NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Feb 22, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #2,192 of 2,884
Hi,

I have been observing and reading head-fi for a long time, but this is my first post.

I received the HE-400s today. I quickly took it out of the box and plugged it in to my iPhone to hear some familiar selections. My initial impressions were not quite as favorable as I expected from all the acclaim on the thread.

I know break in is required, that is now in progress on my desktop. But out of the box, without any mods, driven by an iPhone 6 plus, the sound was inferior to my Grado SR-125.

I know break in will help. I got two pairs of rings delivered with it and Brainwave pads are on the way, and I need to hear them driven by something more adequate like my Marantz or proper headphone amp. I also know about the grille mod.

However is it possible that the Grados (I am very used to them and have been using them for years) just sound better? For example with Live at the Regal (B.B. King) the Grados have more bass extension and impact, have more energy in the mids and highs, and deliver a more immersive fun experience. The HE-400s sounds like it is dampened in the energy department. It appears to have more airy sound out of the box, but it is also a bit dull.

Looking for more experienced opinions, will break-in and pads make a big enough difference or am I destined to prefer the Grados? The HE-400s are definitely more comfortable!

Thank you. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #2,193 of 2,884
You may just prefer the sound of the Grado's more, and that's more sonically pleasing to your ears.  Some  companies do advertise that there're break-in periods for their drivers or equipment, but most of the time(though this is varying opinion), it's that you're adjusting to the sound, and not so much driver-break-in, but just, ears acclimating.  

So, it could make a difference with pads, but how you are describing them sounds like you may just out-right prefer the sound of the SR-125.  

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #2,194 of 2,884
  Looking for more experienced opinions, will break-in and pads make a big enough difference or am I destined to prefer the Grados? The HE-400s are definitely more comfortable!

Thank you.

I went through a similar experience when trying headphones other than the Grado SR-80. I was so used to that signature that my newer phones (Sennheiser HD-598) sounded too muffled in comparison, as did everything else I auditioned before that purchase. Once I gave myself time with the Senn's though I came to prefer that signature over the Grado & now that I have the HE-400s' I prefer that signature most of all. I still like the Grados though. So a lot if times it's just giving ourselves time to adjust to the newer sound.

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #2,195 of 2,884
  Hi,

I have been observing and reading head-fi for a long time, but this is my first post.

I received the HE-400s today. I quickly took it out of the box and plugged it in to my iPhone to hear some familiar selections. My initial impressions were not quite as favorable as I expected from all the acclaim on the thread.

I know break in is required, that is now in progress on my desktop. But out of the box, without any mods, driven by an iPhone 6 plus, the sound was inferior to my Grado SR-125.

I know break in will help. I got two pairs of rings delivered with it and Brainwave pads are on the way, and I need to hear them driven by something more adequate like my Marantz or proper headphone amp. I also know about the grille mod.

However is it possible that the Grados (I am very used to them and have been using them for years) just sound better? For example with Live at the Regal (B.B. King) the Grados have more bass extension and impact, have more energy in the mids and highs, and deliver a more immersive fun experience. The HE-400s sounds like it is dampened in the energy department. It appears to have more airy sound out of the box, but it is also a bit dull.

Thank you. 

the 400s are not going to change relative to the 125s.  I  owned both and the 125 has got some serious peaks in the mids and  treble that simply are not there in the 400s.

Will you "get used to them" ?  Perhaps

But maybe not.  One gets used to a certain signature and when trying another either likes it or is intrigued and continues or not.  Your call.

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #2,196 of 2,884
Hey, regarding the H400s (mainly) and the H400i, my wife will most likely be using the ones I'm not using at the time - I have an iFi iDAC2 for myself and I'm going to be getting her something similar but given the time she spends at her computer is minimal compared to mine some of that money is better spent elsewhere. My question would some form of the Objective 2+ODAC combo be able to drive the aforementioned hps correctly and well enough or should I just not skimp out and get another one of the iFis I already own, would the difference be super noticeable? If so, are there any other good dac/amp combos that would be better suited than the O2 at around the same price (250-300$)? The country we currently reside in would have a much easier time getting a hold of the O2 as well price difference asides.

Thanks!

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #2,197 of 2,884
The O2 should be able to drive both fairly well.  When you get up to something like the LCD line or HE-6, is where the O2 starts to diminish.  The JDS Labs Element is around the $300-$350 price-point, similar componentry to the O2, a little updated, and it just has a wonderful form-factor / knob.

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #2,198 of 2,884
^ Thank you for the simple and super quick answer Suvivor, given I don't live in the US the JDS Labs Element might end up a little too pricey (upwards of $400 with shipping/VAT) but I'll be sure to try and find a similar solution from a European shop, if I can't I'll most likely just settle for some form of O2.

Thanks again!

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #2,199 of 2,884
Hi guys
Can i ask you some questions about your headphone experiences ?

HE400S against HD600 / 650 is the main question :

1 ) I saw in some reviews that the HE 400S bass is deeper and punchy compared to HD650, this is right ? 

2 ) Why some users speak about the darker signature of 400S is similar to HD650 but compared to HD600 they say you need to get used ? I knew that the 650 was only a bit darker than 600, not much more ............... HE 400S is much more bassier than HD600 ?

3 ) The 400S is really so smooth like HD6xx ?

Someone can be clear to these questions please ? 
redface.gif

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #2,201 of 2,884

I went through a similar experience when trying headphones other than the Grado SR-80. I was so used to that signature that my newer phones (Sennheiser HD-598) sounded too muffled in comparison, as did everything else I auditioned before that purchase. Once I gave myself time with the Senn's though I came to prefer that signature over the Grado & now that I have the HE-400s' I prefer that signature most of all. I still like the Grados though. So a lot if times it's just giving ourselves time to adjust to the newer sound.

Thank you to everyone that replied. I am already getting more used to the HE-400s and certain recordings on the Grado SR-125s now seem to have some shrill highs (I never thought I would say that). I will experiment with pads to determine if I can get a bit more bass extension or slam. 

Bottom line is I want the HE-400s to be fun. Time will tell if I grow to prefer it. Thank you for the insights.

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #2,202 of 2,884
  Hey, regarding the H400s (mainly) and the H400i, my wife will most likely be using the ones I'm not using at the time - I have an iFi iDAC2 for myself and I'm going to be getting her something similar but given the time she spends at her computer is minimal compared to mine some of that money is better spent elsewhere. My question would some form of the Objective 2+ODAC combo be able to drive the aforementioned hps correctly and well enough or should I just not skimp out and get another one of the iFis I already own, would the difference be super noticeable? If so, are there any other good dac/amp combos that would be better suited than the O2 at around the same price (250-300$)? The country we currently reside in would have a much easier time getting a hold of the O2 as well price difference asides.

Thanks!

I currently have the O2+ODAC which is more than enough to power the 400S.  Very clean and detailed.  Noticeable difference from an iPhone 6, to a Fiio X3ii, listening to FLAC.  Don't think you'll regret getting it. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #2,203 of 2,884
My 2C.

I have Sennies HD 598, 650 (2 sets), 800 + AKG 702.  The following comments exclude the HD800 as it is balanced connection to a system,  but do refer to classical music of all types in FLAC form via a SONY NWS A17.

The bass via the HE400S is the best.

The midrange is clean, articulate, ....

The highs are not harsh etc to these ears.

The "soundspace" is as good as the HD800 on the main headphone system.

Now please note that is my interpretation of the audio via my ears attached to my brain.  Others have different brains, ears and conditioning (and that is a factor not to be ignored - some have got used to thumping bass or whatever and prefer it).

I am past listening for distortions etc.  Some might be on the recording anyway so trying to get rid of them by hardware is a licence for madness - but of course the manufacturers love it!

Yes the AQ via the HE400S is different.  BUT just because it is different does not mean it is better (and that is a sideways step many "audiiophiles take and rave about the audio being superior), although in this case I think it is better - just my personal opinion FWIW.

John

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #2,204 of 2,884
I just picked up a used pair of HE-400S.  They are in excellent condition, but the previous owner had taken the earpads and put them on wrong.  The pads are angled - which way is the thick side supposed to go on?  When I got them, the thick end was not on the same place on the left and right earcups.

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #2,205 of 2,884
  I just picked up a used pair of HE-400S.  They are in excellent condition, but the previous owner had taken the earpads and put them on wrong.  The pads are angled - which way is the thick side supposed to go on?  When I got them, the thick end was not on the same place on the left and right earcups.

Thick side should be on the back of your ear

Thin side on the front, the side closer to your eyes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back