NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Apr 25, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #2,371 of 2,884
Thanks for the replies! It really does seem like burn in makes a difference. Played them maybe 30 hours only, but they already sound much better.

But the situationen now is that I got the opportunity the exchange them for the 400i for practically no extra cost, only the hassle of sending the 400S back. (and not having a headphone for a while...)

So - any reason at all not to change them? Apparently the sound stage is wider on the 400S, but basically the 400i are just better? (i.e. more resolution, texture and so on...)

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #2,372 of 2,884
Thanks for the replies! It really does seem like burn in makes a difference. Played them maybe 30 hours only, but they already sound much better.

But the situationen now is that I got the opportunity the exchange them for the 400i for practically no extra cost, only the hassle of sending the 400S back. (and not having a headphone for a while...)

So - any reason at all not to change them? Apparently the sound stage is wider on the 400S, but basically they are just better? (i.e. more resolution, texture and so on...)

On a technical level the 400i's are a better headphone.

The 400S is more forgiving and easier to drive and to me was easier and more enjoyable to listen too, especially over longer periods of time.

It's pretty easy to find detailed comparisons between the two, a search should reveal many observations and opinions on the matter.

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #2,373 of 2,884
Thanks, I guess what I'm asking is which is more airy, good treble, microdetails and so on... I find the 400S a bit dark and unresolving in the highs. When listening to the sound of a flute for example.

Some describe 400i as brighter, but then others write like this 

"The 400S has a brighter airy tone as compared to the 400i"

and

"The "straw that broke the camel back" on the 400i was dialog in movies. While the 400i is good for singing it is not as good as the 400 and the 400S for clarity for dialog in movies and on the web"

(post 761 in this thread)

More of that clarity, but in music, seems to what I'm looking for. So its hard to form an opinion...

Maybe I should just let the 400S burn in properly :)

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #2,374 of 2,884
@cfbruck

if you have the amp to drive 400i and you can exchange the 400s to 400i at no extra cost, i'd say go for it

I have a chance to try the 400i at a local meet couple of days ago. To my ears the 400i are a more refined 400s with deeper bass.

You can always do the grill mod if you want/need a bigger soundstage

Guess what i'm saying is the 400s are smoother, the 400i are more precise when comparing one another

I'm an old guy who can't hear anything above 16kHz btw, so pls take note of that. There might be some highs on the 400i that i just simply cant hear anymore, lol :D

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #2,375 of 2,884
Anyone can say this headphone have something around treble or upper mids a bit harsh ?

Someone described the 400s sound signature as comparable or similar to the Sennheiser HD650, but i dont think.
its not at all dark, neither a bit 
frown.gif
 And nothing soft treble. 

And yes its a smooth rappresentation headphone but not so smooth as Sennheiser HD6xx.

Apr 25, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #2,376 of 2,884

So - any reason at all not to change them? Apparently the sound stage is wider on the 400S, but basically the 400i are just better? (i.e. more resolution, texture and so on...)

I have both, do note that my impressions are only with my own equipment though it is significantly above the price of these headphones ($2k~) as well as plenty powerful to drive both, I have not heard either using someone else's set-up. Given your preferences I imagine the 400i fit your bill more than the 400S do, I too find the 400i more resolving, a tiny bit airier and better in the treble region whilst the 400S are more relaxed, laid back and enjoyable with the music I listen to.

Put it this way - and bare in mind what I'm about to say is absolutely personal and YMMV - if you get home after a day's work, have some dinner with the family and afterwards you want to enjoy classical music alone in your office for like 2 hours and purely focus on that then the 400i will be fantastic.

If you work from home or use your headphones at your workplace and listen to music for 6 or 8 or 10+ hours a day (as I do) I'd say even with your preferences taken into account the edge may be given to the 400S. If you can hold off on the trade until they are fully burned in (I believe the suggested period is 200h) then you should probably do so.

That said, I much prefer the 400S whilst my wife prefers and uses the 400i. Shame because the 400i look much cooler. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #2,377 of 2,884
@Vigrith, curious as to your $2k equipment that you use for the HE-400i and HE-400S, as it could possibly affect the sound and in turn your impressions.

The other reason I'm asking is that the HE-400i didn't scale much when I heard them on really high end gear and I haven't heard anyone say that the HE-400S would scale or not.

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #2,378 of 2,884
  @Vigrith, curious as to your $2k equipment that you use for the HE-400i and HE-400S, as it could possibly affect the sound and in turn your impressions.

The other reason I'm asking is that the HE-400i didn't scale much when I heard them on really high end gear and I haven't heard anyone say that the HE-400S would scale or not.

To be completely honest I actually don't know if they scale very well, I assume not seeing as the 400S especially are sort of meant for (trans)portable use right? I use an Emotiva Stealth DC-1 (balanced) / Chord Mojo into a Mjolnir 2 and have balanced cables for my headphones. I mostly bought this equipment with my recabled T90 jubilee and LCD-2s in mind, I've tried running the Hifimans through the DC-1 headphone jack instead and the difference isn't massive so you're most likely correct.

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #2,379 of 2,884

To be completely honest I actually don't know if they scale very well, I assume not seeing as the 400S especially are sort of meant for (trans)portable use right? I use an Emotiva Stealth DC-1 (balanced) / Chord Mojo into a Mjolnir 2 and have balanced cables for my headphones. I mostly bought this equipment with my recabled T90 jubilee and LCD-2s in mind, I've tried running the Hifimans through the DC-1 headphone jack instead and the difference isn't massive so you're most likely correct.

Thanks for the reply, nice equipment there.  Does the mojo and Mjolnir2 drive both the T90 and LCD-2 well?, those headphones are really different in terms of how I would drive them (OTL for the T90).

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #2,380 of 2,884
Thank you, yea I'm very happy with the sound and enjoyment I get out what I have even though I've only spent a moderate amount of money. I definitely agree OTL is far and away better for the T90s, to me they sound amazing with orange globe Amperex for the Mjolnir2, I have the Schiit "solid state tubes" as well, both sound pretty good with the LCD-2s.

I really enjoy the Audezes off of the Mojo, the T90s sound meh because they're just too edgy and finicky - guess that makes a lot of sense seeing as Robb Watts said he really likes the Audioquest Nighthawks and used them a lot when designing the Mojo (don't ipsis verbis me on that but I'm pretty sure he's stated that somewhere) and their signature is basically the polar opposite of the T90s.

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #2,382 of 2,884
Fellow headfi-'ers I just bought HE-400s off ebay and the right channel goes crazy on some tracks when connected to my dac/amp. The same does not happen with other headphones I have, can you please tell me if you're experiencing the same or my unit is damaged? Track is here http://www116.zippyshare.com/v/t45iFXKU/file.html

edit: i also hear the crazy distortion listening to some videos on youtube, even without the DAC/AMP. 

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #2,383 of 2,884
  Anyone can say this headphone have something around treble or upper mids a bit harsh ?

Someone described the 400s sound signature as comparable or similar to the Sennheiser HD650, but i dont think.
its not at all dark, neither a bit 
frown.gif
 And nothing soft treble. 

And yes its a smooth rappresentation headphone but not so smooth as Sennheiser HD6xx.

anyone noticed it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back