NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jan 11, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2,011 of 2,884
Thanks for the feedback.  I had really been looking mostly at open, over-ears, hoping to get the best imaging and soundstage possible.  Hadn't really considered the Oppo, although I see it's gotten great reviews.  How's its soundstage when compared with open-back cans?

I can say I am greatly enjoying my HE400s and their sound quality closely matches the pristine quality of my AKG3003. That is a real order to match. The Hifimans have the additional advantage of the open can feel. Does not have the beautiful bass of the AKGs though, but that's expected given its tuning.

They also run very well from my HTC one M7 with only a slight improvement in overall quality when I use my VAMP Verza.

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #2,012 of 2,884
For those that may be interested, I finally had an opportunity to compare the 400S to the 400i.  The 400S was the more sensitive headphone, so they are the preferable choice if you were driving them without amplification.  But when driven with an amp, I felt that the sound quality differences were minimal.  And even where differences were detectable, I found it difficult to define a preference.  Maybe those with more experienced ears would disagree, but I struggled to pick out which headphone I liked more - both sound excellent, in my opinion.

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #2,016 of 2,884
  I ordered Focus Pads for my 400S. They should arrive tomorrow. I'll report back with my thoughts.

I`ve heard other impression from those using focus pads. I`m just really curious about the alpha pads with these if I don`t like them with my he-400S. Still highly curious about your focus pad swap tho. Looking forward to your impressions.

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #2,017 of 2,884

I`ve heard other impression from those using focus pads. I`m just really curious about the alpha pads with these if I don`t like them with my he-400S. Still highly curious about your focus pad swap tho. Looking forward to your impressions.

I just swapped my stock pad with Alpha pad and the difference is huge. With stock pad, the sound is more in your face, with alpha pad, the sounds is more telescopic and 3D (I think it has to do with the alpha pad being thicker so the distant between the ear and the driver is farther). The biggest difference is the bass, with stock pad, it was not bad, but it lacks body/punch, with alpha pad, it gains more body, the bass is more solid. Don't find any differences with the treble. All in all, alpha pad really do make a positive improvement over the stock pad. 

PS: I am using Cavalli LC and it really synergize really well with HE400S. Bass is solid and tight with nice thump although the alpha pad enhanced it even more, but still not even in the same quantity as X2 or Z7.

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #2,019 of 2,884
  I just swapped my stock pad with Alpha pad and the difference is huge. With stock pad, the sound is more in your face, with alpha pad, the sounds is more telescopic and 3D (I think it has to do with the alpha pad being thicker so the distant between the ear and the driver is farther). The biggest difference is the bass, with stock pad, it was not bad, but it lacks body/punch, with alpha pad, it gains more body, the bass is more solid. Don't find any differences with the treble. All in all, alpha pad really do make a positive improvement over the stock pad. 

PS: I am using Cavalli LC and it really synergize really well with HE400S. Bass is solid and tight with nice thump although the alpha pad enhanced it even more, but still not even in the same quantity as X2 or Z7.

Oops... meant to say... if I didn't like them with my th-xoo. So, overall you like the alpha's on the 400S. Really good to hear, gives me a couple options. Thanks for your input vm.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #2,021 of 2,884
Yesterday i finally received my pair!

First impressions prior to burn in: I am impressed. Really, really impressed. I knew planar headphones are fast and excel at imaging but this is just such an improvement to dynamics its wonderful. I own a pair of Yamaha MT220 and a pair of HD700. While i could only stand the HD700 with equalizing (painful peak) and while i love(d) the Yamaha MT220, the HE400s are just so wonderfully "neutral" and bring the midrange forward like never heard before. It's like the MT220 for example focused on the treble and bass and the HE400s focus on the mids and the bass and treble are just nice extensions to the midrange.

I do have to say that they don't sound that good out of my iPod touch 5g because these just can't drive them loud or satisfying enough. But on my iPad Air 2... oh boy.. i haven't thought they could sound this good out of an mobile device. And yes they DO sound better on my Xonar Essence STX (audiophile soundcard) they just sound satisfying enough straight out of my iPad. And the biggest plus, i can listen in bed.

Overall just phenomenal. Can't wait to get home and listen to them alot more.. right now they are burning in but i really can't imagine how they could sound even better than they do now.

I do have to say that the bass extension is missing a bit. But from what i've red that improves drastically with the focus pads which are on the way to me. I did give them some tiny bit of bass over the Spotify equalizer and i'm already satisfied!

Because i live in germany i paid 400€ for them instead of 300$ but this is just fine with me.

They trump the MT220 and just blow the HD700 in the wind. Just my opinion of course. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #2,022 of 2,884
  Yesterday i finally received my pair!

First impressions prior to burn in: I am impressed. Really, really impressed. I knew planar headphones are fast and excel at imaging but this is just such an improvement to dynamics its wonderful. I own a pair of Yamaha MT220 and a pair of HD700. While i could only stand the HD700 with equalizing (painful peak) and while i love(d) the Yamaha MT220, the HE400s are just so wonderfully "neutral" and bring the midrange forward like never heard before. It's like the MT220 for example focused on the treble and bass and the HE400s focus on the mids and the bass and treble are just nice extensions to the midrange.

I do have to say that they don't sound that good out of my iPod touch 5g because these just can't drive them loud or satisfying enough. But on my iPad Air 2... oh boy.. i haven't thought they could sound this good out of an mobile device. And yes they DO sound better on my Xonar Essence STX (audiophile soundcard) they just sound satisfying enough straight out of my iPad. And the biggest plus, i can listen in bed.

Overall just phenomenal. Can't wait to get home and listen to them alot more.. right now they are burning in but i really can't imagine how they could sound even better than they do now.

I do have to say that the bass extension is missing a bit. But from what i've red that improves drastically with the focus pads which are on the way to me. I did give them some tiny bit of bass over the Spotify equalizer and i'm already satisfied!

Because i live in germany i paid 400€ for them instead of 300$ but this is just fine with me.

They trump the MT220 and just blow the HD700 in the wind. Just my opinion of course. 

Have you tried the grill mod? It's quite a good mod as it makes the sound "airier".

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #2,024 of 2,884
  I would love to but i am way to afraid of dust entering between the magnets or even hairs given that i lie in bed with them. I could cut some other material as dust cover but i'm not sure if that would be an improvement. 

I'm not sure of the impact of dust but it looks easy to clean with the simple dust blower. The only gripe right now is the cable which doesn't look and feel very good. Like to change it to a nicer one. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #2,025 of 2,884
I would love to but i am way to afraid of dust entering between the magnets or even hairs given that i lie in bed with them. I could cut some other material as dust cover but i'm not sure if that would be an improvement. 

I used pantyhose material and it worked like a charm. Its acoustically transparent and breathable. Im a audiology student and we use it for speech testing at the clinic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back