New Audeze LCD3
Nov 23, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #1,771 of 11,521
The one major plus that really stands out for me is the sound-stage of the LCD-3's and how the LCD-3's can project this sound-stage for MCH is amazing. Better than my HE6 and HD-800's, of-course using my rig for MCH audio.  2Ch run through my system is also very good but its only 2Ch and therefore it sounds like its coming from a Left and Right speakers. When I use a nicely mastered MCH (5.1/7.1) sound-track the LCD-3 projects the sound the same way as if you are using a high end speaker system, and that also includes the depth of a speaker system.

imo for my tastes you need some form of EQ to keep the LCD-3 under control.

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #1,772 of 11,521

Quote:
The one major plus that really stands out for me is the sound-stage of the LCD-3's and how the LCD-3's can project this sound-stage for MCH is amazing. Better than my HE6 and HD-800's, of-course using my rig for MCH audio.  2Ch run through my system is also very good but its only 2Ch and therefore it sounds like its coming from a Left and Right speakers. When I use a nicely mastered MCH (5.1/7.1) sound-track the LCD-3 projects the sound the same way as if you are using a high end speaker system, and that also includes the depth of a speaker system.

imo for my tastes you need some form of EQ to keep the LCD-3 under control.

Agreed. When I owned the LCD-2 (both revs) I didn't think planars could do wide soundstaging, then I heard the HE-6s and LCD-3s....now I take that back completely.

BTW Peter, they LCD-3s should loosen up over time...both my previous LCD-2s did.

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #1,773 of 11,521
My head is quite big but I think I can stand the clamping. The only thing could be potentially problematic is that, when spring comes to Hong Kong, it will be a struggle for me between switching on the air con and sweating all over.

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #1,774 of 11,521
True. With a tube amp on in the summer, it is next to impossible not to turn on air-conditioning.

By the way, I have just ordered the Liquid Fire for my LCD3 office rig. ALO said they can re-wire it to 220V for me. Only the source is outstanding now...

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #1,775 of 11,521
I saw your post on the other thread, you oath breaker
biggrin.gif

The electricity in Hong Kong is not that pure, especially in summer. We do need a nice power conditioner
eek.gif

Looking forward to your LF impression.

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #1,777 of 11,521
4, technically, we not that tropical 
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #1,778 of 11,521
It's my 1-week LCD-3 ownership anniversary.  I thought I'd mark the occasion with a few impressions, which are brief and preliminary.

First, I love the travel case.  It's much more compact than I expected, and it makes the wooden box I had for my LCD-2s seem clunky and useless by comparison.

Second, I expected that the thicker ear pads would lead to a substantial comfort improvement over the LCD-2's that I owned, which were Rev. 1 with the foam headband but the newer earpads.  The LCD-2's strong clamping force was one of my primary reasons for selling it.  Unfortunately, in my experience so far, the LCD-3 is more uncomfortable than the LCD-2.  I feel the extra weight of the leather headband, and the thicker pads seem to press harder upon, and over a greater surface area of, my cheeks and jaw.  Whereas I could go at least 20 minutes with the LCD-2 without feeling a headache or a need to take a break, I start to feel cheekbone fatigue and a headache in a shorter time with the LCD-3.  I've been stretching the headband by hand, and placing the headphones around the armrest of my couch in the hopes that this will alleviate the clamping force, but I haven't noticed any significant improvement in this regard after a few days.

Finally, a few notes about the sound.  I definitely have a general sense that the LCD-3s are more refined in nearly every respect over the LCD-2s (which I don't have on hand to directly compare).  But I wouldn't call the improvements dramatic.  The LCD-3's imaging seems a little more precise, and the soundstage is slightly more spacious.  The treble presence is crisper and more prominent than on my LCD-2s, while the LCD-3's bass impact (especially mid-bass) seems more restrained.  The extension and bass quality, however, don't leave much to be desired.

I think the 3's improvements are more evident on well-recorded and mastered music.  Conversely, mediocre and poor recordings are much more intolerable on the 3s; problems like a compressed soundstage, harsh treble, and general lack of musical detail are painfully noticeable.  But the effortless beauty, detail, and naturalness that the LCD-3 can express on a good recording is impressive.

All of my listening is done either on my Lavry DA10 + Violectric V200 amp, or my CLAS + SR71B (with ALO silver-copper cable or Whiplash TWag v.2).  Although I can understand googeli's point that the LCD-3 has much more to exhibit than the CLAS/71B can extract, I still think that combo is very satisfying.  I think a lot of people would be happy using it as their primary LCD-3 rig, especially if they had budget limitations and needed some degree of transportability.

So here I am, having sold my LCD-2s (at a substantial loss) and trying to find ways to alleviate the vice-grip of the LCD-3s.  For now, I'm satisfied that the LCD-3s provide the sonic improvements I wanted--namely a slightly brighter, detailed, and more spacious presentation.  But I can't help but wonder if my source and amp are significantly bottlenecking my experience.  The Lavry and V200 are fairly well-regarded in their price range, but I can't avoid the nagging feeling that I haven't heard the LCD-3s at anywhere near their best.

And yet, while I'm tempted by the LCD-3's reputed ability to scale with high-end sources and amps, I'm also concerned about the highly revealing nature of an "end game" LCD-3 setup.  I'm trying to upgrade the sound quality of my music collection with the best available masters, but there's simply too much crappily-recorded music out there that is still worth listening to.  And so I wonder if a higher-end source/amp combo, like the Audeze Edition, would be too ruthless in revealing the compression and recording weaknesses of the majority of the music I enjoy listening to.

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #1,779 of 11,521
Nice write up.The cheapest way I think to make an improvement is switching from DA10 to DA11, this might suit LCD3 better and gives you more air and better image. V200 is very good in this price range, but is there any options in between say 1000 to 3000 Dollars? I'm wondering 
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #1,780 of 11,521
@dj nellie
Interesting post, I share some of you're experiences.
I had the LCD-2rev.2 but sold it, because the clamping force was a no-go. After twenty minutes, the phones were unpleasant to wear.
Now I have the LCD-3, the clamping force is much less and I find them clearly more comfortable, BUT only for the first 70 or 80 minutes, afterwards they are just a pain. As long as these phones have a weight of 550g, the user will suffer either from the clamping force (LCD-2) or from the pure weight (LCD-3). I am using the LCD-3 with a Q audio cable, which is extremly light (and good), can't even think about using it with a heavy aftermarket cable.

At the moment I have the LCD-3 as well as the Sennheiser HD-800 connected to my great new amp, the Liquid Fire. I am always tempted to pick the HD-800 because it's so much more comfortable. I cannot yet comment about the sound qualities as the Siemens tubes have too less hours and I have to do more systematic comparisons between the phones. Anyway the HD-800 pairs excellent with the Cavalli amp and if I would have to sell one headphone today, it would not be the Sennheiser...

By the way, like you, I am also "trying to upgrade the sound quality of my music collection with the best available masters" and try to avoid all the brickwalled recordings.

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #1,781 of 11,521

Quote:
in my humble opinion, the soundstaging and resonance problems keep the LCD-2 from joining the company of other high-end headphones like T1, HD800, HE-6, etc.
It has a few such flaws in my estimation, that, even from outstanding rigs, still rear their head from time to time.

what do you mean by resonance problems?

also in my view soundstaging is purely imagined ... especially when you are listening to a single point source on each ear. if its crossfeed that's missing, then shouldn't it be the duty of the source or the amplificaiton? 

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #1,783 of 11,521

Quote:
what do you mean by resonance problems?

also in my view soundstaging is purely imagined ... especially when you are listening to a single point source on each ear. if its crossfeed that's missing, then shouldn't it be the duty of the source or the amplificaiton? 

by resonsance i mean just that.  certain sounds resonate inside the ear cup.  particularly midrange sounds like piano or acoustic guitar.
some songs sound great, and this problem never appears.
other songs, i'll hear piano, for instance, and think that the pianist forgot to use the foot petal...

re:  soundstage:  i don't wish to debate this.
but, owning several high-end headphoens - as do you, metalgear - the LCD-2 does not image and soundstage in the same way as the HD800.  can we at least agree on that?
if it is imagined, then my brain imagines a larger soundstage with the HD800 each and every time.

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #1,785 of 11,521
Most of the first batch LCD3s should have a week's burn-in now. Would like to hear if there are any improvements seen from others (except by the TP mod) - mine certainly sounds better to me. The Rev 1 creaminess is still there but seems it does not sound as nasal as I first heard it in the lower mid range. The LCD3 is opening up more and sounds really good now. Continuing with my burn in and patiently waiting for the Liquid Fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back