New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jul 24, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #1,501 of 2,828
You are the 2nd person to use that type of input level into the GS-X, and report that 9 oclock is a good volume to listen with Low Gain. I appear to be the odd man out on this one. I don't listen at loud volume so I must have something setup up slightly different than you.

I am using a XLR headphone cable, but I wouldn't think that would lower the volume. My headphones are ZMF Verite Closed (300 ohm, 99db sensitivity). Maybe you are running lower impedance headphones?
VC Ironwood, same as you.

Jul 24, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #1,502 of 2,828
This is exactly why I moved away from the RME and use the bifrost2. As a software engineer, it’s too complex to just get it to work. I guess if I were an electrical engineer it would probably be cake.

Jul 24, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #1,503 of 2,828
This is exactly why I moved away from the RME and use the bifrost2. As a software engineer, it’s too complex to just get it to work. I guess if I were an electrical engineer it would probably be cake.
We both have it working very well. We just seem to be getting different volume levels, or my volume preference is louder than I thought. :gs1000smile:

Jul 24, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #1,504 of 2,828
If you want another data point, my Oppo 205 is putting out 4.2 V (rms) via the balanced connection to the Mini, and with the Mini set to high gain, I listen moderately loudly at 10 o'clock using my HD800S. 300 ohm, 97 dB sensitivity.

edit: And I'm using the HD800S with the SE headphone output.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #1,505 of 2,828

Maybe can be the the volume of the music. Or if you using SE or XLR output. For example. When I listen to classical, vocal music sometimes I need to pump the volume above 12:00 o clock volume position on high gain with he1000 v2 using SE cable.

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #1,506 of 2,828
Probably also depends on whether you have the DACT or ALPS attenuator.

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #1,507 of 2,828
Probably also depends on whether you have the DACT or ALPS attenuator.
If the attenuator can effect volume differences, then will add as a reference that I have the DACT.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #1,509 of 2,828
That mesh amazon drawer I posted earlier doesnt look so bad as an amplifier stand

20200724_183406.jpg

Jul 25, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #1,510 of 2,828
I recently got the GS-X Mini and am working on optimizing the setup. I only have 2 decent interconnects. One is a set of custom RCA's with furutech connectors. I don't know the wire used. The other is a set Purist Audio Design Venustas XLR.

From what I read, the XLR should have aquieter background. In my super limited testing this was true. But the Purist XLR seemed to reduce the highest frequencies a little bit, removing the airiness or openness of the sound. The RCA cables didn't do this, but thet didn't have as low a noise floor. I'd like to try a different set of XLR that don't lose the highs.

Do you have any XLR Interconnect recommendations at $300 or less? A length of 05.m to 1.5m would be best for me.
To make a realistic comparison between RCA single-handed and XLR balanced you need to use the same cable, terminated to the two different connectors. If you’re looking for hi resolution XLR cables you might look at it a used pairs of WireWorld Silver or gold Eclipse on both Audiogon and US Audiomart. Your dollar will go a lot further on a used pair and these are excellent by any standard.

Jul 26, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #1,511 of 2,828
Check out Audio Envy, great bang for buck interconnect, 1m <$200.
https://audioenvy.com/product/monitor/onestian-gl-pair/
To make a realistic comparison between RCA single-handed and XLR balanced you need to use the same cable, terminated to the two different connectors. If you’re looking for hi resolution XLR cables you might look at it a used pairs of WireWorld Silver or gold Eclipse on both Audiogon and US Audiomart. Your dollar will go a lot further on a used pair and these are excellent by any standard.
Thanks for the XLR cable suggestions. I will check these out. :)

Jul 30, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #1,512 of 2,828
Possibly a dumb question but I was wondering if there is any risk with turning on the GSX Mini with a power strip 'on' switch rather than the power switch on the front of the unit. I plugged my amp into my power strip and turned the strip on, not realizing that the amp's power switch was already in the 'on' position. I know some amps are not supposed to be turned on this way because they have power sequencing with the amp's dedicated power switch. Is it possible that I damaged something?

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #1,513 of 2,828
Possibly a dumb question but I was wondering if there is any risk with turning on the GSX Mini with a power strip 'on' switch rather than the power switch on the front of the unit. I plugged my amp into my power strip and turned the strip on, not realizing that the amp's power switch was already in the 'on' position. I know some amps are not supposed to be turned on this way because they have power sequencing with the amp's dedicated power switch. Is it possible that I damaged something?
Seems unlikely to cause any problems imo. This amp isn’t graceful in its on/off behavior in the first place (audible pops and whatnot). Anyone who knows otherwise please correct me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back