NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jan 16, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #2,041 of 2,884
Yeah those are the correct ones, you will either need to remove the rings from the stock pads, buy the leather pads or email hifiman to buy the rings (some people have said this work for them). If and when you get them strech them before trying anything it may seem as if the rings wont fit but they will eventually!!!
PS. make sure the clips are align when interting the rings in the pads, otherwise it will be alittle bit hard to adjust them

Thanks! They look like a tight fit, inserting the ring will take some effort, looks like. I'll give it a go and report back

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #2,042 of 2,884
  For those that may be interested, I finally had an opportunity to compare the 400S to the 400i.  The 400S was the more sensitive headphone, so they are the preferable choice if you were driving them without amplification.  But when driven with an amp, I felt that the sound quality differences were minimal.  And even where differences were detectable, I found it difficult to define a preference.  Maybe those with more experienced ears would disagree, but I struggled to pick out which headphone I liked more - both sound excellent, in my opinion.

I'm surprized that you would see minimal differences, but I guess all ears are different indeed.

I had been listening to the HE-400s for a week when I received the 400i a few days ago. Man do I find them different. I already knew I wasn't such a big fan of the 400s, but I instantly became a 400i addict 
biggrin.gif

Smaller soundstage, which I actually like for being more intimate (always been the case, hence my previous HD650), better bass, and above all, feels a lot better on a technical standpoint.
It sounds pretty good on my smartphone, as well as on the Crack. I'll still be trying another amp normally more suited for a low impendance, unless the Crack, to compare. Strangely, it sounds quite awful on the Asus Essence STX, I can hardly stand it, it "shouts" a lot.

I can only tolerate the 400s on the Crack, but for hardly longer than 30 minutes... maybe 15 minutes on my smartphone. It annoys my ears somehow. Reminds me of the effect the HD800 had on me that way. Coming from the HE-560, its overall resolution also felt disappointedly low (relatively speaking with the price in mind), whereas the 400i doesn't sound that far off.

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #2,043 of 2,884

I'm surprized that you would see minimal differences, but I guess all ears are different indeed.

I had been listening to the HE-400s for a week when I received the 400i a few days ago. Man do I find them different. I already knew I wasn't such a big fan of the 400s, but I instantly became a 400i addict 
biggrin.gif

Smaller soundstage, which I actually like for being more intimate (always been the case, hence my previous HD650), better bass, and above all, feels a lot better on a technical standpoint.
It sounds pretty good on my smartphone, as well as on the Crack. I'll still be trying another amp normally more suited for a low impendance, unless the Crack, to compare. Strangely, it sounds quite awful on the Asus Essence STX, I can hardly stand it, it "shouts" a lot.

I can only tolerate the 400s on the Crack, but for hardly longer than 30 minutes... maybe 15 minutes on my smartphone. It annoys my ears somehow. Reminds me of the effect the HD800 had on me that way. Coming from the HE-560, its overall resolution also felt disappointedly low (relatively speaking with the price in mind), whereas the 400i doesn't sound that far off.

Man, this is so weird. I can't stand the HE400i. It sounded like HD800S. Very good technically but I just cannot connect to the music with it. Guess that why we have 2 models :) 

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #2,044 of 2,884
Yeah those are the correct ones, you will either need to remove the rings from the stock pads, buy the leather pads or email hifiman to buy the rings (some people have said this work for them). If and when you get them strech them before trying anything it may seem as if the rings wont fit but they will eventually!!!
PS. make sure the clips are align when interting the rings in the pads, otherwise it will be alittle bit hard to adjust them

OK, managed to get them to fit after destroying the stock pads and loosening the Brainwavz' a bit. Gotta say, I do prefer the sound out of these, who'd have thought it actually makes a difference. Thanks for the help, eh? Here's a pic of the installed earpads as well:

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #2,045 of 2,884

Man, this is so weird. I can't stand the HE400i. It sounded like HD800S. Very good technically but I just cannot connect to the music with it. Guess that why we have 2 models :) 

The 400S isn't a flagship by any means, but I will say no one comes close in price/performance (especially when you get them on sale as I did). It's perfectly fair to not like their sound signature (this is a subjective hobby after all). I am very curious to listen to the Edition X though, got my eye on it for this year.

Edited for clarity/typos

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #2,046 of 2,884
OK, managed to get them to fit after destroying the stock pads and loosening the Brainwavz' a bit. Gotta say, I do prefer the sound out of these, who'd have thought it actually makes a difference. Thanks for the help, eh? Here's a pic of the installed earpads as well:

Those look awesome! Yeah I have been going from the stock pads to these for a couple of weeks and both are excellent in what they provide. I am so please with the 400S, now I have to buy a good amp and DAC. What are you using ?

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #2,047 of 2,884
Those look awesome! Yeah I have been going from the stock pads to these for a couple of weeks and both are excellent in what they provide. I am so please with the 400S, now I have to buy a good amp and DAC. What are you using ?

Well, these are for my fiancé, and she uses it with her Android phone. I have a Sony ZX2 that I use for my portable setup, that's what I primarily use these with, but it also sounds good out of my iPhone 6s+ and Nexus 6p (Tidal lossless)

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #2,048 of 2,884
Hi 400s thread,

My main headphones in the last 6 months were the Fidelio X2s. I love them very much, but sometimes the bass quantity is a bit much (however I love bass, and is important in my music) and not very clear/detailed/refined. I preferred mids and highs a bit more on my HD600, but the X2 won me over with the bass, thicker and much more fun sound. I really like them.
 Sometimes however as I said, the bass is too much, and just the quantity, not the quality. For a long time I'd like to try planars, never tried any. And I know, 400s is not The Authentic planar, but still planar. I did't want to spend £600 for a new pair of headphones, but I had an amazing deal for an opened box but new 400s for £160. I am really curious, how I will find the sound.
I am just about to order pads, but have a couple of questions:

1, Which pads are more recommended, the Brainwavz or the focus pads? Is there any difference how they sound?
2, I could get HE-500 leather pads for much cheaper than any of the previous two. Would it do the job?
3, is there any place in the UK where I could order just the plastic rings?

Once I had some listening time with the 400s (modded pads) I will report back, what I think about them compared to the X2s.

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #2,049 of 2,884
  Hi 400s thread,

My main headphones in the last 6 months were the Fidelio X2s. I love them very much, but sometimes the bass quantity is a bit much (however I love bass, and is important in my music) and not very clear/detailed/refined. I preferred mids and highs a bit more on my HD600, but the X2 won me over with the bass, thicker and much more fun sound. I really like them.
 Sometimes however as I said, the bass is too much, and just the quantity, not the quality. For a long time I'd like to try planars, never tried any. And I know, 400s is not The Authentic planar, but still planar. I did't want to spend £600 for a new pair of headphones, but I had an amazing deal for an opened box but new 400s for £160. I am really curious, how I will find the sound.
I am just about to order pads, but have a couple of questions:

1, Which pads are more recommended, the Brainwavz or the focus pads? Is there any difference how they sound?
2, I could get HE-500 leather pads for much cheaper than any of the previous two. Would it do the job?
3, is there any place in the UK where I could order just the plastic rings?

Once I had some listening time with the 400s (modded pads) I will report back, what I think about them compared to the X2s.

I don't know about the difference of sound of the Brainwavz vs the focus, but I have the both the Brainwavz and the leather. All I could say is that the leather in my opinion do not provide the bass benefit, to my ears they actually sound worst than the stock pads in that they reduce the mids and clarity, but you do get the rings from them.  You can also email HIFIman for the rings. Good Luck

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #2,050 of 2,884
My FocusPads arrived!

It was a pain in the ass to change the pads and when i was finally done i saw that i forgot to look where right and left is. ._.

But now after i changed them i am so happy. I can't believe how much better the bass sounds. Overall i think the mids are a bit more shouty? But maybe i'm imagining things. They definitely sound alot darker now but that is fine with me! :) 

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #2,051 of 2,884
  My FocusPads arrived!

It was a pain in the ass to change the pads and when i was finally done i saw that i forgot to look where right and left is. ._.

But now after i changed them i am so happy. I can't believe how much better the bass sounds. Overall i think the mids are a bit more shouty? But maybe i'm imagining things. They definitely sound alot darker now but that is fine with me! :) 

keep us updated on the pad quality. after looking on amazon there are people with the pads coming apart after a short time.

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #2,052 of 2,884
My 400s is arriving in a couple of days. I decided to go for the Brainwavz pads (after "Z"'s raving about them), but there are two different type of these pads. Which one I need?
This more simple one, or this HM5 version? Is there any difference? Maybe in size?

Edit: Ok, I figured out, it is the HM5 one. On its way. :)

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #2,053 of 2,884
My 400s is arriving in a couple of days. I decided to go for the Brainwavz pads (after "Z"'s raving about them), but there are two different type of these pads. Which one I need?
This more simple one, or this HM5 version? Is there any difference? Maybe in size?

Edit: Ok, I figured out, it is the HM5 one. On its way. :)

How much improve the sound with the chord mojo?

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #2,055 of 2,884
Listening HE400s with alpha pad + Cavalli LC is a joy. Using the alpha pad, the sound become more intimate, it is like you are listening to a closed headphone but it's not, the sound is still airy and open. I've been listening nonstop using my HE400s than my Z7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back