New Apple IEM Review (feat. ER-6i)
Dec 16, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #31 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly! We can't really be sure. The Er-6i's are known to be detail kings. So given that the Apple's aren't that much worse than many out there, they are indeed quite decent. In the end it boils down to personal preference.

I agree that the Apple IEM is quite decent, all things (incl. price) considered. I'd get them. It's true of course, that it boils down to personal preference. If you push it, there's no such thing as a "good" IEM and a "bad" IEM. If some people like static, sibilance, small soundstage, and fragility, they're within their rights to buy a product that's like that. But I think that most of us are one the same page (or at least the same chapter) when it comes to what we judge to be "good" sound. In that regard, I think the Apple IEMs lose to the ER-6is (viz. in clarity, detail, soundstage; but certainly not in bass response and...funness?), but as you say, not by much. Throw in the price and the extras, then Apple IEMs are a good buy for iPhone users.

Quote:

And your point is? The Apple's are universally bad and the er-6i universally better loved?

Nope, that's an empirical question thus far unexplored. Well, one half of it ain't, anyway. The ER-6is are loved by many, despised by few. The jury is still out on the Apple IEMs. My point is: If it is the case that most people prefer ER-6i over the Apple IEM, it's reasonable to assume that you (or any individual consumer) would too. It's no guarantee, of course, but there's a good chance.

Quote:

Bingo. Apple didn't set out to make the best universal IEM. They decided to make an IEM that offered iPod Touch 2G and Nano 4G users a mic and volume control with better sound that the stock phones.

And I say they've succeeded! w00t for Apple!

Quote:

That argument is fine on one side. The HF2s offer the same functionality as the Apple IEM's can't be had for anything less than $150. Assuming that the ER-6i sound similar to the HF2s would you consider the HF2 to be a better "value" proposition given your SQ preference for the ER-6i than the Apple IEMs?

Nope, not better value. I'd take the Apple IEMs over the HF2s most days of the week. The price difference is just too great to justify the SQ difference. If I found the HF2s for $100, I'd probably go for the HF2s. But that's me. I'm not as much of an audiophile as a lot of people here. I'm Team Mid-Fi!
smily_headphones1.gif
I care a lot about non-sonic considerations like what the headphone looks like and how comfortalbe it is. Perhaps more than I should admit for a Head-Fier. Hehe.

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #32 of 213
Quote:

I think that's the only kind there is. I didn't quite like my UE SF3s at first as much as I do now.

Uh oh. I smell danger. Burn-in believers, flame on! (See what I did there?) No, seriously, let's not argue about burn-in on this thread. I remain agnostic about the matter.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #33 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that the Apple IEM is quite decent, all things (incl. price) considered. I'd get them. It's true of course, that it boils down to personal preference. If you push it, there's no such thing as a "good" IEM and a "bad" IEM. If some people like static, sibilance, small soundstage, and fragility, they're within their rights to buy a product that's like that. But I think that most of us are one the same page (or at least the same chapter) when it comes to what we judge to be "good" sound. In that regard, I think the Apple IEMs lose to the ER-6is (viz. in clarity, detail, soundstage; but certainly not in bass response and...funness?), but as you say, not by much. Throw in the price and the extras, then Apple IEMs are a good buy for iPhone users.

Point taken. I need to spend more time with them to make up my mind. I am also waiting for the NE-7m to ship.

Quote:

Nope, not better value. I'd take the Apple IEMs over the HF2s most days of the week. The price difference is just too great to justify the SQ difference. If I found the HF2s for $100, I'd probably go for the HF2s. But that's me. I'm not as much of an audiophile as a lot of people here. I'm Team Mid-Fi!
smily_headphones1.gif
I care a lot about non-sonic considerations like what the headphone looks like and how comfortalbe it is. Perhaps more than I should admit for a Head-Fier. Hehe.

If there was indeed a marked improvement in sound in the HF2 vs the Apple IEM, I'd probably do the same.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #34 of 213
Quote:

Uh oh. I smell danger. Burn-in believers, flame on! (See what I did there?) No, seriously, let's not argue about burn-in on this thread. I remain agnostic about the matter.

No argument. I do think there is burn-in in speakers to a certain extent but I think the bigger burn-in is humans getting accustomed to something new.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #35 of 213
Quote:

No argument. I do think there is burn-in in speakers to a certain extent but I think the bigger burn-in is humans getting accustomed to something new.

That implies that people listen to it while it burns in but most people don't.
You listen to it one day and then burn it in overnight and notice something different the next day.....

I always do a pre-burn-in straight-out-of-the-box impression then a burn-in one.

e.g. the RE2's don't need burn-in while the C700's do.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #36 of 213
Quote:

Bingo. Apple didn't set out to make the best universal IEM. They decided to make an IEM that offered iPod Touch 2G and Nano 4G users a mic and volume control with better sound that the stock phones.

A small point, and I'm sure you know this, but for those who don't, it's actually more than just a mic and volume control. It's also a full-function remote control with Play/Pause, Volume, Next Track and Previous Track.

You guys are really havin' fun, ain'cha?
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #37 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That implies that people listen to it while it burns in but most people don't.
You listen to it one day and then burn it in overnight and notice something different the next day.....

I always do a pre-burn-in straight-out-of-the-box impression then a burn-in one.

e.g. the RE2's don't need burn-in while the C700's do.

Fair enough.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #38 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A small point, and I'm sure you know this, but for those who don't, it's actually more than just a mic and volume control. It's also a full-function remote control with Play/Pause, Volume, Next Track and Previous Track.

You guys are really havin' fun, ain'cha?
tongue.gif

Yeap. It's a magic button. But they don't all work for all iPod/iPhones.
frown.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #39 of 213
Quote:

Yeap. It's a magic button. But they don't all work for all iPod/iPhones.
frown.gif

Nope, just the touch 2g and Nano 4g as stated in the quote I included. The only thing I find not to like about the remote is that the volume steps are too great for my taste. I don't want to sound like Goldilocks here, but the volume increments seem to go from too high to too low with a single stab. Knowing Apple and Steve's benevolence, they probably intentionally kept it from being perfect so as not to put Stax out of business. Just kidding. It's not really that good.

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #40 of 213
Quote:

Nope, just the touch 2g and Nano 4g as stated in the quote I included. The only thing I find not to like about the remote is that the volume steps are too great for my taste. I don't want to sound like Goldilocks here, but the volume increments seem to go from too high to too low with a single stab. Knowing Apple and Steve's benevolence, they probably intentionally kept it from being perfect so as not to put Stax out of business. Just kidding. It's not really that good.

That's the same issue as the volume rocker on my iPhone, it goes up too little a step I desire.

But Spad, you are saying Apple IEM sounds better than ER4, this give me a really good motivation to grab one of these. While I enjoy good music and audio equipment, when it come to mobility I can't find any remote/mic/ headphone combination that beats Apple stock. It works, it sounds decent and it comes free and pretty durable (as in I just shove it away if I don't use it while I have to be extra careful with other more expensive head pieces.

Anyhow, regarding the ER6i and its superb detail, yes I do think it even beats Shure E4c which costs 3 times the price in this department. If Apple is not that worse, I am willing to try.

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #41 of 213
Quote:

The Er-6i retails for $149 the only reason you can get it for $7x.xx is because it has been out for 4 years.

You are really comparing a product designed to be sold at $149 vs one designed to be sold at $80 which offers mic and other controls for the price. The proper comparison would be an Hf2 vs the Apple IEM.

The question then becomes would you buy a HF2 over and er-6i at the current price of the hf2?

The Apple IEM is so new that you can't even buy it since every Apple store is out of stock. So you aren't going to find it for cheap. Simple supply and demand.

I ordered the Ne-7m and was hoping to pick up the Apple one to compare. I can't find it in stock at any Apple store in the SF bay area.

The HF2 is also made to be sold at $149. The ER 6i has been out for four years, yet it still in at least one person's opinion holds its own with a new dualdriver IEM. The HF5 (HF2's IEM-only brother) is from reviews clearly in the ER 4's class, not in the ER 6i's - it is much better than the 6i. If the 6i is competing with the Apple IEM and the HF5 is beating the 6i, why would you compare the HF2 to the Apple IEM? There is a price difference, as well. And I really do think that the whole "MSRP is what matters" idea is complete BS, because I don't care how much it was originally made to sell for, I care about which is better for me right now for the price I pay right now.

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #42 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by ichobi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the same issue as the volume rocker on my iPhone, it goes up too little a step I desire.

But Spad, you are saying Apple IEM sounds better than ER4, this give me a really good motivation to grab one of these. While I enjoy good music and audio equipment, when it come to mobility I can't find any remote/mic/ headphone combination that beats Apple stock. It works, it sounds decent and it comes free and pretty durable (as in I just shove it away if I don't use it while I have to be extra careful with other more expensive head pieces.

Anyhow, regarding the ER6i and its superb detail, yes I do think it even beats Shure E4c which costs 3 times the price in this department. If Apple is not that worse, I am willing to try.

I am not sure if the super detail in the ER-6i has to do with the fact that it doesn't produce bass as much as the Apple's. I haven't heard the er-6i so I might be talking out of my nether regions here. Usually bass tends to mellow out the highs. It could easily be perceived as lack of detail. The bass on the Apple IEM isn't massive amounts but more accurate.

With the UE SF3 it seems that the produce more detail when listening because the mids are so prominent. But when I switch to the Apple on the same song I get the more detail but the lower end is more present so you don't get drawn to the mids and highs as much. The Apple IEMs seem more balanced to me. After a few back and forths between the UE and AIEM (Apple IEM) I am liking the Apple more.

The UEs sound bigger but have a very narrow front to back sound stage. The Apple seems to be much better at the front to back stage reproduction. The UEs and Apple are about the same in the left to right stage. I'd say the Apple is more open and airy.

The more I listen to the Apple IEMs the more I like them. The D-Jays have a very similar sound signature. The Apple has more detail, a more 3D sound stage, open and airy and slightly better details.

My NE-7M just shipped. If they shipped it from Milpitas I should get them tomorrow or day after. :)

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #43 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by ichobi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Of course, as this thread clearly shows, people's tastes vary widely. But I can't imagine anyone who likes jazz and classical, as I do, not agreeing that these are great bargains at $80. Rap, electronic, etc. aficionados may find them lacking, but I certainly don't. I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

I agree entirely about not likely delicate gear. I sold my W2002 for exactly that reason. I was always afraid I would abrade the cable or scratch the lacquer. I liked them but I was honestly glad to see them go. Reminds me of my second wife but that is too far OT even for me.
tongue.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #44 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HF2 is also made to be sold at $149. The ER 6i has been out for four years, yet it still in at least one person's opinion holds its own with a new dualdriver IEM. The HF5 (HF2's IEM-only brother) is from reviews clearly in the ER 4's class, not in the ER 6i's - it is much better than the 6i. If the 6i is competing with the Apple IEM and the HF5 is beating the 6i, why would you compare the HF2 to the Apple IEM? There is a price difference, as well. And I really do think that the whole "MSRP is what matters" idea is complete BS, because I don't care how much it was originally made to sell for, I care about which is better for me right now for the price I pay right now.

Give me a break. Someone also claimed that the Apple IEM is as good as an ER-4. What do you say about that?

If you want the same functionality as the Apple IEM you need a Er-6i + a $30 mic adapter. So the price is now $100. When you compare it to the HF2 the price is half.

The reports are very mixed. In my own tests so far I prefer the Apple IEM to my UE SF3 and D-Jays. I paid 60 or less each for both. They retail for $100+ . Even at the cheap prices I paid for the UE and Jays I'd pick the Apple.

My wife tried all 3 and also prefers the Apple. She has very good ears and knows enough about what to look for in audio systems, albeit loud speakers. We auditioned for our home audio together. She doesn't have any information of the 3 brands. So her opinion was fairly objective.

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #45 of 213
Quote:

Of course, as this thread clearly shows, people's tastes vary widely. But I can't imagine anyone who likes jazz and classical, as I do, not agreeing that these are great bargains at $80. Rap, electronic, etc. aficionados may find them lacking, but I certainly don't. I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

Hmm. I might qualify for someone who likes jazz and classical, and do not think that these are great bargains at $80. But I have qualifications: First, I'm ignoring the fact that these come with the remote and mic. That is, I'm evaluating these just on SQ. Second, I think the Apple IEMs are good for $80, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they were a "great" bargain (again, keeping in mind my setting the mic/remote aside). Of course, once you consider the mic/remote, that changes things. Not entirely sure why you like jazz and classical with these though. They don't have the soundstage and highs for that kind of music, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back