New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Feb 12, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #1,862 of 2,814
I haven't read through all of these posts yet (but I'm working on it) so apologies if this has been covered. If I purchase this my requirement is about 50/50 to use it as a headphone amplifier and a preamp for my home stereo. I'm convinced it's a terrific headphone amplifier, now I need to know is it equally good as a preamp. I sent an email to them asking which volume control would be best considering it will get double duty and I'm waiting to hear from them. Thanks in advance as always

Feb 12, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #1,863 of 2,814
edit - wrong thread

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #1,864 of 2,814
Sure gets warm... C64D895E-515C-4AAC-B7FE-02E370624F4B.jpeg

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #1,865 of 2,814
just got my hands on a red mini, i was previously satisfied with my headphones drive by hugott2. after 30min of AB with nightowl and ether2 also a8000. even with a cheap xlr cable, mini sounds more transparent than tt2 on its own. not to mention the better soundsatge and imaging. my next step is to get a edge nq hope it would push the boundary even further.

Feb 20, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #1,866 of 2,814
Modded my volume pot. Sounds so much better when I can see what volume I am listening at :stuck_out_tongue:

PXL_20210220_053024550.jpg

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #1,867 of 2,814
Feb 22, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #1,868 of 2,814
So, I have a Mini and love it, but have been eyeing two dac upgrades for a while now. Well, three really, if I want to go the cheaper route.

Has anyone heard the GS-X Mini with the:
Chord TT2
Holo May
& Qutest being a cheaper alternative.

I'm torn between the Holo May and the TT2 as a dac for a Mini. One reason why I want the TT2 is because it itself can drive headphones as well, so, it would be essentially having another amp around. I've heard so many good things about the Holo dacs, though. Some people tell me the Qutest is "enough" and the jump to the TT2 isn't essential. Really just wondering if anyone can comment on the synergy of some of these.

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #1,869 of 2,814
Hey good people, how do you find the difference in music presentation between Mini's single-ended and balanced output?
I'll be getting a Mini shortly to audition with Empyreans, for which I only have a SE silver cable. Is it worth it to let the cable reterminate to XLR, what do you think?
Thanks!

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #1,870 of 2,814
So, I have a Mini and love it, but have been eyeing two dac upgrades for a while now. Well, three really, if I want to go the cheaper route.

Has anyone heard the GS-X Mini with the:
Chord TT2
Holo May
& Qutest being a cheaper alternative.

I'm torn between the Holo May and the TT2 as a dac for a Mini. One reason why I want the TT2 is because it itself can drive headphones as well, so, it would be essentially having another amp around. I've heard so many good things about the Holo dacs, though. Some people tell me the Qutest is "enough" and the jump to the TT2 isn't essential. Really just wondering if anyone can comment on the synergy of some of these.
i did the comparison between tt2 and mini(use tt2 as source with upgraded psu)and i sold the tt2. tt2‘s headphone outputs are good but not as good as mini. mini is even more transparent than tt2 on its own.
i would suggest you go for may, i ve compared may with tt2 on a speaker system a year ago when i just got the tt2 with all the hype.
The results are very disappointing, tt2 is no way may level. Soundstage is smaller with lesser imagining.
Tt2 is not a bad product but i think it is best for people who wants an ok amp puls a good dac. If you only want one part of it, at the price point there are many choices.
Hope it helps

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #1,871 of 2,814
Hey good people, how do you find the difference in music presentation between Mini's single-ended and balanced output?
I'll be getting a Mini shortly to audition with Empyreans, for which I only have a SE silver cable. Is it worth it to let the cable reterminate to XLR, what do you think?
Thanks!
The only difference you ll notice is lower volume using the single ended cable due to lower power output. The xlr out pushes more power than the single ended one. There is no sound presentation difference between the two.

Feb 24, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #1,872 of 2,814
Hi there, considering buying one of these and have a couple questions, firstly does anyone have any experience with this amp being paired with a denafrips ares ii? I see the chord qutest has been recommended and those are the two DACs im looking at

Secondly I see you can pay extra for an attenuator vs a potentiometer for the volume control, I have no knowledge of the difference between these so is this a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks

Feb 24, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #1,873 of 2,814
Hi there, considering buying one of these and have a couple questions, firstly does anyone have any experience with this amp being paired with a denafrips ares ii? I see the chord qutest has been recommended and those are the two DACs im looking at

Secondly I see you can pay extra for an attenuator vs a potentiometer for the volume control, I have no knowledge of the difference between these so is this a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks
I used to run my mini with Ares II. They paired really well. Great resolution and wide holographic sound stage. Excellent synergy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back