New and Improved* Luxury & Precision L5 PRO 32bit DSD DAP with AKM AK4490, touch screen, rosewood blackplate
Dec 9, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #917 of 1,351
Also, battery status info (in %) would be great to have in future FW upgrades.

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #918 of 1,351
Just got mine yesterday. VERY nice! 
Solid, great looking DAP. So far about 6hrs play time with only full size phones. Currently playing with Enigmacoustics Dharma 1000 on ROCK EQ setting. Truly revealing and clean. Has very fast forward sound but imaging is excellent. Has good amp power for full size phones up to 300 ohm. With Beyer T1, you have to get it up to about 55 to get solid sound. But anything 300 ohms and under is no issue. Currently playing 16/44 CD quality PCM files. 
Player shows good separation and spaciousness. Sound stage is average but solid sounding. Depth is neutral I find (vocals are not in your face nor lost in the background).
Quick comparison:Solely my opinion here! Everyone is different.
Cayin N6 is more laid back and dark, L5p is more revealing and clean sounding. Overall better SQ on the L5P.
AK 120II................great for IEM's but not nearly as capable in power or SQ as L5P. L5P at 1/2 the price is superior in every way on full size cans. But I think all AK players are way overpriced for the return on investment in SQ. Stick to IEM's on 120II. L5P is nicer sounding and more enjoyable with pretty much every genre I've thrown at it.
Cowon Plenue P1..................this is a toss up to preference. P1 is great with the Jet Effect and EQ settings. I personally call this one a draw........each has it's strengths. Pretty even in price so makes sense. For the money, both are great units that are approaching true audiophile level.
HiFiMan 901s with balanced card...................great player with lots of power. Has a warm natural sound. UI is slow and somewhat archaic. L5P is very close and beats it in some regards (imaging, clarity). This is a personal preference though. With the standard amp car on HiFiMan 901s, L5P beats it. So on a level playing field, L5P is $600 USD less for comparable performance.

Headphones: Dharma 1000, Audeze LCD-X/XC, Senn HD700/800, AKG K812, Beyer T1/T90

All sound great! L5P sounds fantastic with Dharmas and Audeze phones. A little too bright with K812 and HD800.
It really needs the firmware upgrade to add more low end extension. With that added, the AKG's and Senns would be wonderful and not as clinical.

More to follow. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #919 of 1,351
OOPS!

Conclusion to my previous post. 

L5P is a definite "Highly Recommend". 

With a few firmware updates/upgrades, this one will compete with the very best at any price.

I am receiving my new Acoustic Research AR-M2 this week. Will be nice to compare with L5P and my other DAPS!

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #920 of 1,351
Enigmacoustics Dharma 1000, is that the new electric static headphone that everyone was talking about? Heard that it got lots of potentials?

Thank you for you input zman. We have a lot of new L5 Pro owners these few days, I guess people have been taking the advantage of Shenzhenaudio's discount?

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #921 of 1,351
For those interested, I just published my L5PRO review on my site 
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #923 of 1,351
Hi John.

Yes the Dharma 1000 is the new Electrostatic headphone with upper end electrostatic and the low end is dynamic. It is a fabulous headphone.
The easy way to describe it is a happy median between the more dark laid back sound of the Audeze LCD-3 and the fast neutral accuracy of the Senn HD800. Truly an excellent piece. I would highly recommend this headphone to anyone. It is not as good as either of the other 2 in their respective strengths but almost! With a little burn in time, it really is for the price in my opinion one heck of a jack of all trades phone. It is $1200 USD so less than either of the other 2. In my opinion, a "Must Have" for those looking to get the speed and detail out of the HD800 mixed with the Darker laid back musical sound of the LCD-3.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #924 of 1,351

For those interested, I just published my L5PRO review on my site 
wink.gif

To make it more accessible I guess. http://www.headfonia.com/review-luxury-precision-l5pro-sound-first/

Nice review, was just about to sleep and the words storms into my head. Hopefully I don't dream of your review
tongue_smile.gif

You beat me to it, was just reading and enjoying this fantastic review from Lieven!

Paul, I guess will wait for your review next 
wink.gif
 No pressure, buddy
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #925 of 1,351
Recieved my L5p upgraded from L5 this week. thanks John!
Nice looking woody back with lether case! and inner memory has been formatted FAT32 already.

I updated FW to 1.0.0.5 from 1.0.0.3 today. and found a bug still remains.
after screen off , side key is usable such as stop/start, next/prev even though Lock mode is on.
It is not fatal but I hope it to be fixed.

Ken

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #926 of 1,351
Great review Ultrainferno.

I agree - swiping is on the top of my wish list, scrolling can be tedious and it's all about user experience - specially on a pricey piece of equipment.

four days in and I'm really enjoying the sound - Anyone tried the DAP with the Alpha Dogs? I'm using Oppo's PM3s now but I've been wanting the dogs for a bit now.

Cheers! 

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #927 of 1,351
  Recieved my L5p upgraded from L5 this week. thanks John!
Nice looking woody back with lether case! and inner memory has been formatted FAT32 already.

I updated FW to 1.0.0.5 from 1.0.0.3 today. and found a bug still remains.
after screen off , side key is usable such as stop/start, next/prev even though Lock mode is on.
It is not fatal but I hope it to be fixed.

Ken

Hey Ken,

Hope you end up liking it. =)

I am having a hard time understanding the bug you describe, are you talking about side keys usable while lock mode is on? There is a setting in advanced settings that control this behavior, same setting for the volume knob too. 

John

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #929 of 1,351
Hi I Just Bought L5pro From Ebay. I used to use the cypherlabs picollo amp for my dx90. Is there any use if i use the L5Pro ? and I think touch screen without scrolling is annoying.but Great Sound!
Hope to see the scrolling upgrade SOON!!!!

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #930 of 1,351
  Hi I Just Bought L5pro From Ebay. I used to use the cypherlabs picollo amp for my dx90. Is there any use if i use the L5Pro ? and I think touch screen without scrolling is annoying.but Great Sound!
Hope to see the scrolling upgrade SOON!!!!

I own a Cypher Labs theorem 720 dac(not Picollo but you get the point =D), and I can tell you L5 Pro can drive anything theorem 720 dac is capable of.  In fact, I believe L5 Pro offering higher power output than Picollo. (280mw > 200mw on 32 ohms)

But my 720 does has a warmer sound though, does pairs slightly better with analytical headphones than L5 Pro, but it is a mess to carry with comparing to L5 Pro. =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back