New Apple IEM Review (feat. ER-6i)
Jan 6, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #181 of 213
I have tried the new apple in-ear today and have the following to say:

My usual setup is a er4p straight out of an ipod classic, and have westone 3, all the UE and shure higher offerings, and q-jays.

I am very, very pleasantly surprised by the apple IE. it tilts towards my preferred sound signature of er4p and q-jays and sound very clean and clear. no muddiness like UE super.fi5pro or westone2/3. this is ALMOST the best dual-driver earphone on the market, just fall short of q-jays. no microphonics whatsoever. ZERO. excellent isolation with the mid tips. treble is very present out of the box.........and yes this comment comes from a er4 user. bass is rather like a er6 - accurate and to-the-point, lacks in quantity but definitely sufficient for most genres. what surprised me most is the midrange - lush yet pretty detailed, not as detailed as er4/6 or q-jays but is definitely a winner against the shures and um2. very beefy and neutral vocals.

I'd still stick to my er4p as my daily iem but the new apple IE is definitely a keeper.

PS: I hate cases with cable-winders...........so i hate the case even though it looks gorgeous.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #182 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by productred /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My usual setup is a er4p straight out of an ipod classic, and have westone 3, all the UE and shure higher offerings, and q-jays.

I am very, very pleasantly surprised by the apple IE. it tilts towards my preferred sound signature of er4p and q-jays and sound very clean and clear. no muddiness like UE super.fi5pro or westone2/3. this is ALMOST the best dual-driver earphone on the market, just fall short of q-jays. no microphonics whatsoever. ZERO. excellent isolation with the mid tips. treble is very present out of the box.........and yes this comment comes from a er4 user. bass is rather like a er6 - accurate and to-the-point, lacks in quantity but definitely sufficient for most genres. what surprised me most is the midrange - lush yet pretty detailed, not as detailed as er4/6 or q-jays but is definitely a winner against the shures and um2. very beefy and neutral vocals.

I'd still stick to my er4p as my daily iem but the new apple IE is definitely a keeper.

PS: I hate cases with cable-winders...........so i hate the case even though it looks gorgeous.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your ADDIEM.
darthsmile.gif

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #183 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by productred /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good isolation?
No microphonics?
Bass like ER-6i?
Wow, it's like we were listening to different IEMs. LOL.

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #184 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good isolation?
No microphonics?
Bass like ER-6i?
Wow, it's like we were listening to different IEMs. LOL.

The SCL4 has similar isolation to the ADDIEM. So it isn't bad not an etymotics but not that bad really.

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #185 of 213
I agree with much of what productred has to say about the ADDIEM. Another thing I like is that even some of my old, relatively poor recordings sound fairly good with them, whereas my W3s tend to literally pick some of them apart. And I agree that they have good isolation, better than adequate bass, and no microphonics.

Definitely a keeper for me, and a no-brainer for anyone with a touch 2g or Nano 4g.

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #186 of 213
Alright I got mine today. Shipping from Apple UK was super quick, only 45 hours from the day I pressed order button.

Take note that I am an ER-6i and Shure e4c users. Mostly listen to acoustic, Classical and Jazz. Brit Rock every now and then. I use Apple stock headset from time to time as it's pretty durable and can take any form of hostility. A good beater and the sound is decent too.

Packaging was super nice, nothing surprising here coming from avid Apple users so that was a given. These are good looking IEM alright. They are sleek and well built, the design is similar to that of E4C, which I think is the most beautiful IEM out there. However, the cable could be a little thicker. Here we have a standard Apple headphone cable. It's okay but the jack cover will worn of easily as time goes. I have this problem with all the Apple Stock Earbud. It's nasty.

First thing first, the fitting.
Out of the box the middle tips doesn't fit me. My ear holes are way bigger. I then swapped to the largest tips. The tips fall off rather easily. Fitting issue is a staggering problem for me for this headphones. I think Apple tries to make it as wearable as possible for the mass. Unluckily I am not one of those people as I have quite a weird ear shape and holes.

However, during the test I was able to get good seal (I know how to but it's time consuming, with lots of readjusting.) As opposed to Shure e4c which I got tight fitting in one go. Guess I have to try Shure tips sometime.

Sonically
First impression, the first thing I notice is clean and clear midrange. Like everybody said, it's a little bit pushy, noticeably clearer than sure E4c (which costs double the price). Sound stage is sort of okay I guess, could be better, probably comparable to Er-6i. E4c is much better in this regard with its well-defined soundstage.

Bass is definitely noticeable. Tight and accurate although bass-head may demand a tad more 'thumb'. Acceptable for all genres. Just enough.

Detail is very good, coming from an ER6i user, this is a praise. I hear clear instruments detail and can distinguish right away the position and the character of particular instruments. T

Microphonicis an issue, same as Er-6i, you will hear all those nasty cable swing and chewing. I don't mind this, I can live with it.

Sound signature is true to Apple, this is not hard to notice if you listen to a lot of Apple Stock earbuds. I would say it's an upgraded Apple stock earbuds. It sounds great for everybody outside Head-fi. Now with more juice but doesn't escape from its little brother. I don't like this signature though, I prefer that of Shure as it's more pleasing though I have to sacrifice a little detail there but certainly more enjoyable for me.

So with my limited experience with extensive range of IEM like the others in Head-Fi, I would love to conclude that this is decent, if not very good IEM. The price is well placed and the performance is better than what you would expect. In terms of performance, a mixed bag. It can sounds better than those that cost twice in midrange department, yet a little lacking in the other such as bass.

Although noticeable microphonic and ill-fitting, it balances the cons out by offering a solid construction, easily replaceable filter and considerably cheaper than some IEMs that supposedly sound better but outperformed by Apple's.

Also if you are to judge this IEM by its cost, you also have to include the usefulness of the mic and the remote. It's damn convenient for iPhone user like me. Huge benefit here.

And if you are to judge it from the manufacture perspective, I think Apple has nailed it with this IEM: Overall better song for the mass iPod, iPhone, and Apple users. Well priced, sound very good. Definitely not for Audiophile but I am very sure a lot of so called audiophiles would be very surprise listening to Apple IEM.

Overall, a keeper for me, the rest? You have to try it out yourself. Personally I wish it could be more tight in every department, sometime I find the sound just a bit too loose. (Perhaps sealing issue). For now it's my favorite IEM, you will grow on it very quickly.

It's one unique IEM that is hard to justify unless you hear it in person. No surprise why Spad found it overall better than the E4P while other members quickly bash it to death.

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #187 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by ichobi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

First thing first, the fitting.
Out of the box the middle tips doesn't fit me. My ear holes are way bigger. I then swapped to the largest tips. The tips fall off rather easily. Fitting issue is a staggering problem for me for this headphones. I think Apple tries to make it as wearable as possible for the mass. Unluckily I am not one of those people as I have quite a weird ear shape and holes.

If you still have your e4c the flex tips should fit the ADDIEM. I think they even help improve the sound. My SCL4 tips fit them with a little effort.

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #188 of 213
Thanks Onamura, after an hour and a half of readjusting now I nail the fitting with standard large tips. They are soft and comfortable and the sealing is perfect! The sound is much tighter now. You really can't go wrong with this IEM. Highly recommend for head-fiers on budget.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #189 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by ichobi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Microphonicis an issue, same as Er-6i, you will hear all those nasty cable swing and chewing. I don't mind this, I can live with it.

I don't think you should fault the ADDIEM for the sound you hear while chewing. This is occlusion and is simply the result of closing or blocking the ear canal. The better the seal the more pronounced it will be. The only sound that is attributable to an IEM's microphonics is the sound transmitted directly by the cable itself as when it rubs against clothing.

I find the ADDIEM to be very good in this area. Not as good as Westone cables, but very good nonetheless.

I'm glad you like them. They're so easy to use compared to the W3 that I find I prefer them for audiobooks, YouTube, TED and various other podcasts, reserving the 3s for more demanding material.

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #190 of 213
I've just read ALL of your comments (not really just page 1 and 13 hehehe) and when I first saw the apple IEM's i thought it was a pathetic atempt to provide a non-audiophilic person with 'good-enough' sound. I was surprised by the good quality it actualy has, (and no, I dont have one) I'm just judging from the reviews.

Although I still think they are apples way of earning more money from audiophilic noobs who dont know the first thing about IEM's but know what detail is and want a big step up from the stock ipod buds

-z50j

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #191 of 213
Mostly use Shure SE530's but have kept an eye on this thread to see feedback as I would like as a cheaper second set with the remote control for my Nano 4th gen.

They are £55 ($75) new in UK but found a guy selling his unwanted (but unused) set for £25 ($34) so going to give them a try.

Will leave my feedback when they arrive.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #192 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is what headfiers see as well. there are so many posts like, "how many drivers does it have"?

80$ and the mic etc: i think apple did things that no one even they expected: sold cheaply. do flanges and other earpieces from say er6 for instance fit the phone? id like to hear about its treble and stage when it has a good fit, if even possible.

well that question isn't totally irrelevant. Cause a dual driver "should" perform better than a single if properly made. no matter how well a single driver is made, if the same person who made the single driver did a dual driver, or triple...or quad. those would win everytime, because the frequency range that's in music can not totally be reproduced fully by a single driver, no matter how good the single driver is.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #193 of 213
^ Yes, if one is pitting a single driver against a dual driver we should hypothesize that the dual driver will do better. However, hopefully our expectations won't colour our perceptions. After all, "ceteris paribus" rarely obtains outside our thought experiments.

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #194 of 213
Well my ADDIEM's arrived today, the set I got for £25 ($34) so just gave them a try out.

For this less than half price, I got the earphones with the medium end caps only, no extra set of filters or the other two size plugs. Who knows, they may be "knocked-off" but they are totally new with no sign of use.

Now I use Shure SE530's as my main set but would never consider myself in anyway an audiophile. Still struggle to follow the terminology used in these forums to describe the pro's/con's of sound quality.

Tried them with the provided end caps then put on my Shure grey silicons which I use with my Shures & they fit great.

Apart from fit (Shure more comfy & stay in better) the sound between the two caps is identical to my ears.

The SE530's are my first expensive set which I bought after reading all the positive reviews on here & all over the web, and was a quantum leap from what I'd used before.

Again, to my ears! The Apple ADDIEM's sound excellent, clarity, bass.....its all there.

Now by comparrison, I'd say the 530's have more, puchy bass, wider sound stage and even more clarity than the Apples but not by a large margin.

The Apples are a large step up from the included apple ones and most other sub-£50 ones I used.

Now I paid £210 for the SE530's and £25 for the ADDIEM's (or £54 new). Are the Shures worth over 8x (or 4x for new) more than the Apple ??? No way. If I'd tried these as a non-audiophile before buying the Shures I'd be totally happy with them.

The SE530's obviously sound better but not by a huge margin.

Anybody who isn't an audiophile should be more than pleased with these new apple dual drivers especially if using a 4th gen Nano or 2nd Gen touch due to full use of the remote features. Best £25 I've spent on earphones ever.

The other nice thing is that EU capped Nanos have good max volume wuth these. Not as much as with the Shures but much more than the included earphones.

As source I'm using Nano 4th gen with 320kbps mp3's, no amp, no EQ.

::EDIT::

Ammendment to above: Done some more listening to some bass heavy music and the ADDIEM's have more bass with the Shure caps. Also better isolation with Shure caps.

Remember, I'm not an expert is sound quality and I'm sure many audiophiles will notice significant "Quality" differences between the Apples & the Shures, but I can understand why joe public are very pleased with the new Apple's

::2nd EDIT::

Think I've realised what people mean by microphonics!! Lots of tap, knock sounds with the Apples while walking or exercising. Simple 90% fix though. Just took the shirt clip thing off a set of cheap mobile phone earphones I have (the spring clip thing) and once you clip the cable to your top with a bit of slack it all but dissapears. These will do fine, saving my Shures from undue wear & tear while doing sweaty work like exercising or hard work (whats that !!).

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #195 of 213
I've been watching These since they came out. Never really wanting to try them but I was walking past the Apple store so I figured why not. So 79.00USD later, I'm out the door with my little white pullstring bag.
They sound pretty much as I expected. The dual B/A drivers delivered quality sound acroos most of the spectrum. They were a little lacking in bass but that is to be expected in B/A IEM's in the lower price ranges. My Senn CX500's do better in bass but they are dynamic and as such are expected to do so. They are also 79.00 retail so this would put them pretty much in the same cost catagory. I was surprised by the excelent mids and pretty clear highs. Not quite as clean and clear as my UE SF5 Pros (200.00)but respectable none the less. I would put the SQ in a league with sleek SA6 ( also 200.00) but with a less teadious high range. My Overall impression is that Apple saw an oportunity to grab an entry level Balance Armature driver IEM "Peice of The Pie" and went for it. For many years Head-Fi'ers were asking why Apple had not brought thier offerings up to par with other IEM's. (The Apple stock "Ear Bud" Jokes must number in the thousands by now.) but I think that they have made a very impressive entry into B/A land and I hope to see upgrades soon.

One particular improvement was the use of My Fiio E-5 with the "Bass Boost". I listened with The Fiio E-3, Fiio E-5, and Travagans Colors amp as well as unamped from a 2gb shuffle as well as my Ipod 5th gen 80 gb video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back