New Apple IEM Review (feat. ER-6i)
Dec 17, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #46 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HF2 is also made to be sold at $149. The ER 6i has been out for four years, yet it still in at least one person's opinion holds its own with a new dualdriver IEM. The HF5 (HF2's IEM-only brother) is from reviews clearly in the ER 4's class, not in the ER 6i's - it is much better than the 6i. If the 6i is competing with the Apple IEM and the HF5 is beating the 6i, why would you compare the HF2 to the Apple IEM? There is a price difference, as well. And I really do think that the whole "MSRP is what matters" idea is complete BS, because I don't care how much it was originally made to sell for, I care about which is better for me right now for the price I pay right now.

I love my HF2's and just got the Apple In-Ears in the mail today. I'm debating whether to open them or sell them due to the mixed reviews.
confused.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #47 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by f13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my HF2's and just got the Apple In-Ears in the mail today. I'm debating whether to open them or sell them due to the mixed reviews.
confused.gif

Please. Please. Try it out and post a review. Add some more to the confusions. Please.
beerchug.gif

I think Apple has a pretty liberal return policy so I don't think you have that much to lose.

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #48 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. I might qualify for someone who likes jazz and classical, and do not think that these are great bargains at $80. But I have qualifications: First, I'm ignoring the fact that these come with the remote and mic. That is, I'm evaluating these just on SQ. Second, I think the Apple IEMs are good for $80, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they were a "great" bargain (again, keeping in mind my setting the mic/remote aside). Of course, once you consider the mic/remote, that changes things. Not entirely sure why you like jazz and classical with these though. They don't have the soundstage and highs for that kind of music, IMO.

Damn It! You are tempting me to buy an er-6i just to compare now.
confused_face.gif

Is you opinion still based on the first listening sessions or have you been listening more?

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #50 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by ichobi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI, ilounge gives apple iem a straight B

Interesting. iLounge also gives the Er-6i an A and the D-Jays an A-. They claim that the D-Jays would have gotten an A if they included triple flange sleeves.

"To rival or exceed the ER-6i on sound for the dollar is no small feat, though, and d-JAYS fall firmly into that category.

If the d-JAYS offered the triple flanges and stability of the ER-6is, they’d be flat A earphones: we really liked their looks, feel, and sound for the $99 price, and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them to people who want more lively, exciting renditions of music than the neutral Etymotics can offer"

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #51 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. I might qualify for someone who likes jazz and classical, and do not think that these are great bargains at $80. But I have qualifications: First, I'm ignoring the fact that these come with the remote and mic. That is, I'm evaluating these just on SQ. Second, I think the Apple IEMs are good for $80, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they were a "great" bargain (again, keeping in mind my setting the mic/remote aside). Of course, once you consider the mic/remote, that changes things. Not entirely sure why you like jazz and classical with these though. They don't have the soundstage and highs for that kind of music, IMO.

I can only compare them to the other IEM I have on hand, the ER4s. Based on what I paid for the Etys ($280) the Apples are definitely a "great" bargain. As stated, I find them almost as good as the Etys in the areas where the Etys shine and considerably better in bass response. To me, anything that sounds this good and costs only $80 is a bargain, but remember--I haven't compared them to anything in their price range. Who knows, if I did I might even like your picks better.

When you say they don't have the soundstage or highs for classical or jazz reproduction I disagree completely. IMO, although they certainly don't compare to something like K-1000s--I doubt any IEM does--they are better with both genres than my ER4s. I've been listening to jazz much of the day and my appreciation for their clarity, smoothness and detail has only grown.

Perhaps I'm jaded, but it's relatively rare that anything I buy exceeds my expectations but these did, and in every way. I hope I can say the same for the Westone 3s.

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #52 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give me a break. Someone also claimed that the Apple IEM is as good as an ER-4. What do you say about that?

If you want the same functionality as the Apple IEM you need a Er-6i + a $30 mic adapter. So the price is now $100. When you compare it to the HF2 the price is half.

The reports are very mixed. In my own tests so far I prefer the Apple IEM to my UE SF3 and D-Jays. I paid 60 or less each for both. They retail for $100+ . Even at the cheap prices I paid for the UE and Jays I'd pick the Apple.

My wife tried all 3 and also prefers the Apple. She has very good ears and knows enough about what to look for in audio systems, albeit loud speakers. We auditioned for our home audio together. She doesn't have any information of the 3 brands. So her opinion was fairly objective.

Did they give a detailed review and explain why and for what type of music they prefer the apple IEM? No? It looks like jonathan did. How do you know they're not simply a bass lover that doesn't listen to any music that brings out the Ety's highs? What exactly is the difference that makes people prefer one over the other?

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #53 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did they give a detailed review and explain why and for what type of music they prefer the apple IEM? No? It looks like jonathan did. How do you know they're not simply a bass lover that doesn't listen to any music that brings out the Ety's highs? What exactly is the difference that makes people prefer one over the other?

Seriously. Spad has posted this twice in this thread already. Look right above your post. I have posted my impressions as well.

I am not a bass head by any means. Neither the UE SF3.studio nor the D-Jays are bass head phones. I hate the JVC FX66 which gets raves here because the bass over powers the highs.

Have you heard the Apple IEMs?

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #54 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When you say they don't have the soundstage or highs for classical or jazz reproduction I disagree completely. IMO, although they certainly don't compare to something like K-1000s--I doubt any IEM does--they are better with both genres than my ER4s. I've been listening to jazz much of the day and my appreciation for their clarity, smoothness and detail has only grown.

I agree. There is a smoothness to the Apple IEMs that neither the UE nor the Jays have. All the details are there but nothing is over emphasized.

The D-Jays are good but I find the sound stage to be heavily compressed. The Apple's sound stage sounds more like what my main home speakers would produce.

The presentation is more laid back, which on first listen might make the Apple's sound like they lack detail. But if you listen properly there is more detail but it isn't in your face. For example, Getz, Gilberto's The Girl from Ipanema, the 5:54 version with exaggerated stereo . The baritone sax sounds so much better/realistic on the Apple because of the added low end driver. The cymbals on the left are more easily discernible. You can place the instruments better and the Joao's voice on the right is mellifluous and every thing seems to be more smooth and refined.

The D-Jays seem to have a very forward presentation which at first blush sounds like more detail but the cymbals on the left are barely discernible because when the Sax is in full swing the single driver can't keep up with the demand of producing the low enough frequencies and the highs for the cymbals.

Same thing with Diana Krall Jingle Bells. The cymbals in the back are much more apparent along with the Bass. The D-Jays struggle with that.

So far I really like the Apple IEMs, there is just more clarity. Bass is detail too. Having the full ranger on the Apple is nice.

May be I am just enjoying the fact that this is my first dual driver experience in earphones.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #55 of 213
Hmmm...good description. The decision is getting harder...

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #57 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting review, mate. While I haven't pulled up my wallet up to guy apple iems, it's good that I don't have to give up apple products just yet
biggrin.gif

I didn't buy them either. Stole them off a friend in Sydney when they arrived. I gave it back to him after a few hours, demanding to have them back for more impression formation after.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #59 of 213
Mind you the cost is pretty low-fi, as you put it.
biggrin.gif

Now after all the reviews I get the impression that this IEM produce a very neutral sound, which does take time to appreciate when you just shift from the comparable price-wise, and all-out IEM, which in my book is a very good thing. No contest here I am ordering it tomorrow. With student discount I think I could get it down to 70-75 usd here in the UK
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #60 of 213
Still waiting for them to arrive at my local shop....
angry_face.gif

I'll compare them with my C751. I had ER6i a long time ago so i don't remember exactly how they sounded. All i know is that they had nice highs and detail but I've return them the next day because of their bass reproduction (or lack of it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back