New Apple IEM Review (feat. ER-6i)
Dec 17, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #62 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by ichobi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now after all the reviews I get the impression that this IEM produce a very neutral sound

I wouldn't say neutral...I'd say they were on the dark side, which I like. I mean, if ER-6i is neutral, then the Apple IEM is dark. Not very dark, though. Definitely more kick in the lower frequencies. Softer than C551, but better IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you say they don't have the soundstage or highs for classical or jazz reproduction I disagree completely. IMO, although they certainly don't compare to something like K-1000s--I doubt any IEM does--they are better with both genres than my ER4s. I've been listening to jazz much of the day and my appreciation for their clarity, smoothness and detail has only grown.

I'm still perplexed by this. Unless the ER-6i and ER4 are really far apart, one of us has to be wrong...even if all this is subjective. I mean, when I compared them, two of the most significant advantages of the ER-6i were (a) wider soundstage and better imaging, and (b) more clarity and detail in the highs. I wasn't playing low quality files...not lossless, but they were 320 kbps ripped from a CD. We need a third opinion on this one. Someone out there want to compare the Apple IEM to any or all of the Etymotic IEMs?

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #63 of 213
For portables, I actually prefer darker, yet fun type of cans. It's rather hard to do listen critically when commuting by bus.
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #64 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously. Spad has posted this twice in this thread already. Look right above your post. I have posted my impressions as well.

I am not a bass head by any means. Neither the UE SF3.studio nor the D-Jays are bass head phones. I hate the JVC FX66 which gets raves here because the bass over powers the highs.

Have you heard the Apple IEMs?

Sorry, I have a tab habit so this page sat open and I didn't see spad's post above mine as it was posted after I loaded the reply page but before I posted. No, I haven't heard the Apple IEMs, I am not arguing over their sound at all, I am simply arguing about the idiocy of calling the ER 6i an invalid comparison because of 4 year ago MSRP.

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #65 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I have a tab habit so this page sat open and I didn't see spad's post above mine as it was posted after I loaded the reply page but before I posted. No, I haven't heard the Apple IEMs, I am not arguing over their sound at all, I am simply arguing about the idiocy of calling the ER 6i an invalid comparison because of 4 year ago MSRP.

The idiocy is claiming that MSRP doesn't matter. MSRP determines the quality of materials that go into a product. So you can't compare anything you want. I was merely stating that it is possible for the er-6i to be better because it was more expensive to begin with and hence more work went into it. Whether it is better is up for debate.

How about an analogy then? Take a 2008 Camry v6 and a 2002 Lexus LS 430 v8 both can be had for the same price, say $24000. On pure value the used LS offers more "value" by virtue of fact that the Lexus was designed to be made for $55000 instead of the Camry's $24000. The Lexus will also have more features and be refined. Would you consider that to be a fair comparison?

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #66 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For portables, I actually prefer darker, yet fun type of cans. It's rather hard to do listen critically when commuting by bus.
wink.gif

That's how I would describe it. Darker and more fun. I find the Apple quite involving.

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #67 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Their MRSP is still 149$. I've paid mine 149€ 2 years ago and they still cost more than 120€ here, Apple IEMs are 79€. Just because their street price in US is much less than their MRSP doesn't mean anything. They are not in the same category so the comparison is invalid. By your logic, i could order IE8 (which i did
smily_headphones1.gif
) here in Europe for less than half of their MRSP and compare them for...i don't know....se310, s.fi5pro? They have the same or similar price here. Are they comparable?

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #68 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's how I would describe it. Darker and more fun. I find the Apple quite involving.

Not so much to be basshead, but I'm starting to like slightly bottom-heavy cans now. Only if bass is well controlled though. But since I've swore off all iems (TF10s were my last attempt) I'm very happy with my ESW10s
happy_face1.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #69 of 213
Has anybody tried other brand tips on the Apples?

Shure Olives?

Comply Tips?

Do they fit???

2nd question: an Apple website product review claimed everything, but the volume control, works on a 3G iPhone.

Can anyone here confirm that?

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #70 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still perplexed by this. Unless the ER-6i and ER4 are really far apart, one of us has to be wrong...even if all this is subjective. I mean, when I compared them, two of the most significant advantages of the ER-6i were (a) wider soundstage and better imaging, and (b) more clarity and detail in the highs. I wasn't playing low quality files...not lossless, but they were 320 kbps ripped from a CD. We need a third opinion on this one. Someone out there want to compare the Apple IEM to any or all of the Etymotic IEMs?

I think other opinions would only matter if one of us lacked experience to the point we couldn't interpret what we're hearing. You seem sufficiently knowledgeable and I've been seriously involved for nearly 40 years. I'm sure we both know what we hear.

But putting comparisons entirely aside and simply evaluating the Apple IEM's own merits, we shouldn't be that far apart and yet we seem to be. For example, as I write this I'm listening to Bernstein's rendition of Barber's Adagio for Strings with the NYSO directly from a touch 2g/32. It's my own 256 AAC rip and it's gorgeous. The Apple's soundstage is large and natural, sounding neither restricted nor artificially enlarged. It's simply realistic. I have just compared it to the SA5K, a headphone noted for its soundstage, and there is very little difference in that aspect. Switching to Mahler's sublime 5th with it's great swirling crescendos there's not a hint of stridency and the presentation remains balanced throughout. Does the SQ equal that of the SA5K? Absolutely not. But it's near enough that I don't feel I'm missing much. If I couldn't easily afford more expensive gear I have no doubt that I could easily live with these as my primary 'phones. I accept that you feel differently, but for me they really are that good.

Just for the record, how long did you spend with the Apple IEM? I hope it wasn't simply an hour or so before comparing it to a phone you listened to (and adjusted to) for weeks.

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #71 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just for the record, how long did you spend with the Apple IEM? I hope it wasn't simply an hour or so before comparing it to a phone you listened to (and adjusted to) for weeks.

I think he already stated that he borrowed his friend's and did a review with them in a noisy restaurant, train and some other place.

Spending time with them seems to be the key. The more I use them the better they sound to me.

Looks like I'll get the NE-7Ms tomorrow that should be interesting to compare because of the raves about them here. I can't wait.

Dec 17, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #73 of 213
Man, apple just isn't made for developing/producing headphones :p They make a great player-I love my iPod touch. But as far as the actual sound goes....

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #74 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody tried other brand tips on the Apples?

Shure Olives?

Comply Tips?

Do they fit???

2nd question: an Apple website product review claimed everything, but the volume control, works on a 3G iPhone.

Can anyone here confirm that?

My t-400 Complys are too big but I'm planning a mod if I keep the Apple IEMs.

Shure Olives work fine but are a little hard to put on. Helps some with bass but still a little lacking.

Yes, everything works on iPhone 3G except for volume control.

If these things were a little better in the bottom end they would be awesome. In short, the fit and finish are some of the best I have seen in a IEM but my NuForce ne-7s still sound better.

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #75 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My t-400 Complys are too big but I'm planning a mod if I keep the Apple IEMs.

Shure Olives work fine but are a little hard to put on. Helps some with bass but still a little lacking.

Yes, everything works on iPhone 3G except for volume control.

If these things were a little better in the bottom end they would be awesome. In short, the fit and finish are some of the best I have seen in a IEM but my NuForce ne-7s still sound better.

Thanks for the info, Budrow.

I wonder how they compare to PK2's, on a 3G iPhone...
(btw: Ken at ALO shortened my PK2 cord, for use with Shure's iPhone microphone cable - but it's still more of a hassle than Apple's placement of the mic above the "Y" in the cable)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back