NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jul 14, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #691 of 2,884
I can see why Tyll like these. Super smooth treble, slightly warm and somewhat laid-back sound... Perfect audiophile sound signature. I would have preferred bit more liveliness for EDM and such, but most other genres should be fine. These are kind of dark, so if you prefer bright headphones, you should probably look elsewhere.

I'm not an expert on resolution but HE400S seem to have really high resolution. High res files sound significantly better than redbook. The difference is smaller with Fidelio X2, for instance.

Eagles - Hotel California album 192/24 is pure sonic bliss with these.

How would you compare the two (X2/HE400S) from a comfort standpoint? I like to hear feedback from several different people on comfort comparisons, since everyone's head is different.

Both are very comfortable in my opinion. I can wear both for hours. I have an average sized head. You can see a part of it in my avatar pic.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #692 of 2,884

How would you compare the two (X2/HE400S) from a comfort standpoint? I like to hear feedback from several different people on comfort comparisons, since everyone's head is different.

They are both about equally comfortable as you can bend the metal headband on both to get the amount of clamp you want. The X2's metal seems more moldable than the HE400s, but the HE400s has an adjustable headband vs the X2's elastic non moving one.

The X2's had a little bit too much clamp brand new but it is very easy to flex and bend them until they are perfect for you.
The X2's also will fit a larger (in height) head as there is way more room inside the metal frame. Like it will fit a giant head lol.
The X2's have more comfortable pads. The HE400s pads are also comfortable but the X2's is definitely a notch higher in quality of the fabric and the foam inside.

I personally like the HE400s more because they perfect for me out of the box and it is exactly the right size for my head and I prefer the static head band with size adjustment to the elastic one found on the X2, but I think it's important to note that when I wear any kind of hat I have to use the max size, and without a hat I use the 2nd to max size. I would say my head is definitely larger than average but it is not huge.
Also I think the HE400s is lighter (plastic vs metal). But I don't really notice the weight of the X2's either.

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #693 of 2,884
Drum kicks sound better on HE400S compared to X2. There's more impact and it feels more realistic.

Also Latin music sounds great on HE400S. Lots of drums. I'm listening to Limbo by Daddy Yankee right now.

Side note, I tried HE400S today with a friend's Cowon Plenue P1. It sounded great, as good as it does on iDSD Micro. Decent DAPs should have no problem driving these. iPhone 6 and Sony Xperia Z3 couldn't drive it well though.

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #694 of 2,884

Have you had your 400s long enough too do a full comparison between your X2 and former HD650?  :)

Not yet. But I'm getting more impressed with HE400S the more I listen to it and adjust to its more balanced sound signature. I think I will keep these as my affordable planar headphones. They continue to impress me more and more.

Jul 14, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #698 of 2,884
  I can see why Tyll like these. Super smooth treble, slightly warm and somewhat laid-back sound... Perfect audiophile sound signature. I would have preferred bit more liveliness for EDM and such, but most other genres should be fine. These are kind of dark, so if you prefer bright headphones, you should probably look elsewhere.

I'm not an expert on resolution but HE400S seem to have really high resolution. High res files sound significantly better than redbook. The difference is smaller with Fidelio X2, for instance.

Eagles - Hotel California album 192/24 is pure sonic bliss with these.

Both are very comfortable in my opinion. I can wear both for hours. I have an average sized head. You can see a part of it in my avatar pic.
bigsmile_face.gif

Agree strongly with the bolded statements.  

Jul 14, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #699 of 2,884
I've gone through a few headphones with comparisons so far, HE-560, AKG K545, and V-Moda M-100 (as well as some light listening with the 400i).  They made me quickly realize how much focus on the upper-spectrum of the bass the 400S has.  It's turned into somewhat of a weakness of these.  Yes, it's well controlled, but texturing just isn't strong enough for my tastes.  The bass is thicker overall.  The warmth, like with a lot of warm headphones, does take a little away from the detailing and clarity in the midrange I'd like to have.  Though, on the other hand, the warm is welcome in many simple segments.  I'm enjoying the treble quite a bit.  It's detailed, clear, and soft in texture.  The headphone is easy to listen to and definitely won't fatigue for hours.  

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #701 of 2,884
Short Version:
Need help picking amp and cans. Budget $500. Would I be happy with the HE-400S and an amp that can boost bass, or will I need the older 400?

Preferred sound signature: boosted mid bass but not quite to bass head levels, slightly recessed mids, detailed highs with some sparkle but rolled off for non-fatiguing sound. I have a small pointy head.

-----

Hello all,

I'm currently deciding what headphones and amp to get. This is my first foray into the mid-fi level, and you guys are killing me. HE-400! No 400S! 400? 400S?

I'd been considering the HD650, then the HE-400, and HE-400S, and Fidelio X2. Total budget is $500. I had pretty much decided on the HE-400 with Focus pads, and the Fiio E17K a couple months ago.

I've read everything here and have been hoping for break-in miracles on the 400S that just didn't come for HE-400 like bass, but maybe it's ok (?).

My preferred sound signature is more or less as follows:
Bass:
Emphasized bass, but I wouldn't label myself a bass head. Maybe a near-bass-head, possibly. I like a modest boost to mostly the mid-bass, and appreciate some presence below say 40Hz, but having significant quantity there is not critical. I don't do EDM. A nice bump from around 40-150Hz is good. Above all though, I need control and accuracy. Sloppy, loose, or cloudy bass will get that crap turned off. However, I'm probably comparing myself to John Q. Public and not to the audiophile community.

Mids:
I prefer slightly recessed mids, but not lost entirely. I suspect the HE-400 without the focus pads would be a problem for me. But with? Still not sure.

Highs:
I have not noticed that I am that sensitive to sibilance, and I like a little sparkle to enhance perception of detail and clarity, but prefer a non-fatiguing sound, so rolling off the highs a bit is good. I do not like Klipsch horns for that matter. I'm older than I care to admit, so I probably don't have much faculty above 14 KHz anyway. Though I can hear the neighbor's "ultrasonic" (cough) animal control device, just not nearly as well as my teenage son.

Fit/Comfort:
I have a fairly strong neck, and an extra small and sort of cone shaped head. Yes, I am an original conehead, LOL. Ok, it's not that bad, but I worry about the comfort of the HE-400 on a small pointy head.

So I have a slight emotional preference for the newer, more comfortable, better balanced, lighter, better cabled 400S, but not if I'm going to miss the bass signature of the 400.

I don't mind adding some bass emphasis via EQ if the amp supports that, and it sounds good. So which one?

I don't really want to have to order both and send one back, but if I had to, where would be the best place to do that with? (And why?)

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #702 of 2,884
  Hi guys,
I've been considering buying the HE400s.

Can you tell me how it'd compare to the DT880/600ohm that I already own?

Also, can anyone do a short he400s vs oppo pm3?

Thanks.

Oppo PM3 is on my list of comparisons to come.  As of right now, no comment as I haven't A-Bed them.  They are similar in signature though.  

EDIT:  I had a chance to actually do this comparison.  I'll give my full thoughts when everything is done in one large post, however.  I will give you the gist of the PM3 vs 400S. I see the PM3 as an energetic, brighter 400S.  Or conversely, the 400S is a little bassier and smoother in comparison.  That's the general signature differences I hear.  You'll have to wait for the more detailed description though.  In terms of preference, I actually prefer the Oppo, it's closer to neutral (and for those that know me, I tend to enjoy vanilla sound).  

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #703 of 2,884
Oppo PM3 is on my list of comparisons to come.  As of right now, no comment as I haven't A-Bed them.  They are similar in signature though.  

EDIT:  I had a chance to actually do this comparison.  I'll give my full thoughts when everything is done in one large post, however.  I will give you the gist of the PM3 vs 400S. I see the PM3 as an energetic, brighter 400S.  Or conversely, the 400S is a little bassier and smoother in comparison.  That's the general signature differences I hear.  You'll have to wait for the more detailed description though.  In terms of preference, I actually prefer the Oppo, it's closer to neutral (and for those that know me, I tend to enjoy vanilla sound).  

Could I get a gist of the 560 Comparison pretty pretty please? :)

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #704 of 2,884
Could I get a gist of the 560 Comparison pretty pretty please?
smily_headphones1.gif

I second this, I always hear of the 560 being much lighter sounding, and would like to know where the HE-400S sits in regards to the 400i/560.
Is it more like one or the other? Right in between them in terms of tone and soundstage? Specific areas the HE-400S are similar/different to the 560 in general?

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #705 of 2,884
Stock pad are velour, i just didn't like the sound and changed to the Focus pad i had (to be fair i didn't give them a lot of listening time so, don't take this as a fact).

Do you think focus pads change the sound and in what way? I might buy them if they make the sound even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back