New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Nov 29, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #1,726 of 2,819
I havent heard the mini but it sounds as if it has a similar sound signature to the Milo upgraded although the Milo is a bit more powerful

It is a warmer GS-X Mk2 with more heft down low. Just a killer of an amp IMO!

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #1,727 of 2,819

Was debating buying another gsx mini vs bakoon amp13r vs fa-10, but now you have thrown in the reference Milo into consideration!

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #1,728 of 2,819
I wasnt speaking of the reference milo I was speaking of the regular milo with the upgrades....

Nov 30, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #1,729 of 2,819
Was debating buying another gsx mini vs bakoon amp13r vs fa-10, but now you have thrown in the reference Milo into consideration!
I wasnt speaking of the reference milo I was speaking of the regular milo with the upgrades....
From what I can read the Milo is a beast.
Not only all the power you could ever wish for, but also slight tube amp character and authority in the bottom end.

On top of that it is really affordable.
Personally I'd go for the milo with the little upgrades, thats ~2 grand I guess.

So from all SS amps I read about this one would fit my taste the most.

Nov 30, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #1,730 of 2,819
I personally found the BHA-1 too "sharp" and bright. The GS-X mini has also like 2-4X the power. I prefer the HeadAmp by a good margin.
What? Bryston i way more powerful than GS-X mini, i don't even use high gain with LCD-4.
Depends, it can be little sharp and bright but is very live and fast with great soundstage.

Nov 30, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #1,731 of 2,819
What? Bryston i way more powerful than GS-X mini, i don't even use high gain with LCD-4.
Depends, it can be little sharp and bright but is very live and fast with great soundstage.

The Bryston is 2W the GS-X min is 4W. :) It is a little sharp with the LCD-4 which has pushed back treble. But with many headphones, I found it quite fatiguing.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #1,732 of 2,819
Bryston has 6W in 32Ohm, where you find that it has only 2W?
I don't recomend him to work with HP like Abyss 1266 or Fostex TH-900.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #1,733 of 2,819
And Kevin Gilmore's CFA is 16W @ 50Ω. :grin:

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #1,734 of 2,819
Just posted my GS-X mini up for sale. Love the Mini, but I require a headphone amp that has more preamp flexibility and remote control.

Dec 6, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #1,735 of 2,819
the new violectric 550 will have what you seek

Dec 7, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #1,736 of 2,819
Hi all, I've enjoyed reading through this thread over the past day or so. I've been interested in the GSX-Mini for about a year now and am very close to buying one as I want a balanced amp for my LCD-4z.

Right now my set up is Allo Digione Signature (connected to Roon) -> RME ADI-2 Dac -> Rebel Amp -> LCD-4z. I'd like to add the GSX-Mini to my collection but there's a few comparisons that I haven't seen that would be helpful in finalizing my decision. Has anyone compared the GSX-Mini to the Topping A90? How about the GSX-Mini to the RebelAmp? And has anyone used the 4z with the GSX-Mini?

Also if you think that I would be better served by a different amp then I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #1,737 of 2,819
Hi all, I've enjoyed reading through this thread over the past day or so. I've been interested in the GSX-Mini for about a year now and am very close to buying one as I want a balanced amp for my LCD-4z.

Right now my set up is Allo Digione Signature (connected to Roon) -> RME ADI-2 Dac -> Rebel Amp -> LCD-4z. I'd like to add the GSX-Mini to my collection but there's a few comparisons that I haven't seen that would be helpful in finalizing my decision. Has anyone compared the GSX-Mini to the Topping A90? How about the GSX-Mini to the RebelAmp? And has anyone used the 4z with the GSX-Mini?

Also if you think that I would be better served by a different amp then I'm open to suggestions.

The Topping is a very nice and clean mid-fi level amplifier. But it does hold back TOTL headphones like the LCD-4, Phi TC, Susvara, etc...back from reaching their peaks. Not as nimble or detailed. The GS-X mini definitely gets you closer to the peak of your flagship headphones in terms of what they have to offer sonically.

Dec 8, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #1,738 of 2,819
Can anyone comment on the soundstage width of the Mini compared to some Schiit amplifies? Schiit amplifies have the compressed feeling sound. Even my Apple usbc-3.5 dongle has the wider soundstage to my ears

Dec 8, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #1,739 of 2,819
Can anyone comment on the soundstage width of the Mini compared to some Schiit amplifies? Schiit amplifies have the compressed feeling sound. Even my Apple usbc-3.5 dongle has the wider soundstage to my ears

The word "holographic" comes to mind with both the GS-X mini and GS-X mk2. :wink:

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #1,740 of 2,819
The word "holographic" comes to mind with both the GS-X mini and GS-X mk2. :wink:

I concur. All of my headphones have a nice, spacious soundstage from the Mini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back