New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jan 20, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #1,051 of 2,819
10 to 12 with my Auteur and HD800S. 8 to 10 with my Elex. Both on L gain.
One of my only complaints is that I wish there were 3 gain settings like the GS-X mk2, since I would like a bit more knob freedom.
Is the H gain pretty much for Susvara and HE-6?

Definitely high gain for HE6se. I run it behind other volume controlled DACs. I usually run mine on high and at 3pm, and have to kick the other DACs volume up a bit. Most other headphones need only volume set 11am to 12pm, and low gain is my preferred setting. The HE6se certainly suck some juice. Like other posters I would like see GSX-mini specs posted for all major impedance levels. @justin w.

Jan 21, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #1,052 of 2,819
but the tax, VAT and custom fees are horrendous (app. 25%)

25%? I didn't know it is 25%. :triportsad: I had to pay only around 28 gbp tax for Burson C3X. I think it was sent from Hong Kong.

Maybe they will be selling cheaper (no 25%) GS-X Mini amps at CanJam London?
I bought Stellia cans there. They offered good discount and there was no extra tax.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #1,053 of 2,819
I don't post often. Just been lurking and reading over the years. But after hearing my new matte black GS-X mini with Audeze LCD-X cans I have to say I am simply stunned. I can hear John Bonham's squeeky speed king like never before. It's so clear now that it actually distracts me from the music :astonished: I'm hearing "stuff" from some of my sources that I haven't been able to hear before. It's like listening to all new music. It's hard to stop listening. And I can't take these cans off. (Anyone who says the LCD-X is too heavy and uncomfortable is full of bunk.)

Anyway, thank you Jason for a such a high quality product. I have never seen such craftmanship. Superb! Two:thumbsup::thumbsup:up.

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #1,054 of 2,819
I don't post often. Just been lurking and reading over the years. But after hearing my new matte black GS-X mini with Audeze LCD-X cans I have to say I am simply stunned. I can hear John Bonham's squeeky speed king like never before. It's so clear now that it actually distracts me from the music :astonished: I'm hearing "stuff" from some of my sources that I haven't been able to hear before. It's like listening to all new music. It's hard to stop listening. And I can't take these cans off. (Anyone who says the LCD-X is too heavy and uncomfortable is full of bunk.)

Anyway, thank you Jason for a such a high quality product. I have never seen such craftmanship. Superb! Two:thumbsup::thumbsup:up.
Welcome aboard! I share your kudos for the GS-X mini “black ops edition”:). I have the LCD2C with the new headband implementation....the weight concerns are a non issue for me. Best cans outta my stable; paired with the brilliant design of the GS-X mini...good to go. Of course...no one’s heard it all...but I suspect I’m unlikely to hear much better than this dynamic HP duo.

Queue: Listening to Kevin Garrett’s album Hoax.
44CC4F17-0F3F-4DF4-94CB-37BC8F8759C9.jpeg
44ADA2BE-5D99-43DE-BB2C-5C215D93E48D.jpeg

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #1,055 of 2,819

Hi Paul, The LCD-X makes great music, and pairing it with the GSX-mini is a great combo. It works well with DAPs as well since its so easy to drive. The LCD-X is heavy though....not uncomfortable per se, but not good for long listening sessions - I wouldn't choose them for a full evening session. I ended up selling mine recently. Great cans, but just wanted to thin the herd a bit. What other headphones do you have? @Paul Clark

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,056 of 2,819
Hi Paul, The LCD-X makes great music, and pairing it with the GSX-mini is a great combo. It works well with DAPs as well since its so easy to drive. The LCD-X is heavy though....not uncomfortable per se, but not good for long listening sessions - I wouldn't choose them for a full evening session. I ended up selling mine recently. Great cans, but just wanted to thin the herd a bit. What other headphones do you have? @Paul Clark

Admittedly, the LCD-X is heavy but on my thick skull I can wear them all day. I also wear glasses and don't have any issues. Certainly a pair of cans you would enjoy in a lazyboy and not actively dancing around.

Don't have a long list but the cans (were) in my stable are (recently sold) Grado 325i, Grado 80e, AKG K701 (very comfortable) and some very old HD430 Sennheisers I keep around. The LCD-X simply beats them all to a pulp. Speaking of uncomfortable, I could never get used to the Grados. They were never comfortable to me so I couldn't hold long listening sessions with them. I'm very happy with the LCD-X. And this amp... :)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #1,057 of 2,819
I just added some ZMFs to the stable a couple of months ago. For weight and comfort, I think the Ether2 from Dan Clark Audio is hard to beat. Things are super light.

My GSX-mini is in Satin Grey,...really slick looking color

Jan 26, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #1,058 of 2,819
Admittedly, the LCD-X is heavy but on my thick skull I can wear them all day. I also wear glasses and don't have any issues. Certainly a pair of cans you would enjoy in a lazyboy and not actively dancing around.

Don't have a long list but the cans (were) in my stable are (recently sold) Grado 325i, Grado 80e, AKG K701 (very comfortable) and some very old HD430 Sennheisers I keep around. The LCD-X simply beats them all to a pulp. Speaking of uncomfortable, I could never get used to the Grados. They were never comfortable to me so I couldn't hold long listening sessions with them. I'm very happy with the LCD-X. And this amp... :)
I agree. I have the X and XC and they are both excellent.

Jan 26, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #1,059 of 2,819

Thanks for the impressions! 70 pages so far and hardly any sound impressions, so it's nice to read one finally!

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #1,060 of 2,819
What I also like about the GS-X mini, besides that it's sound like a wire, is the balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs. This leaves the choices of DACs to be wide open.

Getting back to the sound, it can be disturbing at times to hear a very familiar recording and for the first time notice all the warts. It's hard to explain my feelings about this. I'm happy to have such a transparent system, OPPO >bal> GS-X mini >bal> LCD-X, to let me explore these old recordings on SACD all over again. But then again those warts, lol.

The GS-X mini drives the LCD-X very easily. In low gain mode I usually dial in the DACT between about 11 and 1 o'clock. I tried streaming an online internet radio station (Linn Jazz) that streams at 320kbps. This amp just gets out of the way and drives the LCD-X with aplomb. Love a bass that you swear you can feel some air moving. With the right source, and a big helping hand by the GS-X, the bass out of the LCD-X is incredible. Both worth the freight IMO.

Jan 26, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #1,063 of 2,819
I picked up a GSX Mini a few months ago and probably have about 250 hours on it. For reference, my chain is primarily Metrum Ambre > Metrum Adagio > GSX Mini > ZMF Verité Closed but I've also spent some time recently with the HD-800S.

So far, to say I'm impressed with the GSX Mini would be an understatement. I was kind of on the fence about the purchase because I love my other amp (ZMF Pendant) but it has far exceeded my expectations across the board. First, it has a stone cold dead silent background to work with. The dynamics are outstanding and when called for, the amp can startle you. There is a really easy, clean, well defined quality to the sound that appeals to me. I'm hearing a ton of detail but there is a rock solid weight to the sound with a little warmth that keeps it from being fatiguing. I'm finding the Mini to be a perfect match with the VC but I could see it working well with all types of headphones. It's really a great amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back