NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Dec 21, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #1,923 of 2,884
Hi Everyone, after reading so many posts about modifying the 400S, I'm wondering if the 400S is the right headphone for me.  I really don't want to modify headphones - I would prefer them to perform optimally as purchased in stock configuration.  I'm relatively new to head-fi, so I wonder if my expectations are too high for a stock headphone; or if I have an unrealistic aversion to modding headphones.  

Should I be considering the 400i or other HiFiMan versions instead, which are better right out of the box?

Thanks!

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #1,924 of 2,884
The HE400S is my first 'real' (more than $100 retail) headphones so I can't give you a 400i comparison.
I was thrilled with the sound of these hp right out of the box with 0 hours on them.

I could easily have lived with these in their stock configuration, but for very little additional money ($8) and a little time I did the grill mod that is 100% reversible. I have also ordered some  Brainwavz angled pads($18.50) so, by audio standards, very little money. All in, still under $300.

I may end up with an even 'mo betta' pair of 400S............. or revert to stock if I want to go back to the original sound.

Modding isn't for everyone, but these are fairly simple tweeks you may (or may not) want to try to improve on an already great sounding inexpensive hp.

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #1,925 of 2,884
Supa Mint
I completely understand your issue. I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I also am new to head-fi and have recently purchased my first quality pair of headphones. As nwavesailor stated, the sound quality of the 400S's are darn good right out of the box. Myself, I was satisfied. However, I did change the earpads from the stock ones to the HiFiMan Focus Earpads ($25). I did it because I found the stock earpads uncomfortable. Plus, the Focus pads help with the bass a bit as they are sealed around the edges. Since the pads are meant to be changed out, it's an easy process and I think can only be considered as a most basic "mod".

I have no plans to make the grill mod. For me, these sound terrific as-is.

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #1,926 of 2,884
Where did you find the focus pads for $25?  I have only seen them for $39 and they are sold out.  I have done the grill mod and it sounds awesome.  This is also my first pair of nice headphones and the grill mod was very easy.  It took me about five minutes.  It's easy to change back as well if you don't like it.

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #1,927 of 2,884
Sorry, my mistake. I paid $39. I was thinking of the price I paid for a set of Brainwavz I have on order.

So, now you got me re-considering the grill mod 
redface.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #1,928 of 2,884
  The HE400S is my first 'real' (more than $100 retail) headphones so I can't give you a 400i comparison.
I was thrilled with the sound of these hp right out of the box with 0 hours on them.

I could easily have lived with these in their stock configuration, but for very little additional money ($8) and a little time I did the grill mod that is 100% reversible. I have also ordered some  Brainwavz angled pads($18.50) so, by audio standards, very little money. All in, still under $300.

I may end up with an even 'mo betta' pair of 400S............. or revert to stock if I want to go back to the original sound.

Modding isn't for everyone, but these are fairly simple tweeks you may (or may not) want to try to improve on an already great sounding inexpensive hp.

Ok, thanks nwavesailor.  If the mods are 100% reversible and relatively inexpensive, I can see the appeal.  It does make me wonder why HiFiMan thought that they should be sold as is, rather than with these simple upgrades that so many are finding to be a big improvement.  But I guess that it's hard to design a headphone for everyone's taste.  Do you think that if they sold them with a more open grill and thicker or angled pads that people would be modifying them by closing up the grill and putting thinner pads?  Maybe so, but it starts to make you wonder if there are other headphones that already come in a more optimal configuration.  I'm inexperienced at this, so I don't currently know - but I look forward to the process of finding out!

Supa Mint
I completely understand your issue. I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I also am new to head-fi and have recently purchased my first quality pair of headphones. As nwavesailor stated, the sound quality of the 400S's are darn good right out of the box. Myself, I was satisfied. However, I did change the earpads from the stock ones to the HiFiMan Focus Earpads ($25). I did it because I found the stock earpads uncomfortable. Plus, the Focus pads help with the bass a bit as they are sealed around the edges. Since the pads are meant to be changed out, it's an easy process and I think can only be considered as a most basic "mod".

I have no plans to make the grill mod. For me, these sound terrific as-is.

Thanks snafu1.  I feel like I understand the concept of tailoring headphones to our own preferences - that makes sense to me.  But after reading so many threads about (what appear to a newbie as) 'extensive' or 'significant' or 'dramatic' modifications, it starts to feel as if there may be a lot of flaws to begin with - or these headphones just aren't for everyone right out of the box.

It reminds me of the guy that you see (hear) driving a Honda Civic with custom exhaust, aftermarket turbos and high performance engine upgrades, racing suspension, larger wheels and brakes, and sticky tires.  The result is a great, high performance car.  But for all the work that he's put into it, you wonder if he'd have been better off just buying a Porsche.

Thanks for the further insight and perspective.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #1,929 of 2,884
@Supa Mint, I agree that the high degree of modding that some headphones seem to require is enough to put many purchasers off of them. I don't think the 400S falls into that category. They do sound great out of the box, and the few mods people have recommended are simple, cheap, and require little to no technical knowledge.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #1,930 of 2,884
Supa Mint

It all comes down to cost. Reviewers and folks who have had many hp's find these a great value for their $300 retail cost. A few $$$ here or there at the production end would not allow for this low retail price. Heck it's predecessor, the HE400i, had a retail cost of $500 so to take it down by $200 isn't easy and some cost cutting must be in play.

I, for one, think the HE400S is still a fantastic hp and great value as well!

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #1,931 of 2,884
Thanks everyone.  Looking forward to the process.  This forum may eventually turn me into a headphone modifier yet.

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #1,932 of 2,884
Today I went to Staples for some grill metal. I found the letter holder was one Dollar more money than a trashcan of the same metal. Also the can provides several times more metal to make into grills.

I think we should start a grill metal swap club. Now that I have what I need I wouldn't mind having some of the larger weave grills I have seen on here. I for one would be willing to trade two squares of my metal for the same with the wider weave.

Ideas?

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #1,933 of 2,884
Today I went to Staples for some grill metal. I found the letter holder was one Dollar more money than a trashcan of the same metal. Also the can provides several times more metal to make into grills.

I think we should start a grill metal swap club. Now that I have what I need I wouldn't mind having some of the larger weave grills I have seen on here. I for one would be willing to trade two squares of my metal for the same with the wider weave.

Ideas?

You might try your local car audio shop, they might have stockpile of speaker grills which are not installed.
I use my stock car panel grill when installing my JBL GTO speakers .The size holes on JBL grill is identical to stock HE400S grill.

On one note. I revert to original grill. I find it fatigue after long listening. Missing 3 D sound. I can fall asleep listening to stock grill:sleeping::thumbsup:.

Any way, im trying to source for larger holes with netting ( use the sun shades for car - can be bought cheaply). I especially love the retro grill on my X2.

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #1,934 of 2,884
If modding scares you, install the Focuspad A. They sound better with the stock grill than the Focuspad and stock pad. Expect bass extension and sharpening of the upper mids for drum kits with a healthy amount of attack.

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #1,935 of 2,884
I got to play my HE-400S' right next to the Audioquest Nighthawk in a side-by-side comparison, using the same phone/cd/amp/software.  I took my time with this test.

The Nighthawk plays only slightly louder, as they are more efficient.
They are also lighter weight and could be worn for many more hours without fatigue on the ears, if needed.
The Nighthawk had fuller bass, perhaps +2db below 200hz versus the 400S.
The Nighthawks had much grainer treble that I had never noticed before this comparison, and compared to the 400S had narrower soundstage by 1/3 to 1/2, although the soundstage width sounded "natural" on it's own.

High frequency information is so much better defined and silkier with the 400S. Much better air around instruments, especially at the extreme left/right. No "spit" added to violins, cymbals, etc. An absolutely transparent sound

The $700 price gets you a very sturdy headphone in the Nighthawk, and they leak little enough sound externally that you could use them in a normal (not dead-quiet) office without disturbing others.
Even taking into account these features, I can't imagine giving up my 400S for the other headphone, even if they were the SAME price (and of course the Nighhawk is more than 2x as expensive).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back