New and Improved* Luxury & Precision L5 PRO 32bit DSD DAP with AKM AK4490, touch screen, rosewood blackplate
Dec 8, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #901 of 1,351
  HI everyone,

New to the forums but not as a reader of the knowledge and expertise that you guys provide on this site. I just got my L5 Pro yesterday and I have one issue that may or may not be an issue at all. The 3.5mm jack is really a pain to deal with, unlike most players and other devices I've used, this one is not smooth at all. I can plug in my cable 3/4 of the way in without an issue than I have to apply a lot of force to plug it in fully and it takes equal amount of force to extract the plug. Has anyone had this experience before? I'm concerned this may cause issue down the road and since I just purchased it, the seller can still help me out here. Don't want to break the plug or anything like that or damage my cable etc.

Ps. I bought this from Shenzhenaudio and they delivered this baby in 7 days from day of placing the order to arrival to my house in the US - that's awesome on my books!

thanks for the help in advance.

Hey GTMarauder46, 

Welcome on board! Glad some one take the discount offer from Shenzhenaudio. 

3.5MM sockets uses traction to hold on to connector and usually loosen up quite a lot after some usage. L5 Pro uses a good quality one which has a some what locking mechanic. Basically the end section of the socket require a bit more force to push in but hold on to the connector quite well without worrying it loosen up over time(only my interpretation though). Some might experience it tighter than others could be due to all the bumping in shipping and maybe something else. It should be completely normal and will also loosen up a little once you use it for several times. 

John

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #902 of 1,351
  John

Are you actually testing new Beta firmware now - or has there been any hint at what is actually on the horizon?

Paul,

Sorry I missed this one.

No I have not been testing the beta firmware, but I have been rushing Mr.Wan to finish that functionality for the sake of you guys.

Basically like this  ---> 
deadhorse.gif

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #903 of 1,351
Just got the player. Now I have a problem: how to hard reset it. Or simply shut it down. When I press on/off button for more then 3 sec, nothing happened.

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #905 of 1,351
Also then I press the settings icon on touch screen it turns into playlist icon instead of taking me to the settings. Need to reset it, I guess.

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #906 of 1,351
Pressing for more when 8 sec - can't shut it down.

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #907 of 1,351
I got it. You have to press the on/off button and pause button on the side together to shut it down.

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #908 of 1,351
Thanks - John, hope this won't be an issue down the line.

So far digging the sound, def sounds better than the dx90 and lotoo paw 5000 that I have tried before seeing this thread. Hoping the UI matures quickly haha!

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #909 of 1,351
Yes, sound wise this DAP does sound very mature. Not as good as Latoo Paw Gold but better when AK120II. Very clean dynamic sound with great bass and treble extension. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #910 of 1,351
  Yes, sound wise this DAP does sound very mature. Not as good as Latoo Paw Gold but better when AK120II. Very clean dynamic sound with great bass and treble extension. 

I would say Paw Gold is a bit more revealing and better separation. But they has very different sound signature, might be good to keep both as they would pairs up differently for different headphones or music genres.

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #912 of 1,351
Maybe, your headphones and iems you tried with LPG didn't have the synergy. As you stated for TH900.
My W60 and HD600 have great synergy with LPG and I really enjoy it.

L5 pro has the same great synergy with W60. But HD600s sounds thin and boring straight out of it.

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #913 of 1,351
I have the same concerns according UI: swiping and gapless are the must for the modern touch screen DAP. Every other touch screen DAP has it, why not L5 pro?

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #914 of 1,351
  I have the same concerns according UI: swiping and gapless are the must for the modern touch screen DAP. Every other touch screen DAP has it, why not L5 pro?

processing and control resources limitation, i think. there will be not much value in using a touch screen if no swiping is available, just saves the clicking on buttons.

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #915 of 1,351
L&P working on it (touch swiping), but it's not recognized as the highest priority since they want to release New Features (USB DAC, EQ, etc.) first.  Indeed, touch screen control on a system which doesn't run a native Android is not easy to implement and it takes resources.  L&P/Mr Wan has the right approach to this - first you allocate resources to new functionality, get it to work right, and then optimize the interface.  If you will go ahead the other way around, you might end up with touch swiping as the only "working" update.

Personally, I prioritize touch screen swiping above USB DAC and EQ - I don't want to use EQ and L5 Pro looks too good to be used as a dongle connected to my laptop 
wink.gif
  But this is Mr Wan's baby, and he is raising it his own way, applying his own parental skills
biggrin.gif

Regarding PAW Gold vs L5 Pro, I have both and highlighted differences in my recent LPG review on head-fi.  These DAPs do NOT compete against each other, they compliment each other.  Yes, it's all about the synergy with different headphones because they have different sound signature.  LPG is better for a more analytical/critical listening where it could be a bit harsh with some brighter tuned headphones.  L5Pro is more musical and smoother and actually pairs up better with neutral/brighter headphones to balance out their sound sig.  When I analyze/test new headphones, I reach out for LPG, when I want to sit back and relax - L5 Pro is my go to.

Btw, regarding touch scrolling with L5 Pro, yeah, it's a bit of a PITA with clicking buttons to scroll, but when you use hw playback controls (next/prev) buttons on the side - it makes scrolling A LOT faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back