NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Apr 26, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #2,386 of 2,884
  Fellow headfi-'ers I just bought HE-400s off ebay and the right channel goes crazy on some tracks when connected to my dac/amp. The same does not happen with other headphones I have, can you please tell me if you're experiencing the same or my unit is damaged? Track is here http://www116.zippyshare.com/v/t45iFXKU/file.html

edit: i also hear the crazy distortion listening to some videos on youtube, even without the DAC/AMP. 

To each his own on music tastes. I downloaded it. I think the recording is bad, it seems to be overdriven. And my ears were ringing after some parts.  My headset is pretty new (30 hours). I'd have to say my 400s does not like that recording at all. So, I plugged in some 9500's. The highs did not murder my ears, but it still was pretty bad. I still think that recording is overdriven.
I did notice on my 400s that some highs other recording give some strange results, but like stated above, mine are still new. I'm still a novice at even using the words needed to describe what I'm hearing on your recording, tape hiss, overdriven, compressed in some parts. But all that could just be me. It's so subjective.  I would keep my box and receipt and keep burning them in, and see if it improves.

I hope someone with more experience chimes in with more help and observations.

Apr 28, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #2,388 of 2,884
I've been really enjoying my pair of 400S headphones these past 6 months.
However, I have a slightly off topic question:
I expect these headphones are going to be uncomfortable to wear in the "dog days" of summer. I was considering a pair of IEM to use on the hot days. What can you all recommend that would give a comparable sound to the 400S's and in the same price range? I'm not a bass-head and like a more neutral sound (a-la the HE400s) .I am currently considering the Sennheiser IE80's.

Apr 29, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #2,390 of 2,884
Anyone noticed this headphone bad as built quality ?
I received the second 400s because the first was new but had scratches and one of two grill's edge was not stuck well.
And the second is almost the same, but in different locations.

May 2, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #2,392 of 2,884
What's up punks -- I just joined the HE400S party yesterday! Arrived via Amazon (and like the posters above me, I was surprised to see they're "new" yet came with a few tiny scratches on the silver...plus the band that lays across your head already has some bumps/folds...but no biggie, as I didn't get them for the cosmetics).

I'm playing them with the new Dragonfly Red DAC/AMP and it's a fantastic pairing. I think they sound great already, so I'm really curious how much better they'll be when my Focus pads arrive later this week.

Now I suppose I'll try to chip away at this massive thread and find any notable posts/mods/updates along the way.

May 2, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #2,393 of 2,884
Sweet, I am going to get the new dragonfly too. I just haven't decided between the red and the black yet. I'll go demo them out this week at the store. 
  What's up punks -- I just joined the HE400S party yesterday! Arrived via Amazon (and like the posters above me, I was surprised to see they're "new" yet came with a few tiny scratches on the silver...plus the band that lays across your head already has some bumps/folds...but no biggie, as I didn't get them for the cosmetics).

I'm playing them with the new Dragonfly Red DAC/AMP and it's a fantastic pairing. I think they sound great already, so I'm really curious how much better they'll be when my Focus pads arrive later this week.

Now I suppose I'll try to chip away at this massive thread and find any notable posts/mods/updates along the way.

May 2, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #2,394 of 2,884
  I've been really enjoying my pair of 400S headphones these past 6 months.
However, I have a slightly off topic question:
I expect these headphones are going to be uncomfortable to wear in the "dog days" of summer. I was considering a pair of IEM to use on the hot days. What can you all recommend that would give a comparable sound to the 400S's and in the same price range? I'm not a bass-head and like a more neutral sound (a-la the HE400s) .I am currently considering the Sennheiser IE80's.

I haven't done IEM stuff in a while. But the 1st thing is that no IEM will be able to match up to the HE-400S in terms of sound. Full size over ears can produce much produce much better soundstage and space, and in general you will get better sound quality out of Full size over ears than anything else. I am really no expert in IEMs but I have heard a lot about the Sony XBA H1 and RHA T20i and klipsch just came out with a new line of IEMs too that are apparently pretty good. Try looking at a site like the http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-200-in-ear-headphones/ they have a lot of different recommendations and opinions from well respected experts. Hope this helped!

May 2, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #2,395 of 2,884
  Someone notice a slight mids recessed ?
specially some vocals sessions

Nope not really, that's what people usually find as it's strong suit. But the grill mod might help you out with what you be hearing. It helps the treble response apparently, to be "less veiled". Although these were with the older hifiman headphones people still do them and think it makes the hifimans sound better. It could also be your source, or the equipment you have. I love the mid range of the he-400s personally, I think it is superb.

May 2, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #2,396 of 2,884
  I would appreciate it if someone could comment on HE400S vs. HE400i. I've been looking in the threads and I can't seem to find much on this, which surprises me. Thanks for any input.

Here is a quote pulled from the wirecutter.com this article is written by Brent Butterworth, "HiFiMan HE400i – I thought this model, which was introduced before the HE400S, had a better, more spacious sound than the HE400S. But our other panelists felt it sounded thinner and less satisfying than the HE400S, and I can certainly understand that sentiment. Some listeners may find the HE400i worth the extra $200 over the HE400S, though." http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-open-back-headphones-under-500/

May 3, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #2,398 of 2,884
  I haven't done IEM stuff in a while. But the 1st thing is that no IEM will be able to match up to the HE-400S in terms of sound. Full size over ears can produce much produce much better soundstage and space, and in general you will get better sound quality out of Full size over ears than anything else. I am really no expert in IEMs but I have heard a lot about the Sony XBA H1 and RHA T20i and klipsch just came out with a new line of IEMs too that are apparently pretty good. Try looking at a site like the http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-200-in-ear-headphones/ they have a lot of different recommendations and opinions from well respected experts. Hope this helped!

Thanks. I'll check these out. 

FYI: Yeah, I also usually check thewirecutter site to see what they say. 

May 4, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #2,399 of 2,884
  Here is a quote pulled from the wirecutter.com this article is written by Brent Butterworth, "HiFiMan HE400i – I thought this model, which was introduced before the HE400S, had a better, more spacious sound than the HE400S. But our other panelists felt it sounded thinner and less satisfying than the HE400S, and I can certainly understand that sentiment. Some listeners may find the HE400i worth the extra $200 over the HE400S, though." http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-open-back-headphones-under-500/

Thanks. Yeah. That's about what I've been hearing, as well. It seems less of a clear-cut advantage for the 400i and more of a preference type of thing (at least for some people).

May 4, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #2,400 of 2,884
Thanks. Yeah. That's about what I've been hearing, as well. It seems less of a clear-cut advantage for the 400i and more of a preference type of thing (at least for some people).

It definitely is not a clear advantage for one over the other in my opinion as I have stated previously in this thread and elsewhere. I find they are very different despite the fact the 400i cost $200 extra, there's no "better" there in terms of sound quality there to my ears - if I had to draw some sort of comparison with another headphone line I'd say they are kind of like the Beyerdynamic DT line-up, the 880s and 990s sound blatantly different (as do the 770s obviously but those are closed so).

Thing is the Beyers all cost the same practically whilst the Hifimans differ by a very significant amount thus implying there should be a defined hierarchy in terms of sound quality which is just not true. Using the Beyers as a term of comparison again, I'd say there is a clear improvement when moving from the DT series to the T90s and the T1 given proper OTL amplification and a competent DAC. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back