NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jan 20, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #2,056 of 2,884
  Listening HE400s with alpha pad + Cavalli LC is a joy. Using the alpha pad, the sound become more intimate, it is like you are listening to a closed headphone but it's not, the sound is still airy and open. I've been listening nonstop using my HE400s than my Z7.

Thank you, I`ve been waiting on a review with these cans using the alpha pads! Anybody else?

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #2,057 of 2,884
  Listening HE400s with alpha pad + Cavalli LC is a joy. Using the alpha pad, the sound become more intimate, it is like you are listening to a closed headphone but it's not, the sound is still airy and open. I've been listening nonstop using my HE400s than my Z7.

were the alpha pads hard to get on? also does it affect the midrange any?

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #2,058 of 2,884
  were the alpha pads hard to get on? also does it affect the midrange any?

Installing the pad to the plastic thingy is not hard, but attaching the plastic ring + the alpha pad needs a bit of patience. It was hard at first, but then if you do it once or twice, you will know the trick. Because the alpha pad is bigger than the plastic ring, the thing that will attached to the headphone can be covered by it. 

The pads also affecting the sound for sure. Midrange is more forward, bass has more body and punch, treble is unchanged.

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #2,059 of 2,884
  Installing the pad to the plastic thingy is not hard, but attaching the plastic ring + the alpha pad needs a bit of patience. It was hard at first, but then if you do it once or twice, you will know the trick. Because the alpha pad is bigger than the plastic ring, the thing that will attached to the headphone can be covered by it. 

The pads also affecting the sound for sure. Midrange is more forward, bass has more body and punch, treble is unchanged.

1 more question, did the thickness in those pads change the clamping factor much?

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #2,061 of 2,884
  1 more question, did the thickness in those pads change the clamping factor much?

Because of the thickness of alpha pad, the clamping has changed a bit, but you can counter it by bending the metal band a little bit and moving the adjuster up. Actually, the clamping is almost the same with Mr.Speaker MadDog. Also, the alpha pads is much more comfortable than the stock pads, after awhile, my skin gets itchy using the stock pads. The alpha pads feels more secure and doesn't touch the tip of my earlobe.

Jan 22, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #2,064 of 2,884
Hey guys im planning on buying an amp plus DAC and was wondering from your experiences do the 400S benefit well from it although the 400S are low impedance?
Thinking about Schit stack or O2/ODAC
Thanks in advance

The 400S definitely benefits from more power. I honestly wouldn't even bother running it directly from my phone. Give that baby some juice!

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #2,065 of 2,884
  HE400s owners, do you feel the need or the urge to upgrade to the 400i?  I am thinking of getting my first pair of planars and I can't really afford the 400i right now.  Wondering if most of your think the 400i is worth the extra premium for those who have heard both.

I know there are 400i or 400s threads but I want to know specifically why you decided on the 400s over the 400i?  Is it only money?  Or you didn't think it was worh the extra money for what's you're getting back?

Also, I already own the Q701 and the DT880.  Do you think the 400s will be in a completely "different league" in terms of overall sound quality?  Or it's essential the same league just different sound signature?

Appreciate any comments.

I know others have answered, but I'll throw my 2 cents in...I bought my 400S December 10th. Added Focus Pads A, Made the grill mods. Upgraded from a FiiO E11 to a soundblaster E5 (dont' laugh, it is awesome) ...400I went on sale, bought it so I could compare and send back the loser....just bought an APPJ PA1502A tube amp last week.

Which do I prefer? Hands down the 400S, with the pads, grill mod, running Tidal through my laptop, out USB thru my E5 DAC, then out to my tube amp ...works awesome. The E5 has some DSP control, so I can tweak the bass in both headphones and they both have very satisfying bass, fairly tight and deep. Right now, the E5 has a better soundstage and airiness over the tube amp, but it still has the stock tubes... I still listen through the 1502 because it is just more fun.

The 400I is a great headphone...they sound quieter, have more detail, I love their looks, but are not as open and airy as the 400S. It has Focus Pads stock, (I have not tried the A's on it), and Ive modded the grills, but ti didn't have the impact that the 400S did, so I've put the stock grills back on. They also feel a little heavier and fit tighter on my head, the 400s feels lighter and softer as soon as I put them on.

I constantly swap the HPs back and forth, but the 400I's dont stay on my head for very long...I probably like the 400i's a little better for classical music, but dam, the 400s's just seem to work with everything. Everything is really broken in well now and the sound from the 400s is just so open and alive. The 400I's fell like closed back HP's. I've read through all the opinions and those that only have the 400I's say wonderful things about them. I just wonder if they've ever listened to broke-in 400s hot rod. Ive also read from people that have heard both and dont feel like there is much difference. Very curious, I wondered if both sets were broke in well and was listening to them with a good source and amp (Not out of a phone)? Or I must just have a wicked, one of a kind headphone here in my 400S. My wife spent an evening listening to both and didn't hesitate to say she preferred the 400S, she just quiet trying the 400I...she wont even try them on now.

On a side note, something I hadn't expected, but I find the open back ear cups are much easier on my ears. I have some closed back EDM head thumpers that would leave me ringing for hours after using them. I get none of that from the open back, even though I will run them fairly hard sometimes...I think the closed backs, since they have a seal, are concussing your ear drums with sonic shock waves. The bass on my planars is much more satisfying because it is detailed, deep, accurate, and blends with the rest of the music, instead of just a bloated thump on top of a veiled mid range and highs. I've never had a such a pleasing setup as I have now. My original budget for new headphones was $200...I've spent $1,000 now and didn't blink at all because this is so worth it... 
Any body want to buy my HE400I's, I'll sell them for $350 with the grill mods I made!
L3000.gif

Terry

Jan 22, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #2,066 of 2,884
My 400s has just arrived. I know, it is too early to judge, but I felt this urge to share.
It is much smaller than I expected. I have to use the max settings on the headband to have a comfy fit. Otherwise it is very comfy.
I know, I have to give them 150 hrs burn in, and I also will change the pads for the HM5 ones.
But so far, out of the box they are quite disappointing.
Yes, the promise of transparency and detail and linearity is there, but it sounds lifeless and boring compared to X2, and bass is missing.
I really hope, this is just an immature impression, and things will improve after burn in and changing the pads, cause I really like the ergonomics of the 400s and the forwardness and naturalness of mids/vocals, the separation and details with the completely black background, but so far they sound lifeless and boring. Even though, there is a couple of things in the sound I can already like over X2. Hopefully they will break in by time (and pad and grill mods), but so far 8:2 for X2.
Also, while X2 sounds acceptable from any source, 400s is really bad from cheap source. I did this first impression comparison using Mojo.
As I exceed the 150hrs burn in and my HM5 pads arrive I report back. But out of the box there is not very much to love in 400s.

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #2,067 of 2,884
With the stock pads, the 400S feels analytical compared to the X2, which is a majorly fun set of headphones.

I think burn in and a change of pads will improve your opinion of them. But no matter what you do, they will never sound like the X2. IMO, that's a good thing, because the X2 already does what it does very well.

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #2,068 of 2,884
With the stock pads, the 400S feels analytical compared to the X2, which is a majorly fun set of headphones.

I think burn in and a change of pads will improve your opinion of them. But no matter what you do, they will never sound like the X2. IMO, that's a good thing, because the X2 already does what it does very well.

If you like the x2`s you`ll love the th-xoo. I have both and I don`t think the x2`s have been on my head since I got the Fostex. Of course ymmv.

I also have the 400S and prefer the th xoo.

Don`t get me wrong, the 400S and the X2 are really good headphones and I`d like to try the 400S with alpha pads.

Jan 22, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #2,069 of 2,884
Yep, I've heard that the TH-X00 is the next step up from the X2. Lots of bass but very well controlled.

If you're looking for a bass-heavy can, the 400S will not be the right one for you, regardless of what pads you put on it.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #2,070 of 2,884
  Yep, I've heard that the TH-X00 is the next step up from the X2. Lots of bass but very well controlled.

If you're looking for a bass-heavy can, the 400S will not be the right one for you, regardless of what pads you put on it.

You know, I`m not sure what I`m looking for in the 400S. I know, as is, it`s better imo than the X2 for classical and vocal music. That said, I listen to mostly jazz trios and quartets. The th-xoo, again imo, outshines both for that genre. Clean, natural, great bass, mids and highs. Probably not a great description but it`s the best I`ve got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back