New Audeze LCD3
Feb 28, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #4,096 of 11,521
An update:  My LCD-3s were received by Audeze last Thursday, and they were shipped back to me on Monday.  I'll have them in 2 days.

Alex told me that he tested my pair and couldn't find anything wrong with them.  He probably would've been justified in sending me back my pair, but he's actually sending me a new pair.  I'm definitely impressed with his quick turnaround time and commitment to make me happy.  It may turn out that some combination of my equipment, recordings and preferences are causing me to not fully enjoy my LCD-3s the way I think I should, but I will be fully satisfied with the way I've been treated by Audeze.  All of my interactions with them have been pleasant, and their responses have been timely and helpful.

And now to see what the new pair sounds like.  Maybe I just prefer my midrange (and especially vocals) on the robust side of neutral, and maybe this is reinforced (or conditioned?) by the headphones I've listened to and enjoyed the most, the LCD-2 rev. 1 and UERM.  If this pair of 3s comes back sounding the same as my original pair, I'll just accept that it's how they were meant to sound.  There's still a lot I love about the headphones:  the tonal accuracy, the sense of realism, and the intimate (but not claustrophobic) soundstage that is captivating on certain recordings.  With a slight bump in clarity and in the presence of the upper mids/lower treble, I wouldn't have any issue with the headphones except for comfort.

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #4,097 of 11,521
WA thanks for the reply. When I mentioned tube traps I was mistakenly referring to Argent Room Lenses not room tune traps.

I apologize for the off topic, back to veiled LCD-3s.

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #4,099 of 11,521

Quote:
Warrior ant, you may have been fed horse s. in regards to the sound package pack. Reason is that typical room (e.g not a perfect cube) reflections at mid/high frequencies are really not due to the corners but a result of the characteristics of each wall surface. The effective room properties are affected by the absorptive performance of the material you place in it and its surface area. Location doesn't matter unless you're trying to reduce reflections from a particular region such as back wall. In the present case, I believe WAF was really the main consideration to decide on the placement (nobody's hanging a frame in the corners
wink.gif
).
At lower frequencies though, corners and edges have indeed much influence and this is where bass traps need to be placed to tackle the first resonances in the room.
My apologies for the off topic but I couldn't resist
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes I know that every room is different.  Every edit suite I've had a hand in building was completely different and not one room ever had anything like the same treatment.  I guess I was just suggesting a basic package for people to consider and experiment with for those who do not know much about acoustics.  But those triangles, they really do wonders for a living room.  Especially since most audiophile wives will hardly notice them, hardly, especially the ones in ivory.   As for location, for me right now, I'm in a small room with a nearfeild situation with speakers that have a wide tweeter dispersion and I can definitely hear the localized reflections taking place and need to tame them, or reduce their energy so they do not disturb the sound stage imaging so much.   I'm not willing to buy anything already made and need some acoustic material that doesn't suck out the wrong frequencies.  If you know of a place where I can buy some materials PM me I'd be real interested.

Back to the LCD Veil and the pads discussion.

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #4,101 of 11,521

Quote:
An update:  My LCD-3s were received by Audeze last Thursday, and they were shipped back to me on Monday.  I'll have them in 2 days.

Alex told me that he tested my pair and couldn't find anything wrong with them.  He probably would've been justified in sending me back my pair, but he's actually sending me a new pair.  I'm definitely impressed with his quick turnaround time and commitment to make me happy.  It may turn out that some combination of my equipment, recordings and preferences are causing me to not fully enjoy my LCD-3s the way I think I should, but I will be fully satisfied with the way I've been treated by Audeze.  All of my interactions with them have been pleasant, and their responses have been timely and helpful.

It's just mean that they are sending your old drivers to someone else :wink: I should avoid ordering in the next two o three weeks :wink:

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #4,102 of 11,521
To the pad issue. Both my old and new pairs have soft pads, but when I put them on and touch the pads, there is on squeaky feeling on the surface of the back side (the thicker side) of the pads. I'm not sure whether my pads are on the softer or harder side, but they are very soft and comfy.

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #4,104 of 11,521
I wonder if they will recall the phones out at resellers atm or will they play the statistics game and let those ones go through and see what gets returned.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #4,105 of 11,521

definitely looking forward to what you have to say!
Quote:

And now to see what the new pair sounds like.  Maybe I just prefer my midrange (and especially vocals) on the robust side of neutral, and maybe this is reinforced (or conditioned?) by the headphones I've listened to and enjoyed the most, the LCD-2 rev. 1 and UERM.  If this pair of 3s comes back sounding the same as my original pair, I'll just accept that it's how they were meant to sound.  There's still a lot I love about the headphones:  the tonal accuracy, the sense of realism, and the intimate (but not claustrophobic) soundstage that is captivating on certain recordings.  With a slight bump in clarity and in the presence of the upper mids/lower treble, I wouldn't have any issue with the headphones except for comfort.

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #4,106 of 11,521
It's just mean that they are sending your old drivers to someone else :wink: I should avoid ordering in the next two o three weeks :wink:

Seems a bit cynical to think they would repackage a used unit and resell it. They haven't so far shown a tendency to be that cheap or devious. I imagine/hope it would be used for loaning/demoing.

I wonder if they will recall the phones out at resellers atm or will they play the statistics game and let those ones go through and see what gets returned.

I don't think they have a legit reason to do a general recall, since I don't think it's clear to them how many units have a significant issue. But they proved to me at least that they're willing to listen to anyone who thinks their set doesn't sound right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back