New AKG Headphones "By Tiësto"
Nov 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #394 of 517
@alpha10:

I'm wondering if they sound better than the DENON D1100? The "rolled off highs" are my main concern.
frown.gif
I don't like dark phones, but I don't like too bright phones as well. I like the mid-term. The DENON HP700/DENON D7000 are the perfect example of my prefered sound sig.

EDIT: talking about the K167, of course.

EDIT 2: Are they dark like say, a TMA-1? (these are reeeeaaaally dark)

EDIT 3: And do they have MORE bass than the D2000 (quantity), or just better quality?

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #397 of 517
Is the K67 the same as the K618DJ?  I had them briefly before I gave them to my sis as a gift.
I actually loved the sound of the K618DJ for a fun headphone and just wanted a larger earcup.  If the K167 is different, I might just stick with the K618DJ.
Quote:
Got 20 minutes with the 2 smaller models: AKG K67 and AKG K167.
Both were brand new and not burned-in playing lossless files non-amped from an iPod Touch 4G, so take this into consideration.
The short version is that I'm impressed with the build quality and sound of both, isolation is also good, specially the K167, both are easy to drive, no problems playing loud using iPod only.
They have the same sound signature, a little dark with rolled off highs, but not too dark for my taste
smily_headphones1.gif

The K67 is definately much smaller than K167, the sound is good, nice extension at both ends, the bass is boosted a little, but I'm sure many will like that, for me personally I think it's a little too much. The K67 is an on-ear design and the fit is tight, I would definately recommend that you try them before buy.
The K167 is worth the extra price, much more comfortable, the headphone is bigger but still foldable, and the sound is improved in all areas, the sound is more neutral, the bass is just right, very deep but controlled and not boosted, I would say the bass is better than my Denon AH-D2000, the sound is darker than my Denon's, but it's a fair trade, since many recordings are just a tad too bright and this compensates for that, unlike the K67, the K167 doesn't sound like a DJ headphone at all, I've tried classical, jazz, rock, pop, and it played everything very well, really among the best closed can I've heard, imagine my Denons with an improved bass and a darker sound signature, that would be a way to describe the K167

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #398 of 517
I didn't like the K618 at all, too much bass, typical DJ V-shaped sound, the K67 is better, but still sounds like a DJ phone, the K167 is totally different, very neutral, I think I will buy them

Is the K67 the same as the K618DJ?  I had them briefly before I gave them to my sis as a gift.
I actually loved the sound of the K618DJ for a fun headphone and just wanted a larger earcup.  If the K167 is different, I might just stick with the K618DJ.

Nov 12, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #404 of 517
Quote:
Got 20 minutes with the 2 smaller models: AKG K67 and AKG K167.
Both were brand new and not burned-in playing lossless files non-amped from an iPod Touch 4G, so take this into consideration.
The short version is that I'm impressed with the build quality and sound of both, isolation is also good, specially the K167, both are easy to drive, no problems playing loud using iPod only.
They have the same sound signature, a little dark with rolled off highs, but not too dark for my taste
smily_headphones1.gif

The K67 is definately much smaller than K167, the sound is good, nice extension at both ends, the bass is boosted a little, but I'm sure many will like that, for me personally I think it's a little too much. The K67 is an on-ear design and the fit is tight, I would definately recommend that you try them before buy.
The K167 is worth the extra price, much more comfortable, the headphone is bigger but still foldable, and the sound is improved in all areas, the sound is more neutral, the bass is just right, very deep but controlled and not boosted, I would say the bass is better than my Denon AH-D2000, the sound is darker than my Denon's, but it's a fair trade, since many recordings are just a tad too bright and this compensates for that, unlike the K67, the K167 doesn't sound like a DJ headphone at all, I've tried classical, jazz, rock, pop, and it played everything very well, really among the best closed can I've heard, imagine my Denons with an improved bass and a darker sound signature, that would be a way to describe the K167.

Sorry for the OT but the Yamaha Nu-1 caught my eye. Anyhow which headphone has that coiled wire? I've looked for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back