NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jul 23, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #826 of 2,884
  Thanks for clarifying; the HE-400s' are looking really interesting to me and might be my next headphone. Is there a big difference between the two Focuspads material-wise?

Yes, Focus pads are made of pleather and velour instead of just velour. They look much more luxurious and nice.

By the way, I sold X2s because I think HE400S is better at music. X2 was better at watching films but apparently Fostex is going to replace the now discontinued TH-600, and I'm thinking of buying that or perhaps Sennheiser HD 630 VB as basshead/films/games headphones to complement HE400S. Obviously if Philips releases a superior X3, I might consider that too.
smile.gif

Jul 23, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #827 of 2,884
I've sold TH600 recently - highs are too sharp for me. AKG K612 PRO delivered unmatched sound clarity along with inoffensive treble. But thanks to this thread I almost decided to try HE-400S instead of another AKGs (K7XX). Smooth mids and treble, planar bass - I should check it out.

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #828 of 2,884
  I've sold TH600 recently - highs are too sharp for me. AKG K612 PRO delivered unmatched sound clarity along with inoffensive treble. But thanks to this thread I almost decided to try HE-400S instead of another AKGs (K7XX). Smooth mids and treble, planar bass - I should check it out.

I know, that's why I hope the headphone that will replace TH-600 will have smooth highs. Somewhat recessed mids are ok as long as the bass is thunderous while still retaining Hi-Fi sound quality. But smooth highs are a must.

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #829 of 2,884
  The PM3 reminded me of an M50, yeah.

Really? I'd put tissue over the drivers to dull highs in my ATH-M50, and bass was plentiful. No veil. If anything a slight scooped sound, due to the extra bass and an extra high end peak. The PM3 from what I have heard has nowhere near the ATH-M50 subs.

That said, the 400s would be nice to break with the new trend their other newer headphones of less sub bass (also in the X1 to X2 and L1 to L2 by Phillips). It appears to be an "anti-beats" mentality, that's moving people away from sub bass unfortunately.

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #832 of 2,884

I recently heard the K612 Pro and preferred its more-focused sound-stage (center image) and frequency response (especially the mids) to the K7XX. Though, the K7XX did sound a bit airier and clearer... and its earpads and headband were significantly more comfortable than the K612.

The HE-400S' sound-stage and frequency response is similar to the K612... but is a bit better in every way (bass extension, clarity, instrument placement, detail retrieval, etc.).

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #835 of 2,884
  Hello everyone, how hard are the HE 400S to drive? I currently use a JDS C5 amp to power my headphones (M-100), would I need to upgrade to something else to fully appreciate the HE 400S? 

I think you might. HE400S is as hard to drive as HD650. You could probably use it with JDS C5 at close to full volume but I doubt that will let you hear the full potential of the headphone.

Jul 24, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #836 of 2,884
I recently heard the K612 Pro and preferred its more-focused sound-stage (center image) and frequency response (especially the mids) to the K7XX. Though, the K7XX did sound a bit airier and clearer... and its earpads and headband were significantly more comfortable than the K612.

The HE-400S' sound-stage and frequency response is similar to the K612... but is a bit better in every way (bass extension, clarity, instrument placement, detail retrieval, etc.). Spring for HE-400S... I think you'll really like them.

Would you say this holds true regardless of amp? Your impressions have me interested in the 400s since I already have the 612pro which I have enjoyed. I'm ready to spring for my first planar.

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #840 of 2,884
From HifiMAN's announcement:

No s**t HifiMAN... Yes, it requires an amp.

Also apparently the stock cable is silver+copper hybrid. Better to keep in mind for any possible cable upgrade.

Source: http://hometheaterreview.com/hifiman-introduces-299-he400s-planar-headphones/

Also I started to enjoy EDM with these a lot... Sub-bass performance is very good. Deep House sounds great.

I actually listen to the same. I own the x2, but they say its similar to 400s. I do want a can which has better subass performance and less mid bass hump which x2 have to compensate rolloff. Do the 400s perform better on the subass or sould i go for 400i which
looks like to have better subass.
Btw i never listened to planars... :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back