New ATH-M50
Jan 26, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #16 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just pulled the trigger on some m50s minutes ago. Hope they are great cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey sir don you finally got yourself some M50s? Let me know how you love them! I mean, I already know you'll love them, just don't know how much.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #17 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by irjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the way I hear it, M-50's are notorious for being perfectly good un-amped. so I don't know if a R-51 is a justified purchase for the level of cost-performance ratio it would actually provide for the cans.

I agree. I guess I should specify, the amp I am using is not a dedicated amp, but a Nuforce uDAC with a built in amp.

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #19 of 79
I hope mine will be shipped on 05.02.2010.

These phones are hard to find here.. I'm dutch and didn't find a single store here that had them in stock. Eventually found a store in germany that sold them for a decent price and only 8 euro shipping cost.

I'll let you know when they arrive really looking forward to them
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #20 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzarg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. I guess I should specify, the amp I am using is not a dedicated amp, but a Nuforce uDAC with a built in amp.

I think this is an excellent choice based on the feedback and comparisons made in the uDAC thread and makes perfect sense in terms of $$ matching/performance matching. Running the M50's through a variety of amps, including higher performance models, I have found that something "good enough" is where you want to be. And, the uDAC is more than good enough by accounts given by credible members here. There is only so much to get from the M50's and putting more money into amps is not going to get you there.

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #21 of 79
Thanks for all the replies! I didn't think to ask for a bag when I purchased them. What does the bag protect the headphones from besides dust?

I will try to re-attach that spring today, hopefully it just slips inside the end jack.

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #22 of 79
I have tried running mine through my headroom bithead amp paired with my Sony S639. There is very little difference in sound. It's there, but it's slight. These headphones are really efficient and nicely detailed without the amp. I really like mine alot! I listen to them everyday. I do wish however, that they made the cable shorter. It really doesn't bode well if you're trying to use these on the go.

Soundwise they are really good. Clean and crisp. Nice bass. They do clamp a bit but not too much....for me anyway.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #23 of 79
Definitely enjoying them already
smily_headphones1.gif
A lot more than my hd 280 pros.

I just can't figure out how to get this little spring doohickywobbler back in the end piece. it is larger than the hole i'm sure so it is hard to pull out, but it is harder to put back in.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #24 of 79
That is strange. I looked at mine last night and couldn't see how you would get them back in without removing the plug.

That spring is really cool. Not sure why it was actually designed, but I like it personally. Amen on the HD280 Pros. These cans look fairly similar, but that's where it ends!!!

Jan 26, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #25 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is strange. I looked at mine last night and couldn't see how you would get them back in without removing the plug.

That spring is really cool. Not sure why it was actually designed, but I like it personally. Amen on the HD280 Pros. These cans look fairly similar, but that's where it ends!!!

The spring is supposed to relieve strain on the cable and prevents the end of the cable from bending too much. If you look at cheaper headphones, or many IEM/earbuds, the 3.5mm jack breaks a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by enthewhite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the replies! I didn't think to ask for a bag when I purchased them. What does the bag protect the headphones from besides dust?

I will try to re-attach that spring today, hopefully it just slips inside the end jack.

The bag improves the acoustics of the headphones.

Just kidding :wink: The bag's just a handy carrying case. Shame you didn't get it, but you're not missing out on too much. Are you able to go back to the store? Maybe you can get a discount, or return them and get a pair off of eBay for $90 now that you know you like them!

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #26 of 79
Damn, I could have picked these up for the same price from ebay brand new in a box
frown.gif
Oh well, I like these guys at my music store and he did sell them to me for less than their purchase price. Maybe I will ask him if they have any pouches they can give me.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #27 of 79
I wouldn't stress too much about the pouch, is pretty basic and wouldn't do that much to protect against any serious damage
Hope you're enjoying your M50s as much as I'm enjoying mine... might put them on right now actually

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #29 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally barely saw much of a difference between unamped and amping my ATH-AD700 and UM3X with a RSA P-51 Mustang. It does add the extra detail but is not worth it IMO. Yes, I was playing lossless files.

Similar experience with my A900's. Money better spent on new source, or more music!

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #30 of 79
Thanks a lot for this thread!
I just pulled the trigger on these headphones about 5 days ago, and I'm waiting for them in the mail. I was also thinking about looking into some cheap amps but from the replies here i'm guessing i dont need one. Sucks that u cant get a pouch, i got mine on ebay brand new for 90
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back