New Audeze LCD3
Nov 24, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #1,786 of 11,521

Quote:
@dj nellie
Interesting post, I share some of you're experiences.
I had the LCD-2rev.2 but sold it, because the clamping force was a no-go. After twenty minutes, the phones were unpleasant to wear.
Now I have the LCD-3, the clamping force is much less and I find them clearly more comfortable, BUT only for the first 70 or 80 minutes, afterwards they are just a pain. As long as these phones have a weight of 550g, the user will suffer either from the clamping force (LCD-2) or from the pure weight (LCD-3). I am using the LCD-3 with a Q audio cable, which is extremly light (and good), can't even think about using it with a heavy aftermarket cable.

At the moment I have the LCD-3 as well as the Sennheiser HD-800 connected to my great new amp, the Liquid Fire. I am always tempted to pick the HD-800 because it's so much more comfortable. I cannot yet comment about the sound qualities as the Siemens tubes have too less hours and I have to do more systematic comparisons between the phones. Anyway the HD-800 pairs excellent with the Cavalli amp and if I would have to sell one headphone today, it would not be the Sennheiser...

By the way, like you, I am also "trying to upgrade the sound quality of my music collection with the best available masters" and try to avoid all the brickwalled recordings.

Very interesting comments on the LF+HD800, wouldn't have thought it to have the best synergy.  I'll have to give that a listen someday.

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #1,787 of 11,521

Quote:
Most of the first batch LCD3s should have a week's burn-in now. Would like to hear if there are any improvements seen from others (except by the TP mod) - mine certainly sounds better to me. The Rev 1 creaminess is still there but seems it does not sound as nasal as I first heard it in the lower mid range. The LCD3 is opening up more and sounds really good now. Continuing with my burn in and patiently waiting for the Liquid Fire.

I'm finding them more like the LCD-2 Rev. 1s with regards to burn in...that is to say...no effect.

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #1,788 of 11,521
Quote:

my chief nitpick with the LCD-2 since day 1.
and, a little disappointed to read that the LCD-3 hasn't fixed this...

at first i thought the was due to the ortho drivers - since the sound was eminating from a larger, flat surface, that it wouldn't give you that holographic sound depth.
but, then i heard the HE-6, and realized that orthos can do soundstage...

oh well...  thanks for sharing your impressions. 

The LCD3 is capable, but requires the right setup. I heard the 3s on 5 setups and was only really happy with the soundstage on one, the boulder/Darkstar pairing.

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #1,789 of 11,521

Quote:
The LCD3 is capable, but requires the right setup. I heard the 3s on 5 setups and was only really happy with the soundstage on one, the boulder/Darkstar pairing.

This is starting to read like an HD800 thread. In other words personal preferences play a big role, it needs just the right setup, it needs really well-recorded source material, etc.

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #1,790 of 11,521

Quote:

Got them right here and after a straight week of A-Bing with my HE-6s (and now sold LCD-2 r.2s), the LCD-3's sound staging is on-par with the HE-6s with either my WA22 and Lyr (a substantial improvement over the LCD-2 r.1 and r.2 IMO). Love to hear the Darkstar though.
smile.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #1,791 of 11,521

Quote:

This is starting to read like an HD800 thread. In other words personal preferences play a big role, it needs just the right setup, it needs really well-recorded source material, etc.

The LCD-3s are harder on poorly recorded material than the LCD-2s, but they are NOT as finicky as the HD800s...far from it IMO.

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #1,792 of 11,521

Quote:
Got them right here and after a straight week of A-Bing with my HE-6s (and now sold LCD-2 r.2s), the LCD-3's sound staging is on-par with the HE-6s with either my WA22 and Lyr (a substantial improvement over the LCD-2 r.1 and r.2 IMO). Love to hear the Darkstar though.
smile.gif

rays waiting by the phone dude.
L3000.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #1,794 of 11,521

Quote:
smile.gif

Quote:
The LCD-3s are harder on poorly recorded material than the LCD-2s, but they are NOT as finicky as the HD800s...far from it IMO.

Just to be clear I'm not knocking the HD800, I really like it with the right tubes. And it's nice to know that the LCD-3 works well with the WA22 also 
smile.gif

Are you listening to them with the high impedance setting?

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #1,795 of 11,521

Just reporting what I heard.

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #1,796 of 11,521

Quote:

Just to be clear I'm not knocking the HD800, I really like it with the right tubes. And it's nice to know that the LCD-3 works well with the WA22 also 
smile.gif

Buddy you been telling me that for over 2yeaers and BOOM anothe 2K
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #1,797 of 11,521

Quote:

smile.gif

The HD800s are still quite a bit less forgiving of poor sources/material IMO than the LCD-3s. (Like you I also really enjoy the HD800s!).

BTW, yes....I am still using the high impedance setting with the LCD-3s.

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #1,799 of 11,521

Quote:
Buddy you been telling me that for over 2yeaers and BOOM anothe 2K
ksc75smile.gif

The problem is that I still really like my LCD-2 rev.1, and if I were to part with $2k now it would be for some new source equipment.
By the time I'm ready the LCD-4 will probably be out 
devil_face.gif

Nov 25, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #1,800 of 11,521
Darkstar......will it work well with LCD3? It'd be interesting to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back