NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jan 13, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #2,026 of 2,884
I'm not sure of the impact of dust but it looks easy to clean with the simple dust blower. The only gripe right now is the cable which doesn't look and feel very good. Like to change it to a nicer one. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I also found the cable too stiff and bought a replacement on E-Bay for $31 shipped. It IS way more flexible but sounds flat, lifeless and lacking detail compared to the HM OEM cable. I am back to using the stiff silver over copper(?)HM cable.

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #2,028 of 2,884
I've been listening to the 400S with Focus Pads on all day today. To me, this sounds like a completely reinvigorated headphone. The bass has more impact, although I do feel it's gotten a bit messier. It seems more controlled with the stock pads, but you feel it a lot less. So that's a trade off. However, for me, the bigger impact was that everything felt more tight and upfront, not just the bass. Rock music sounded a little too laid back with the stock pads, but with the Focus Pads they have a lot more balls. I know some people felt the Focus Pads exacerbated the recessed mids, but I didn't notice this. Perhaps my prior removal of the dust covers from the stock grills negated or at least lessened this aspect. The nice thing is that they still aren't fatiguing. To my ears, going with the Focus Pads is a big improvement.

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #2,029 of 2,884
  Yesterday i finally received my pair!

First impressions prior to burn in: I am impressed. Really, really impressed. I knew planar headphones are fast and excel at imaging but this is just such an improvement to dynamics its wonderful. I own a pair of Yamaha MT220 and a pair of HD700. While i could only stand the HD700 with equalizing (painful peak) and while i love(d) the Yamaha MT220, the HE400s are just so wonderfully "neutral" and bring the midrange forward like never heard before. It's like the MT220 for example focused on the treble and bass and the HE400s focus on the mids and the bass and treble are just nice extensions to the midrange.

I do have to say that they don't sound that good out of my iPod touch 5g because these just can't drive them loud or satisfying enough. But on my iPad Air 2... oh boy.. i haven't thought they could sound this good out of an mobile device. And yes they DO sound better on my Xonar Essence STX (audiophile soundcard) they just sound satisfying enough straight out of my iPad. And the biggest plus, i can listen in bed.

Overall just phenomenal. Can't wait to get home and listen to them alot more.. right now they are burning in but i really can't imagine how they could sound even better than they do now.

I do have to say that the bass extension is missing a bit. But from what i've red that improves drastically with the focus pads which are on the way to me. I did give them some tiny bit of bass over the Spotify equalizer and i'm already satisfied!

Because i live in germany i paid 400€ for them instead of 300$ but this is just fine with me.

They trump the MT220 and just blow the HD700 in the wind. Just my opinion of course. 

The pad mod definitely improve the low end big time. You will love it even more I think.

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #2,030 of 2,884
  I've been listening to the 400S with Focus Pads on all day today. To me, this sounds like a completely reinvigorated headphone. The bass has more impact, although I do feel it's gotten a bit messier. It seems more controlled with the stock pads, but you feel it a lot less. So that's a trade off. However, for me, the bigger impact was that everything felt more tight and upfront, not just the bass. Rock music sounded a little too laid back with the stock pads, but with the Focus Pads they have a lot more balls. I know some people felt the Focus Pads exacerbated the recessed mids, but I didn't notice this. Perhaps my prior removal of the dust covers from the stock grills negated or at least lessened this aspect. The nice thing is that they still aren't fatiguing. To my ears, going with the Focus Pads is a big improvement.

I have the Focus Pad 'A' and find they do indeed add a bit more bass as well as some heft and weight to the sound of the 400S. I have a feeling things may get interesting when the Brainwavz pads enter the competition.............. not to mention the Vali 2 amp arriving Saturday! 

Bottom line: The 400S stock is one hell of a bargain at $250-$300 retail even w/o ANY changes, additions or mods! It's BIG fun rediscovering your entire music collection.

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #2,031 of 2,884
Can you even go back to dynamic headphones after you own a planar magnetic? :p

I was always on the hunt for a headphone with big drivers that cover a huge ear area. Like the Fidelio X2's.. they cover almost your entire ear because the driver is 50mm and fairly close to your ear. This results in a overall bigger sound picture. 

But then the HE400s come and they have this freaking huge driver thats almost bigger than your ear and this huge sound picture is just addicting. Can't listen to dynamic headphones anymore because NOW i notice the not-so-well-defined bass and the sound picture is alot smaller.

EDIT:

I didn't wanted to double post so i just edit my question in here:

Does your HE400s also have a good bit of resistance when swiveling the earcups? Not right and left swirl but up and down.

Also, when i have them on it seems like the right and left swirl hast a stronger resistance as to the swirl on the right side.

Do you have this too? Just want to make sure my pair is in mint condition. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #2,032 of 2,884
Can you even go back to dynamic headphones after you own a planar magnetic? :p

I was always on the hunt for a headphone with big drivers that cover a huge ear area. Like the Fidelio X2's.. they cover almost your entire ear because the driver is 50mm and fairly close to your ear. This results in a overall bigger sound picture. 

But then the HE400s come and they have this freaking huge driver thats almost bigger than your ear and this huge sound picture is just addicting. Can't listen to dynamic headphones anymore because NOW i notice the not-so-well-defined bass and the sound picture is alot smaller.

EDIT:

I didn't wanted to double post so i just edit my question in here:

Does your HE400s also have a good bit of resistance when swiveling the earcups? Not right and left swirl but up and down.

Also, when i have them on it seems like the right and left swirl hast a stronger resistance as to the swirl on the right side.

Do you have this too? Just want to make sure my pair is in mint condition. 

The up and down swivel resistance is normal, with use it will get looser but still smooth.

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #2,033 of 2,884
The more and more I read and see of the HE400S, I just want to try it.  I am, and have been debating getting a pair of Grado RS2e or SR325e to take over for my K7XX's, but now the HE400S has been added to the equation.  Head-Fi really is a cruel mistress!  Always finding more and more.  Anyone around who has listened to the 'phones in question and can compare?

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #2,034 of 2,884
HE400s owners, do you feel the need or the urge to upgrade to the 400i?  I am thinking of getting my first pair of planars and I can't really afford the 400i right now.  Wondering if most of your think the 400i is worth the extra premium for those who have heard both.

I know there are 400i or 400s threads but I want to know specifically why you decided on the 400s over the 400i?  Is it only money?  Or you didn't think it was worh the extra money for what's you're getting back?

Also, I already own the Q701 and the DT880.  Do you think the 400s will be in a completely "different league" in terms of overall sound quality?  Or it's essential the same league just different sound signature?

Appreciate any comments.

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #2,035 of 2,884
HE400s owners, do you feel the need or the urge to upgrade to the 400i?  I am thinking of getting my first pair of planars and I can't really afford the 400i right now.  Wondering if most of your think the 400i is worth the extra premium for those who have heard both.

I know there are 400i or 400s threads but I want to know specifically why you decided on the 400s over the 400i?  Is it only money?  Or you didn't think it was worh the extra money for what's you're getting back?

Also, I already own the Q701 and the DT880.  Do you think the 400s will be in a completely "different league" in terms of overall sound quality?  Or it's essential the same league just different sound signature?

Appreciate any comments.

An often asked question in this thread. Check post numbers 1787, 1846, 1849

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #2,039 of 2,884
Can anyone confirm if these are the right Brainwavz pads to get for the HE-400S?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZY8PGJI

Don't want to get pads that don't fit. Also, how do you apply the pads? I'm assuming you will have to tear the plastic ring off the stock pads, but is there anything else that needs to be done to make them work with the Brainwavz pads?

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #2,040 of 2,884
Can anyone confirm if these are the right Brainwavz pads to get for the HE-400S?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZY8PGJI

Don't want to get pads that don't fit. Also, how do you apply the pads? I'm assuming you will have to tear the plastic ring off the stock pads, but is there anything else that needs to be done to make them work with the Brainwavz pads?

Yeah those are the correct ones, you will either need to remove the rings from the stock pads, buy the leather pads or email hifiman to buy the rings (some people have said this work for them). If and when you get them strech them before trying anything it may seem as if the rings wont fit but they will eventually!!!
PS. make sure the clips are align when interting the rings in the pads, otherwise it will be alittle bit hard to adjust them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back