NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
May 5, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #2,401 of 2,884

Thanks. Yeah. That's about what I've been hearing, as well. It seems less of a clear-cut advantage for the 400i and more of a preference type of thing (at least for some people).

I bought a pair of 400i's feeling I loved my 400s's, so the 400i must be better. They do have more detail in the instruments and better focused images, but I found the soundstage very small. That is what I love about the 400s, they are so open and airy. the 400i sounds like a closed back. Both my wife and I felt the same way...she got to where she wouldn't even try them anymore, so the 400i went back...no hesitations. I am very happy with my 400s.
I listen to all sorts of music through Tidal, I have the Creative Lab E5 DAC/AMP, and an APPJ 1502a Tube amp. I have Focus Pads A and modded grills. I tried combinations of all of these on both headphones during my trials.As I said, I think the images are tighter and more focused on the 400i, but that is because the images are much smaller. I would never find myself taking the 400i to work wanting people to listen to them, like I do my 400s...this is all of course, IMHO.

May 5, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #2,402 of 2,884
Hey all -- wanted to give some impressions after 4 days of listening.

I'm really, really liking these guys! It's definitely the sound signature in my head that I was looking for (at least at this price point...God forbid I ever demo a pair of 560s or 1000s...jeesh).

Anyway, I thought they sounded pretty good with stock pads, but I went ahead and ordered the Focus pads and the Brainwavz Angled to see which one I like best. Been using the the Focus for 2 days, and the Brainwavz show up Monday. Any thoughts as to what I might notice between the two? (I do prefer Focus to stock...now just curious how Brainwavz will sound compared to that)

I've been burning in as much as I can, but nowhere near the 150 hours the book recommends...haha. Overall, everything sounds really, really good through the new Dragonfly Red. I'm usually at just 25% - 30% volume on my Macbook Air, as the lil' Dragon cooks.

Back to the music. I keep experiencing the "oh wow, I never noticed that in the track before" moments. 
o2smile.gif

May 10, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #2,403 of 2,884
Dumb question that probably has an easy answer....but, what is my best option if I want to get a 10' cable? I can't seem to find one on a really quick cursory search. Can I buy a 10' that's reasonably priced from somewhere, or do I have to look at some adapter/extender for my stock cable?

May 10, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #2,404 of 2,884
Try looking for Sennheiser HD 700 cable. http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Sennheiser-Headphones/dp/B00KBBR8T4/ref=pd_sim_23_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41uW1NVcgzL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0638RZ3AX4WBCA93G2N2

/new-2015-hifiman-he400s/2400#post_12570210"]Dumb question that probably has an easy answer....but, what is my best option if I want to get a 10' cable? I can't seem to find one on a really quick cursory search. Can I buy a 10' that's reasonably priced from somewhere, or do I have to look at some adapter/extender for my stock cable?
[/quote]

May 12, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #2,405 of 2,884
One more question: is there an appreciable difference between the upgrade to Hifiman Focus pads and Brainwavz Angled pads?

I ordered both because I've read a lot about both. Did the Focas pads first because it was an easy swap. Now I've learned after the fact that for Brainwavz I also have to get my hands on the plastic rings, whether by going to Hifiman or ordering a 2nd pair of pads just to get the rings or what.

I think the sound w/ the Focus pads is really good --- definitely a big improvement all the way around. Would it get even better if I switch to Brainwavz? If it's the same, I won't bother --- since it's more cost/more effort.

Thanks.

May 12, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #2,406 of 2,884
Is the brainwave one memory foam? The texture from memory foam is better than focus pads. 

May 12, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #2,407 of 2,884
  One more question: is there an appreciable difference between the upgrade to Hifiman Focus pads and Brainwavz Angled pads?

I ordered both because I've read a lot about both. Did the Focas pads first because it was an easy swap. Now I've learned after the fact that for Brainwavz I also have to get my hands on the plastic rings, whether by going to Hifiman or ordering a 2nd pair of pads just to get the rings or what.

I think the sound w/ the Focus pads is really good --- definitely a big improvement all the way around. Would it get even better if I switch to Brainwavz? If it's the same, I won't bother --- since it's more cost/more effort.

Thanks.

I have used both the focus pads A & brainwavz angled pads

To my ears, bass goes slightly deeper with the angled pads vs focus. Not a day/night difference, maybe 5% - 10% ish ?

If you want to use the brainwavz. no need to buy a new pads, just rip off the ring from the stock velour pads, it's unlikely you're gonna use them again after using the focus/angled pads anyway :)

EDIT:
I live in Indonesia where it's hot & humid
Focus pads feels better, less sweaty than the brainwavz angled. That being said, I use the angled pads now, keeping the focus pads in the box just in case.
Figured might as well keep the more expensive pads in case i need them later, just use the cheaper pads for daily use, lol

May 12, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #2,408 of 2,884
Yup totally agreed that focus pads are less sweaty during the summer. Leather will cause sweat build up. 

May 12, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #2,409 of 2,884
That was my original plan, but I snapped one getting it out. Might be able to tape it - haven't tried yet.

Regardless, I've got to figure out my approach. The Hifiman plastic rings are round and flimsy...the Brainwavz pads are oval and strong. Don't seem to be.agreeable at first attempt!

May 12, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #2,410 of 2,884
That was my original plan, but I snapped one getting it out. Might be able to tape it - haven't tried yet.

Regardless, I've got to figure out my approach. The Hifiman plastic rings are round and flimsy...the Brainwavz pads are oval and strong. Don't seem to be.agreeable at first attempt!

They will work, Might have to bend the ring somewhat out of shape, but they will fit into the angled pads

Took me a while to do that too, not to mention trying to fit the angled pads on to the headphone tabs, GRRRR !!!

Just an advice, once you fit those angled pads on the headphone, make sure you really want / need to replace them with the focus pads before taking them off.

Pain in the butt getting them on again, lol

EDIT :
Zeos shows how to use the ring/brainwavz pads in his HE350 review here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agCnn6quYNc

May 12, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #2,412 of 2,884

Order some original velour pads from hifiman, $10 and the pads are not glued on to the rings.

Also, to remove and install use a credit card, easiest way I've found so far.

May 12, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #2,413 of 2,884
Good news -- I put my MacGyver skills to work and fixed the snapped ring.

(not really -- all it took was a tiny piece of duct tape wound a few times around)

Anyway, I stretched the Brainwavz really good for a minute or so while watching the Z Reviews video, then managed to put in the ring pretty well. Evened it all out so it wasn't lumpy anywhere...exposed the tabs...then I was ready to roll.

After just a few minutes of listening, here's how I'd compare Brainwavz Angled to Focus:

1. Small uptick in bass -- noticeable, but not huge amount
  2. Volume is a bit quieter -- I had to click the volume up another level (makes sense, seeing as how thick those pads are in comparison so my ears were further away from driver)
  3. Definitely feels warmer -- (in temperature, not in sound signature -- I can see how sweaty ears could be more problematic depending on your environment)
  4. Ultra comfortable -- man, they are plush

Other than that, I can't tell any immediate differences in soundstage/treble/mids/etc...will need to do some more A/B listening tonight.

At any rate, it's nice to have both pads available now and it's easy to switch back and forth.

May 14, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #2,415 of 2,884
I also bought one.
smily_headphones1.gif
 Very good the sound, listening about the TEAC UD-301 DAC! My first planar headphone. 
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back