New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Mar 10, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #1,906 of 2,819
@Noobzilla

You can also try to add a Furman Power Conditioner and hook all your audio equipment to that. For me, that gave me the biggest clarity in the sound.

Do you mean using the Furman Power Conditioner instead of the pangea cable? Or having both in the system? Very interested in squeezing more performance out of the mini, as well as my other equipment.

I have both power cable upgrades and a Furman. I had my system connected to my UPS backup battery (along with my computers) which I compared to a Furman PST-8D that I borrowed from my speaker system. Also recently bought a much cheaper Furman SS6B. I can't hear difference between the two Furmans, but I do notice them having improved clarity vs UPS or raw power outlet. I did try regular power cord vs upgraded power cable on the Furman where I also did notice improvement with the thicker cable. I'm still very dumbfounded that both the outlet and power cord could make difference.

Still "burning" in both Pangea 14awg and WAudio 10awg. Will do another comparison next week.

Mar 10, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #1,907 of 2,819
@Noobzilla

You can also try to add a Furman Power Conditioner and hook all your audio equipment to that. For me, that gave me the biggest clarity in the sound.
Agreed. The Furman Elite-15i has wrought in my setup a noticeable improvement in the music: more “ease”, greater dynamic range, lower noise floor. I surmise that the equipment has to “work” less separating the signal from spurious electrical interference. This is compounded beneficially since each component is connected to the Furman. C32922DB-0C95-4DFB-8974-F90446E50F2B.jpeg

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #1,908 of 2,819
Power filtering/conditioning can indeed have a huge impact on sound. I was shocked, how big improvement I got from my ADI-2 when fed by just the Oehlbach Powersocket 907. But it very well could be individual, depending on what electrical equipment do you have operating nearby. In my case: PC+screen+active speakers, everything was probably adding some dirt back to the loop and ADI-2 couldn't filter it out on it's own. Recently I added iFi iPower Elite to the mix and another ++ improvement for the DAC :raised_hands:

Mar 11, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #1,909 of 2,819
What I did to combat RFI was to determine all of the outlets and lights that were wired to the same circuit in the circuit breaker box. I turned my stereo up and went into the basement and flicked breaker switches until the stereo shut off. Then I came upstairs and figured out what else had gone dead. In my case it was three wall outlets, a front porch light and a dual overhead light over a planter box in the next room. I make sure everything on that circuit breaker is shut off when I'm listening. A few months ago I was listening and had this low frequency hum that I thought was the furnace running. But I only heard it through the headphones. Turns out I forgot to turn off my computer that runs off the same circuit but from a different outlet than my power strip is plugged in. Was shocking how noticeable that hum was. Won't make that mistake again. I also make sure I have the furnace turned off in the winter and the air conditioning turned off in the summer. My listening can get pretty chilly in the winter and pretty warm in the summer but it's worth it to me. One thing I'm considering is unplugging the refrigerator when I'm listening. I need to research whether that will shorten the life of the refrigerator before I do it. Anybody know?

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #1,912 of 2,819
I’m trying to decide between the GSX mini and XI Audio Broadway. I have the Arya, Clear, Verite Closed and Diana v2. Which one would have the best synergy with these headphones?

Mar 26, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #1,913 of 2,819
Sonically, this is the cleanest and most transparent amp I've ever heard. But without sounding too bright on top. Transparent and yet very musically rich great punch. A V281 sounds smoother overall with a bit more subbass. The GS-X mini, on the other hand, sounds airier. Spatial in the deep more illuminating.
The DACT version fits me personally quite well, because I can fine-tune the volume via my V850 DAC. I listen to my Utopia at normal volume between position 6-8/24 in low gain. Reserves without end! Otherwise I think the ALPS version is the better solution.

A great headphone amp that can drive anything and plays ultra clean. If I had not previously committed to Violectric would be next to the Moon HA430 my first choice for an amp.

Mar 26, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #1,915 of 2,819
Is there a type or brand of headphone that you think matches well with a top of the pile solid state amp like this one. I have Hifiman Ananda which is nice match but always with this hobby you are wondering what might be better matchup.

Mar 26, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #1,916 of 2,819
Is there a type or brand of headphone that you think matches well with a top of the pile solid state amp like this one. I have Hifiman Ananda which is nice match but always with this hobby you are wondering what might be better matchup.
I'm on Arya's now and they sound amazing on here. Nothing I have sounds bad on this amp though. Sennheiser HD800s, 6XX, Focal Stellia. It's all very enjoyable!

Mar 26, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #1,917 of 2,819
I’m trying to decide between the GSX mini and XI Audio Broadway. I have the Arya, Clear, Verite Closed and Diana v2. Which one would have the best synergy with these headphones?
I haven't heard the XI Audio so I can't comment on that, the GSX mini however drives the Arya and ZMF VC very well.

Mar 27, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #1,918 of 2,819
VC and Diana 2 are my main headphones and I just ordered the mini last week over the Broadway. I wasn't convinced that the Broadway has enough power to drive Diana to its full potential (despite what Abyss says on their website). And it certainly wont drive your Arya to their full potential. GSX mini all the way.

Also, if you check both the VC and Diana V2 threads, lots of people rave about the synergy with the gsx mini.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #1,920 of 2,819
VC and Diana 2 are my main headphones and I just ordered the mini last week over the Broadway. I wasn't convinced that the Broadway has enough power to drive Diana to its full potential (despite what Abyss says on their website). And it certainly wont drive your Arya to their full potential. GSX mini all the way.

Also, if you check both the VC and Diana V2 threads, lots of people rave about the synergy with the gsx mini.
I agree. All my ZMFs and Diana V2 sound great on the Mini. I like the Abyss on high power best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back