New Audeze LCD3
Mar 19, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #4,501 of 11,521

Quote:
Reminds me I still have to build my O2. 

Yes. If it is one of Don's builds it sounds excellent, if the amp itself is a bit patchwork in construction. I nabbed a pair of '50s Sylvania 6SN7GTs and the new Sovteks and it's a beautiful match, though a DAC that is a more towards the lively side of things is a good match. It's a bit behind on ultimate detail and performance compared to my Phoenix -- the Stacker makes music beautiful, powerful and enjoyable (depending on the tubes chosen) but the Phoenix simply disappears, leaving the beauty of the music itself, grandiose, subtle or anything in between. Sometimes I feel like listening with one, sometimes the other.

Speaking of the Phoenix - that's a good match for the LCD# 'phones. I'd recommend that too if you can get one for cheap or AGD is easily accessible (not the case in the USA.) I didn't care for a lot of the other mid-low line AGD stuff below it though.

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #4,502 of 11,521
Quote:

Can you elaborate as to why it seems like the weak link?  I've already decided to sell my Lavry since the PWD seems like a clear upgrade based on specs and reviews, and because I like the V200's sound and compact size...but I don't have significant experience with any other desktop amp.  

Is this just a matter of whether one believes the source or amp makes a bigger difference (especially at this price range), or is there something specifically lacking with the V200 and LCD-3?  Without being able to compare it to other amps, I would say the V200 is a slightly warm amp and doesn't blow me away with micro details or an expansive soundstage, but I also can't tell to what extent those drawbacks may be due to my source and LCD-3.

My preference.

I like the Leben better than BA or zdt, haven't listened to super7 yet. The experience came from pairing them with hd800 and he6. To me the Leben is clearly better, but not the best choice for LCD3 though. SS or hybrid will give you better result.

IMO, Da11 is better than Da10 and benchmark dac1 in quite a lot aspects. In the price range of your budget, if you can find a psaudio dac, than try it yourself, and there shouldn't be a problem to sell it off in case you don't like it. At its price tag, It is a very good dac, but not the rule-them-all.

IMO, V200 is a great amp at its price range. You would need to leap to 2500USD range for a ss amp to have a clear step up.

Hear different opinions from different headfiers with difference tastes, or better, listen to those amps yourself before making the decision.

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #4,504 of 11,521
I received my LCD-3's back and everything looks tip top.  They replaced the drivers and the pads.  The pads are a lot softer and there doesn't seem to be the foam on the inside of the cup I remember being there.  These are a lot more comfortable to me - not as much clamping force it seems and I don't get that suction cup effect.  One thing is for sure, these sound fantastic coming out of my Apex Peak.  The veil appears to be gone.  It no longer sounds like artists are holding their hand in front of their mouth.  I did get a new graph as well and will try and post up my original and this new one later.

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #4,505 of 11,521

Quote:
My preference.
I like the Leben better than BA or zdt, haven't listened to super7 yet. The experience came from pairing them with hd800 and he6. To me the Leben is clearly better

What's 'better' about it?  Because the Leben is thick and syrupy for pairing w/ brighter, analytical phones?  It's slow, has terrible bass control and is not particularly resolving.

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #4,506 of 11,521

Quote:
 It's slow, has terrible bass control and is not particularly resolving.

Those characteristics don't sound like they'll pair particularly well with the LCD-3s, even the new 3.2 ones. In my experience so far, the SLIGHTLY "brighter" amps such as the stock Littledot mk6+, the RWA Audez'e edition and the somewhat more neutral amps like the SPL Phonitor and the Centrance Dacmini CX seem to excel more than the warmer amps such as the Woo WA5, WA6SE, Schiit Lyr and Darkvoice 337SE. This all comes from personal experience.

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #4,508 of 11,521

Quote:
Those characteristics don't sound like they'll pair particularly well with the LCD-3s, even the new 3.2 ones. In my experience so far, the SLIGHTLY "brighter" amps such as the stock Littledot mk6+, the RWA Audez'e edition and the somewhat more neutral amps like the SPL Phonitor and the Centrance Dacmini CX seem to excel more than the warmer amps such as the Woo WA5, WA6SE, Schiit Lyr and Darkvoice 337SE. This all comes from personal experience.

This is exactly why we've been trying to steer you away from the Leben
biggrin.gif
 This is the LCD3 thread after all. In addition to what Anax said, the Leben is also rolled off in the treble. Still, I could see people being susceptible to its charms (especially paired with bright headphones like the HD800 or HE6.) But in my book, that amp just isn't "high-fidelity." If you ever wanted to get a sense of the Leben, grab a used Dynaco ST35 or build a Bottlehead Crack (without the Speedball upgrade, because the upgrade could possibly make it sound better.)

I would otherwise recommend to you a hybrid, but the current non-DIY hybrids are Lyr (awesome for its price, but "meh" in the absolute sense of things) and Liquid Fire (beyond your budget.) I know I took the Peak/Volcano off the shelf, but you may want to consider that again too (but this too blows away a big chunk of your fund at $2200.)

Here's why I was thinking Super 7 with the LCD3:

• Fits your budget (dj nellie's) with an even split between your amp and DAC needs.
  • Relatively low output impedance (@2.5ohms or was it lower?) with good power. The Super 7 actually has tighter bass less rounded bass and more power than the BA. Driver control is really needed on the LCD3. I may actually buy a Super 7 specifically for the LCD3. Again, maybe a hybrid amp would be preferable if this aspect is important to you, but the bass of the S7 (or BA) is hardly slow or wobbly. Knowing Craig, he would rather kill himself than release an amp that didn't have fast punchy bass and went "blub blub blub, blub blub, blub blub blub".
  • Solid-state speed but with the inner resolution of tubes.
  • You can roll tubes to get the exact tone that you want.
  • Fits your budget with an even split between your amp and DAC needs.
  • Good resale value if you didn't like it.
  • And here's my cheap appeal to authority: Made by the same guy who made this: http://www.mothmuseum.com/mothaudio/m304tlhi.html and this: http://www.mothmuseum.com/mothaudio/sphynxhi.html

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #4,509 of 11,521
       Quote:

This is exactly why we've been trying to steer you away from the Leben
biggrin.gif
 This is the LCD3 thread after all. In addition to what Anax said, the Leben is also rolled off in the treble. Still, I could see people being susceptible to its charms (especially paired with bright headphones like the HD800 or HE6.) But in my book, that amp just isn't "high-fidelity." If you ever wanted to get a sense of the Leben (for headphone use), grab a used Dynaco ST35 or build a Bottlehead Crack (without the Speedball upgrade, because the upgrade could possibly make it sound better.)

I would otherwise recommend to you a hybrid, but the current non-DIY hybrids are Lyr (awesome for its price, but "meh" in the absolute sense of things) and Liquid Fire (beyond your budget.) I know I took the Peak/Volcano off the shelf, but you may want to consider that again too (but this too blows away a big chunk of your fund at $2200.)

Here's why I was thinking Super 7 with the LCD3:

• Relatively low output impedance (@2.5ohms or was it lower?) with good power. The Super 7 actually has tighter bass less rounded bass and more power than the BA. Driver control is really needed on the LCD3. I may actually buy a Super 7 specifically for the LCD3. Again, maybe a hybrid amp would be preferable if this aspect is important to you, but the bass of the S7 (or BA) is hardly slow or wobbly. Knowing Craig, he would rather kill himself than release an amp that didn't have fast punchy bass and went "blub blub blub, blub blub, blub blub blub".
  • Solid-state speed but with the inner resolution of tubes.
  • You can roll tubes to get the exact tone that you want.
  • Good resale value if you didn't like it.
  • And here's my cheap appeal to authority: Made by the same guy who made this: http://www.mothmuseum.com/mothaudio/m304tlhi.html and this: http://www.mothmuseum.com/mothaudio/sphynxhi.html

Yup, absolutely agree. I haven't tried the Leben yet but from the general consensus, I dont think it will be good with the LCD-3s. I would second purrin and urge the original asker to get the super7, looks like a really great amp.

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #4,511 of 11,521
Quote:
IMO, V200 is a great amp at its price range. You would need to leap to 2500USD range for a ss amp to have a clear step up.

If one is inclined to make that leap, one could do worse than this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/569225/fs-fully-balanced-b22-amplifier-with-dual-s22-psu-custom-panels-jena-wire-must-see-another-price-drop-2-25

I can't believe it's still for sale.

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #4,514 of 11,521

Quote:
Terrible headamp for orthos to my ears. 

I used the HD800 which you'd think would be a good match.  Couldn't take it.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back