New Audeze LCD3
Feb 12, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #3,646 of 11,521

Quote:
imo, Yes the 009's have a great bass, and as long as you have a well mastered audio track the bass really can pop out at you. The keys with the 009's are good to excellent mastered sound tracks, and a system that is very neutral with a amp (i am using the SRM727) that has the power/voltage to drive the big swings in the sound that the 009's has. Lastly, the out of head sound-stage is just that, its very close to a high end speaker system and a room with very good acoustics, at-least on my system.

When I first got my LCD-3's, coming from my HE6's and HD800's, the first thought came to mind was WOW, but this was not so with the 009's. What I am saying is with the 009's and the LCD-3's, is that you should demo any high line headphone on your system for about a week or two before you make up your mind what you like and don't like. In both cases I had the option to return these headphones, the LCD-3's I returned, the 009's/SRM727 I think I am going to keep.
Monday will be the day I make the final decision on keeping the 009's/SRM727.

Just heard the SR-009/SRM-727II combo for the first time this weekend at the Bay Area Head-Fi Meet.  My bet is that you won't be returning that combo on Monday !

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #3,647 of 11,521

Quote:
MH, i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the squishy ear pads were a major contributing factor to the varying reports of LCD-3 sound...
the drivers' proximity to the ear, the sense of vacuum created by the headphone, the pressure on the cheek area around the ear can also affect how we perceive things...
because, if you ask me, the minor peaks and dips in the FR don't seem to be significant enough to make one pair veiled and another pair crystal clear...

I am almost convinced that if they are not "the factor" at least they are the major contributor.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 12, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #3,648 of 11,521
Quote:
I am almost convinced that if they are not "the factor" at least they are the major contributor.

Yup, without the almost for me.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #3,649 of 11,521
It would be pretty odd if it ends up being the foam in the pads.

I hadn't even considered it could possibly be the foam because its so much easier to control the consistency of the foam compared to getting consistent leather and stitching.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #3,650 of 11,521
I would imagine the bigger the head, the more the clamping would be which would compress the pads more since they are so soft. Could be one variable in the differences since they all seem to measure semi close. I am glad I have a small head.:D

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #3,651 of 11,521

Quote:
I would imagine the bigger the head, the more the clamping would be which would compress the pads more since they are so soft. Could be one variable in the differences since they all seem to measure semi close. I am glad I have a small head.
biggrin.gif

I honestly think that is one limitation of headphones. No two heads are identical and fit and compression (or lack thereof) could all lead to slightly different listening experiences. Last I checked, my speakers weren't too particular on the listener's head size.
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #3,653 of 11,521
Currawong, can you elaborate a bit more on what you were told by Sankar regarding the alleged mid-range veil on some units?  You said he felt it had been taken care of, does that mean that he agreed some units had the veil?  And how did they rectify the problem, just by sending replacement LCD-3s from a new batch?

Quote:

No wait. Sankar told me that all new ones have had the issue rectified.

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #3,654 of 11,521
I haven't been following this thread for a while, but is Audeze considering the "veil" a legitimate "issue" for sending these back to them for evaluation and possible replacement? Right now I'm not too happy about this given Tyll's investigative report.

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #3,655 of 11,521
Quote:
I haven't been following this thread for a while, but is Audeze considering the "veil" a legitimate "issue" for sending these back to them for evaluation and possible replacement? Right now I'm not too happy about this given Tyll's investigative report.

I got the impression that was only about the outright failures, not the "veil".

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #3,657 of 11,521

Quote:

Someone just told my about Tyll's report. I sense a bit of rage building within me (like extreme rage.) Sankar was very gracious at the Irvine mini-meet last year, but he did assure us (Anax and I when we spoke to him of our concerns) of much improved quality control processes. This is not a $700 headphone. This is a $2000 headphone. I'm just going to shut up and take a chill pill...

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #3,659 of 11,521
Just had a chance to A-B my LCD-3s from an SPL Phonitor against a Stax 009 from a 727-2. Both systems running from a CEC -TL1X and a Cary DAC. I love the LCD-3s and found the pairing with the Phonitors to be very good, detailed, good transients and great soundstage after fiddling around with the Phonitor's controls. However, I have to say that the 009s are just amazing, almost flawless in my opinion except for a tiny bit less extension and impact at the bottom end to my ears. Their detail, speed, transparency and ease is just exceptional. Haha, would love to get it but alas, still cant quite convince myself that they are worth the 5200USD plus another several thousand for a good amp. (Partly because I heard a pair of Maggie 3.7s and 20.7s soon after)

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #3,660 of 11,521
Funny...I just came back from an audio store an hr ago testing similar setups. I bought the SR-009 on Saturday, and today tested (and bought) the SRM-727a to go with it. For the heck of it I decided to try their LCD-3's via Grace Design M903 as I still wasn't certain about my SR-009 purchase.

Only after few mins of listening, I put down the LCD-3 and am reassured of my investment in the Stax instead. There is a strong possibility the M903 wasn't a good match for the LCD-3, or that particular LCD-3 was plagued with some of the attributes mentioned on this thread.

What I didn't like about it was its treble sounded veiled (in comparison to the SR-009). If I wasn't rushing to bring my 727a back, I would have spent more time trying different headphone amps with that LCD-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back