I'd replace the V200 first.

Can you elaborate as to why it seems like the weak link?  I've already decided to sell my Lavry since the PWD seems like a clear upgrade based on specs and reviews, and because I like the V200's sound and compact size...but I don't have significant experience with any other desktop amp.  

Is this just a matter of whether one believes the source or amp makes a bigger difference (especially at this price range), or is there something specifically lacking with the V200 and LCD-3?  Without being able to compare it to other amps, I would say the V200 is a slightly warm amp and doesn't blow me away with micro details or an expansive soundstage, but I also can't tell to what extent those drawbacks may be due to my source and LCD-3.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #4,497 of 11,521
You may not hear that much of a difference with the V200 in the chain if you switched DACs. DACs tend to cluster much closer together in quality than amps. The DACs in the Lavry's range aren't that bad. Unless you are really objecting to something about its sound.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #4,498 of 11,521

Quote:

• 10-15% less clean - tubes will NEVER be as clean or clear sounding as solid-state.
  • At least 30db more noise - compared to the O2's crazy low noise floor - but good enough to use IEMs, Grados, and Audio Technicas without hum, buzzing, or hiss - in other words, the noise of the recording will be the limitation.
  • Just as neutral (with supplied tubes) - the Eddie Current tubes amps are neutral and lack bloom - which may not please people who expect tube amps to sound warm, romantic, and gooey - you can always tube roll for moar bass or bloom - but the super large majority of 6SN7's don't sound "tubey" to begin with.
  • Ever so slightly rounded bass compared to the O2 which has very tight bass. Effective zero output Z is always > a few ohm output Z. Depends upon headphone though. Grados and HD800 like higher output Z.
  • Better apparent bass extension than O2 (assuming stock O2 op-amp)
  • 400% more plankton (the O2 is pretty low on the plankton scale)
  • Increased macro dynamics (especially with bass)
  • Increased micro dynamics - those little instantaneous dynamic contrasts and swings - surprisingly faster and with better transient response than O2.
  • More continuous gradation with volume levels.
  • More continuous sound - less grains making up the sound - more liquid.

#6-10 are huge differences.

Basically you pick your poison. I don't mind my photocopies with a few small spots and slight smudges as long as the fine strokes and elements of the small type are reproduced just as sharply and with the right contrast and smooth transitions.

Quote:
Oh god, my Leckerton has more plankton than the O2.  Actually more than any portable I've heard so far, it's just not as powerful of linear as the O2.  Like the HD800, I never actually intended to buy or keep it.  It simply beat everything I had on me so I had to keep it.

The S7 is another league from either, no question.  I'm listening to it now.  Craig makes the most transparent tube amps I've heard, excruciatingly revealing.  Apex does too but they have a different presentation of 'detail' which I find too treble tipped for me personally.  I'm actually not a treble head despite my HD800, just a clarity fanatic.  I like clean windows.  Either could work out based on how you want to synergize your phones.

Thanks for the response guys. They were very helpful indeed.

You both have me convinced. I will put my name down for a Super 7 amp soon - no experience with tube amps whatsoever, but it sure sounds like what I need.
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #4,499 of 11,521
Reminds me I still have to build my O2. 

Quote:
I have a Stacker II on the way. Anyone who have heard it with the LCD-3?

Yes. If it is one of Don's builds it sounds excellent, if the amp itself is a bit patchwork in construction. I nabbed a pair of '50s Sylvania 6SN7GTs and the new Sovteks and it's a beautiful match, though a DAC that is a more towards the lively side of things is a good match. It's a bit behind on ultimate detail and performance compared to my Phoenix -- the Stacker makes music beautiful, powerful and enjoyable (depending on the tubes chosen) but the Phoenix simply disappears, leaving the beauty of the music itself, grandiose, subtle or anything in between. Sometimes I feel like listening with one, sometimes the other.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #4,500 of 11,521

Quote:
Thanks for the response guys. They were very helpful indeed.

You both have me convinced. I will put my name down for a Super 7 amp soon - no experience with tube amps whatsoever, but it sure sounds like what I need.
wink.gif

Ask CEETEE how he felt going from this Benchmark DAC1 out to the Super 7. He could still be awake right now cursing Craig at his lost sleep.

EDIT: Also, check out the Super 7 review thread. A couple of folks have received their Super 7 amps, so it may be a good idea to see what amps they came from and check to see whether they like their new amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back