NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Feb 24, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #2,206 of 2,884
  I currently have the O2+ODAC which is more than enough to power the 400S.  Very clean and detailed.  Noticeable difference from an iPhone 6, to a Fiio X3ii, listening to FLAC.  Don't think you'll regret getting it. 

Hi! Thank you, I'm glad to hear that and I definitely take your word for it, seeing as we'll be using them exclusively at home on our desktops I just ordered the O2ODAC. I'm sure I won't regret it.

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #2,207 of 2,884
This APPJ amp and headphone adaptor are sounding very sweet with my HE0400S. There is a good amount of detail and tube twang and punch. While not the best sounding tube amp, it sounds pleasant enough for non critical listening.

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #2,210 of 2,884
These puppies will be the next addition to my collection, i think it's just that their design really catches my attention. The simplicity does it for me 
L3000.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #2,217 of 2,884
Nope as i already had Vali 2, i boxed it for sale already :frowning2: But maybe if i'll have spare time on weekend i could try it, ZxR output impedance is pretty high as far as i know, ridiculously high by the way, 40 ohm, in ZxR thread there was some mentioning about problems with lower ohm HPs, but then i had T90 and didn't care to read :))

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #2,218 of 2,884
@paulguru, when the headphone impedance doesn't match source impedance, frequencies heard can vary with impedance. What this means is your response curve may not be the same as the published factory curve.

For example, your music may lack bass or the opposite. The effect may be across the spectrum. 

I've tried my HE-400S with the AK100's 22ohm jack. It just doesn't sound the same as my Schiit Asgard and SMSL SAP-5 amps which have lower impedance.

In your case a 10ohm source should be used with an 80ohm set of cans. In theory anyway.

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #2,220 of 2,884
These are my first open back headphones, and I'm really enjoying the airiness or space these give to the music.  Compared to my PSB M4U 2s, there is less bass and more treble - it's a much different sound, but I find both are enjoyable. 

They sound fantastic driven just by my Sony NWZ-ZX1, which is not a particularly powerful device.  I use a Fiio E17 as a desktop DAC/Amp, and while the E17 is certainly a huge improvement over my laptop's headphone out, it doesn't sound nearly as good as the ZX1.  Any suggestions for a compact DAC/amp around $200 Canadian, that would do these phones justice?  One with an EQ or bass boost would be nice, just to bump up the lows a touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back