New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
May 23, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #1,231 of 2,819
Hello Head-Fi family

Long time reader but very first post.

Just quickly wanted to share my impressions of the Headamp GSX-Mini.
I received mine a couple of months ago and i'm completly blown away by its performance! This is endgame for me. It drives my Abyss Diana perfectly (she loves some serious power), and i'm also impressed with how the performance of the HD600 elevates.
Tonality, clarity, details,... I don't have the vocabulary to really explain how good I think this amplifier is.
A must-listen for every headphone lover.

Huge thanks to the Headamp-Team - What an amazing amp you came up with.

Cheers :)

May 23, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #1,232 of 2,819
Hello Head-Fi family

I received mine a couple of months ago and i'm completly blown away by its performance! This is endgame for me. It drives my Abyss Diana perfectly (she loves some serious power), and i'm also impressed with how the performance of the HD600 elevates.
Tonality, clarity, details,... I don't have the vocabulary to really explain how good I think this amplifier is.

But what did you think of it?

May 23, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #1,233 of 2,819
I'll try my best to explain

Bass: is texured, very resolving and always in control
Mids: sound natural & musical
Highs: are extended & very clean with lots of details but never harsh

Overall it sounds natural / neutral to me, maybe with a hint of warmth. I would say a balanced, very detailed, yet still smooth sounding amplifier.
But of course, hearing is different from person to person.

& build-quality ist top notch. Feels very sturdy.

May 23, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #1,234 of 2,819
Hello Head-Fi family

Same to me, I think It's my end game AMP too.

May 23, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #1,235 of 2,819

Overall it sounds natural / neutral to me, maybe with a hint of warmth. I would say a balanced, very detailed, yet still smooth sounding amplifier.

Yep, that just GS-X mini in short note :)

May 23, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #1,236 of 2,819

I meant my comment as a joke. Glad you love it. Just ordered on myself

May 23, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #1,237 of 2,819
Hello Head-Fi family

Curious which headphones you are using primarily with the mini...multiple pairs? What color did you go with?

Looking forward to owning this amp myself!

May 23, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #1,238 of 2,819

Yep, that just GS-X mini in short note :)

thanks for that info

can I ask what amps have you come from leading into the gsx mini, as an idea of what you’ve been used to

May 23, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #1,240 of 2,819
I still have IFi Pro ICan.
i've demoed the ifi oro ican and almost almost bought it. I had the cayin iha6 and that (to my ears) just under the ability of the ifi - too close to upgrade at the time

can i trouble you for a couple of comments of the ifi (non tube setting) v the gsx mini

May 23, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #1,241 of 2,819
GS-X MINI has better treble than Pro ICan, better timbre and resolution but still non over emphasis.
Same gose to bas, on GS-X goes lower and has better control.
In mindrange both are great, both has touch of warmth and great resolution.
Overall GS-X is little faster, has better resolution, i can hear more detail, sound stage is bigger.
Pro ICan is still very good AMP (and it has tubes!) but for neutral or slightly warmer headphones i prefer GS-X mini.

May 23, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #1,242 of 2,819
GS-X MINI has better treble than Pro ICan, better timbre and resolution but still non over emphasis.
Overall GS-X is little faster, has better resolution, i can hear more detail, sound stage is bigger.
Pro ICan is still very good AMP (and it has tubes!) but for neutral or slightly warmer headphones i prefer GS-X mini.
thanks for that - much appreciated

how about for something like the utopia or he1000se that can have energy in the top end?
would you say the gsx mini treble is better in quality but the ifi (non tube) is less ikely to be too bright up there relative to the gsx mini?

May 23, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #1,243 of 2,819
Yep, treble quality is better on GS-X mini than Pro ICan, for headphones with big stock ammount of treble i rather go for ICan rather GS-X mini.
But i didn't listen Utopia or HR-1000se so im not 100% sure.

May 23, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #1,244 of 2,819
Man! It's posts like these that make me impatient lol. My mini is currently on order, and I am "patiently" waiting to hear it!! It should sound amazing with the RME feeding it and HD800s or HD650!

May 23, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #1,245 of 2,819
Man! It's posts like these that make me impatient lol. My mini is currently on order, and I am "patiently" waiting to hear it!! It should sound amazing with the RME feeding it and HD800s or HD650!

I got my mini earlier today! and This is the setup I'm using right now. So far I've been enjoying the mini. I do have to say it does get a bit warm. I may pick up a small fan (I know someone linked one earlier in the thread) since I currently live where its hot mostly all year round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back