*NEW* Apple Ipod Shuffle
Mar 11, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #76 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite ironic for you then, because those stock earbuds will make all of your lossless stuff SOUND like 128kb without the hassle of on-the-fly conversion. Hey! It's a *feature*!
wink.gif

lol just like those graphics card problems on the latest MacBook Pro
tongue.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #77 of 278
i hate this audio snobbery, ok granted this is head-fi, but here we have threads for people who enjoy listening to music from their ds lite and obscure pda type devices, they are free to post, no-one goes and mentions to them that its lo-fi gone to the extreme

when i talk about my affection to this new shuffle, or ineed that of any little apple device or any other dap with stock buds, its a given that those buds limit the sound - we know this already.

but for me personally, a little device like this is being bought for super small size and lightweightedness for big bouts of gardening - therefore with a motor mower going, i am not likely to care about SQ at all, and anything above stock buds would be overkill anyway

its just about having an easily pocketable rugged (read no screen to break/read in sunlight) doesnt have to be removed from pocket to operate, just to whittle away the hours and drown out the motor and provide me with some safe familiarity and hummability factor to my musak (men at works cargo is going on there first!)

ok, so i attach a supermicro to it for my own peace of mind and anal OCD'edness and of course to boost volume levels above beforementioned mower of lawns

phew!

for those who are intending this as a really high fidelity bedside rig then i humbly agree that the seeming lack of earphone choice is a killer on the face of it and any add on more than a certain size does negate the microness

plus i get to hear something that resembles human voices when alone ploughing the fields and scattering, "don't go!"
ph34r.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #79 of 278
Mar 11, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #80 of 278
Hmm I'm just trying to visualize the adapter they'll be selling.. Wif it's long enough for the controls to be up there where they are on the stock phones, umm won't we end up with a super long headphones lead? If it's real short (more likely) will it be able to be used outside a pocket? Compromises, compromises
frown.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #81 of 278
Saw it earlier as well, wondering how it will sound. Also, the only things I have trouble with is that you need to use the remote, and there are no physical playback buttons which is stupid... 8 hours battery life is not enough imo, but it does support ALAC
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #82 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite ironic for you then, because those stock earbuds will make all of your lossless stuff SOUND like 128kb without the hassle of on-the-fly conversion. Hey! It's a *feature*!
wink.gif

Dude, they added a codec. I thought it was relevant. Are you serious with this??

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #83 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, they added a codec. I thought it was relevant. Are you serious with this??

Only half. Despite your particular application I think that lossless support on a device like this is pretty pointless, from a sound quality perspective.

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #85 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New iPod shuffle requires extra adapter for third-party headphones

quite possibly a very very stupid move, oh well its not like i was buying one anyway buti can bet that is going to piss some of the general public off when the ones that come with it break and they cant just buy any old thing to replace them

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #86 of 278
i cant believe this actually was passed as a good idea....

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #88 of 278
In other news, Ipod Touch 2G "jailbroken" or whatever you want to call it.

Woot
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #89 of 278
anybody else notice that this is the "first music player that talks" even though rockbox has had that function for years?

Edit: not to mention Phatnoize products since about 2001

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #90 of 278
Still have the first gen Shuffle (great sound, only 1 gig, and no ALAC)

Still have the 2G Shuffle (good sound, 2 gig, no ALAC, postage stamp size goodness, clip makes it the work out machine for me)

I think the inline controls pretty much kill this one for me. Even a 20 buck adapter will add too much "heft" to what should be a tiny device. The "new generation" of youngsters will be leaving it in the cold for lack of screen. While I prefer to rip CDs into lossless/MP3 256, and keep the album as a concept, my kids have songs collected from all over, rarely in album form, and rarely in a decent format (IMHO). I see them choosing song after song to play, not doing the shuffle type play style which is available on their current iPods. Only my daughter will still listen with iBuds though, my sons won't have anything to do with them since I got them AT A700s for christmas one year.

Perhaps the commuter who puts in earphones and really does not listen to the music will find these small and easy to carry about.

I plan to move my 5g ipod (30gig) to my upcoming car, and probably get a Nano 32 gig for my work day. (I currently carry my ipod from place to place, and either use available speaker docks, or some I have stashed) The Touch will continue to be my portable headphone source.

Perhaps Apple hit a home run with this device, I will not be getting one unless there is some really cool remote that comes out for it. (preferably the new "cool" remote will be smaller than the iPod, but that looks to be hard to do)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back