NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Aug 16, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #1,321 of 2,884
The HE 400S went into the market in an abruptive manner. Planar magnetic and $299 don't normally come in the same sentence.

Those that had better headphones, noticed shortcomings. Those who spent $300 for the first time were blown away. Bashing? Nah. These were impressions. Everyone has them. Good or bad.

Appreciation of these headphones must be viewed in context. You must know where you are in the appreciation spectrum. Find reviews where you most likely fit in terms of gears and experience.

Finally, audition. That settles all things.

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #1,322 of 2,884
The HE 400S went into the market in an abruptive manner. Planar magnetic and $299 don't normally come in the same sentence.

Those that had better headphones, noticed shortcomings. Those who spent $300 for the first time were blown away. Bashing? Nah. These were impressions. Everyone has them. Good or bad.

Appreciation of these headphones must be viewed in context. You must know where you are in the appreciation spectrum. Find reviews where you most likely fit in terms of gears and experience.

Finally, audition. That settles all things.

Agreed. If comparing against some of the $1k+ planar magnetics, it may not a fair fight, but the HE-400S definitely does not embarrass itself and its sound quality is extremely solid at the $300 price point. Very nice for more budget-limited audiophiles among us! :)

I hope this type of pricing trend also begins to become more popular to counter the current escalating price creep of headphones.

Aug 17, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #1,323 of 2,884
  Agreed. If comparing against some of the $1k+ planar magnetics, it may not a fair fight, but the HE-400S definitely does not embarrass itself and its sound quality is extremely solid at the $300 price point. Very nice for more budget-limited audiophiles among us! :)

I hope this type of pricing trend also begins to become more popular to counter the current escalating price creep of headphones.

My issue with these headphones is why you wouldn't just buy the more comfortable, better built and (imo) better sounding hd 600 at the same price point?

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #1,324 of 2,884

My issue with these headphones is why you wouldn't just buy the more comfortable, better built and (imo) better sounding hd 600 at the same price point?

Did you try 400s ?

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #1,325 of 2,884
Just a general comment - some of us are still rather new to the "modern" headphone world.

It definitely helps us to read things like this headphone requires X-number of hours of burn-in or it requires Y-watts of amplification. You know, things that keep it simple and help to identify if someone truly dislikes a headphone or simply has not done the correct setup steps required. I for one am willing to try any number of things to ensure proper setup.

But some of the comments I've been reading here seem to say, "Noob, go away!". This headphone, at its price and value, will bring a lot of noobs. So I think you all should be a little more welcoming. This is my first personal purchase of a planar headphone, and only my second listening in a home environment. I for one would appreciate more of your support and guidance.

About 40-hours into burn-in, and it is definitely starting to come together. I have been comparing it to my HD650, which has 10-years of burn-in and is perhaps not a fair and proper comparison. I will continue to burn while I'm away, and listen when I'm at home.

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #1,326 of 2,884

blink.gif

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #1,327 of 2,884

Comfortable? I didn't take the 400s off from my head since 2 days. They are comfortable.
Better build? Maybe. I woudn't say better. More like equal about this matter.
Better sounding? Nope. All nopes in the world. I would compare HD650 but HD600 is not even close. Maybe you like Senn's signature. I couldn't know. It's your choice.
Same price point? 400S is 300$+30$ with shipping and you're not paying any taxes. HD600 is 360$+40$+72$. I mean 330$ vs 472$ doesn't mean the same price point.

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #1,328 of 2,884

Comfortable? I didn't take the 400s off from my head since 2 days. They are comfortable.
Better build? Maybe. I woudn't say better. More like equal about this matter.
Better sounding? Nope. All nopes in the world. I would compare HD650 but HD600 is not even close. Maybe you like Senn's signature. I couldn't know. It's your choice.
Same price point? 400S is 300$+30$ with shipping and you're not paying any taxes. HD600 is 360$+40$+72$. I mean 330$ vs 472$ doesn't mean the same price point.

Bad maths, u need to add the price for an amp for the HD600

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #1,330 of 2,884
This is a hobby. One that is majority dominated by men. 

Just like car forums where people will beat the dead horse that the civic is fast, and that VTEC just kicked in yo. There will be those who owns the old stuff and align their "size" to how good their stuff is. And as a result need to tell you how your new stuff or alternative toy isn't as good as their toy.

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #1,332 of 2,884
Just a general comment - some of us are still rather new to the "modern" headphone world.

It definitely helps us to read things like this headphone requires X-number of hours of burn-in or it requires Y-watts of amplification. You know, things that keep it simple and help to identify if someone truly dislikes a headphone or simply has not done the correct setup steps required. I for one am willing to try any number of things to ensure proper setup.

But some of the comments I've been reading here seem to say, "Noob, go away!". This headphone, at its price and value, will bring a lot of noobs. So I think you all should be a little more welcoming. This is my first personal purchase of a planar headphone, and only my second listening in a home environment. I for one would appreciate more of your support and guidance.

About 40-hours into burn-in, and it is definitely starting to come together. I have been comparing it to my HD650, which has 10-years of burn-in and is perhaps not a fair and proper comparison. I will continue to burn while I'm away, and listen when I'm at home.

Keep burning them in.
The bass really opened up at 150 hrs.
They shine with a good amp.

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #1,333 of 2,884
The 400S are excellent headphones given the price. They sound good with almost anything, don't require special powerful amps and are just downright smooth and enjoyable 
L3000.gif

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #1,334 of 2,884
  I had these.
I had the HE400 too.
I liked the HE400i better.
So would you.

I would not really speak on others' behalf if I were you. There are people who prefer HE400S because they think HE400S has better mids and smoother treble. Some others enjoy the HE400 sig. We all like something else.

You say you had these. I wonder how much burn-in time you gave them cause these just get better and better. Apparently the optimal burn-in time is 150 hours.
They don't, 400s has nothing compared to lcd-2. Bass is just right on 400s, but doesn't slam like lcd-2

LCD-2 or LCD-2F? LCD-2F has inferior bass compared to original LCD-2.

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #1,335 of 2,884

I would not really speak on others' behalf if I were you. There are people who prefer HE400S because they think HE400S has better mids and smoother treble. Some others enjoy the HE400 sig. We all like something else.

You say you had these. I wonder how much burn-in time you gave them cause these just get better and better. Apparently the optimal burn-in time is 150 hours.
LCD-2 or LCD-2F? LCD-2F has inferior bass compared to original LCD-2.

Hey, well said! I couldn't quite +1 your post [past daily limit :p] but quoting for truth :}
I completely agree with the highlighted points.
I won't comment in burn-in as I am not quite decided on that thing. It quite varies for me and it might be brain burn-in instead :]
Just DON'T switch between headphones immediately. Let yourself acclimatize to the signature first. Then compare. Better for objectivity, speaking from experience :}
Also, let's not forget these are 299 headphones. LCD2 are 3x that, 4x if you're in Europe :/
Comfort-wise, the 400S spanks the LCD-2 and the more headphones I've tried, the more I can appreciate if a headphone is comfy :}
Just my 2c. YMMV, 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back