New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Apr 3, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #2,656 of 2,819
More I think about it, I'll probably end up keeping the mini for the home office. The form factor is great for limited desk space. I'll put the bliss with a holo may in a dedicated listening space next year.
Mine sits on my desk, front and center, with BorderPatrol next to it. Also have connected to 3.5mm audio out on back of my monitor. In addition to headphones, I use it to control my HEDD monitors. Zoom meetings have never sounded so good…

May 13, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #2,658 of 2,819
Has someone watching this thread compared the GS-X mini to a Kinki Studio THR-1?

I mai be able to get a used GS-X which is almost the price of a new Kinki, so I was wondering how the two compared

Thanks
I have never tried the Kinki, but owned the GSX-Mini and read quite a bit about the Kinki. My impression was that the Kinki is certainly quite a bit more coloured. Hopefully someone will chip in who has heard both.

May 16, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #2,659 of 2,819
I haven't read through this entire thread so please excuse this question if it has been discussed before. For anyone using the mini as a preamp in a speaker system in addition to a headphone amp, how do you find it? What other preamps in this arrangement have you tried and how does the mini compare? I just started also using my mini with (passive) speakers and a separate speaker amp. It does a pretty good job but find that using it with my Empy's is much more resolving. Speakers are Merlins with a Conrad Johnson amp and Cardas Clear cabling so also a pretty resolving speaker system in its ownright. I'm wondering how much better my speaker system electronics (or speakers) would have to be to equal my headphone experience. I'm thinking about introducing a dedicated preamp but only need it for this specific purpose. Plus I already went round and round with speakers a number of years ago and found that unless I spent thousands more I couldn't do better than the Merlins. Any comments or help would be very much appreciated.

May 18, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #2,660 of 2,819
I haven't read through this entire thread so please excuse this question if it has been discussed before. For anyone using the mini as a preamp in a speaker system in addition to a headphone amp, how do you find it? What other preamps in this arrangement have you tried and how does the mini compare? I just started also using my mini with (passive) speakers and a separate speaker amp. It does a pretty good job but find that using it with my Empy's is much more resolving. Speakers are Merlins with a Conrad Johnson amp and Cardas Clear cabling so also a pretty resolving speaker system in its ownright. I'm wondering how much better my speaker system electronics (or speakers) would have to be to equal my headphone experience. I'm thinking about introducing a dedicated preamp but only need it for this specific purpose. Plus I already went round and round with speakers a number of years ago and found that unless I spent thousands more I couldn't do better than the Merlins. Any comments or help would be very much appreciated.
I don't use speaker but I used the GS-X mini as a preamp with Benchmark AHB2 to drive planars.
I consider the preamp is good but not as impressive as it being a headphone amp, the sound it is not as transparent as the a headphone output for some reason.
it is on par with Freya S, but compare to Benchmark LA4/HPA4 or Holo Serene the soundstage feel compressed and lacking a bit of dynamics.

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #2,661 of 2,819
I don't use speaker but I used the GS-X mini as a preamp with Benchmark AHB2 to drive planars.
I consider the preamp is good but not as impressive as it being a headphone amp, the sound it is not as transparent as the a headphone output for some reason.
it is on par with Freya S, but compare to Benchmark LA4/HPA4 or Holo Serene the soundstage feel compressed and lacking a bit of dynamics.
So you feel the Freya S has less soundstage vs Serene?

May 18, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #2,662 of 2,819
So you feel the Freya S has less soundstage vs Serene?
GSX is particular weak on soundstage (as a preamp), Freya S is better than GSX mini in this aspect but on the other hand it is more grainy. Id say they are on par with some sonic difference.
Serene is more transaprant and holographic than both, it is an upgrade overall vs Freya or GSX. The difference is more easy to tell when using very resolving high end headphone like Susvara/Stealth. with more forgiving headphone like OG HE-6 or LCD-3 however, it not as obvious.

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #2,663 of 2,819
Thanks, that's kind of what I was feeling too. In one of the reviews about the mini it was said that the sound quality of the preamp section equaled the headphone section. I'm beginning to think that is not the case and that a better way for me to improve the sound quality through my speakers would be to add a "real" preamp and use the mini only as a headphone amp. I'd be interested in the findings of others as well.

May 18, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #2,664 of 2,819
Thanks, that's kind of what I was feeling too. In one of the reviews about the mini it was said that the sound quality of the preamp section equaled the headphone section. I'm beginning to think that is not the case and that a better way for me to improve the sound quality through my speakers would be to add a "real" preamp and use the mini only as a headphone amp. I'd be interested in the findings of others as well.
As much as I love the GS-X mini and being a HeadAmp fan, I have to say I am a slightly disappointed the first time I use it as a preamp.
I preferred the GSX mini to the HPA4 as a headphone amp with any headphones, but it is the opposite when they serve as a preamp.
That said, I have very little experience with preamps (as oppose to headphone amps), and I don't understand why the preamp doesn't sound equally good, and what needs to be considered pairing a preamp with a power amp.

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #2,665 of 2,819
I haven't used the GSX-Mini as a preamp, but as a headphone amp I think it has good/average spatial qualities. Not exceptional, but good/satisfying enough. At least as an SS amp. What makes the GSX-Mini special to me is a good, articulate, clear and punchy bass and a relatively warm, natural tone/timbre with good clarity. One of the best SS amps for the price for sure. But when we start to discover similarly priced tube amps, that suddenly changes the whole game. :)

May 26, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #2,666 of 2,819
Hi,
A quick, maybe dumb, question. Should there be an audible buzzing from the power supply in the mini? Only if I put my ear close to it
I’m asking cause I debate whether I should leave it still on during the nights

May 26, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #2,667 of 2,819
Hi,
A quick, maybe dumb, question. Should there be an audible buzzing from the power supply in the mini? Only if I put my ear close to it
I’m asking cause I debate whether I should leave it still on during the nights
You have dc on main (probably)

May 26, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #2,668 of 2,819
You have dc on main (probably)
On main? Could you elaborate?
I just don’t know if it’s normal, so far I only had cayin c9 and hugo2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back