NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jul 8, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #436 of 2,884

Comfort is a priority for me so that's good news and wouldn't mind adding a cheap, open planar to my collection. Should at least give more soundstage than my PM-3s.

Speaking of cheap, open planars, anyone know how comfy (or not) the new Fostex mk3s are?

The soundstage of the PM3 aren't particularly impressive. I'd be pretty confident that the 400S are at the very least as large as the PM3 in terms of soundstage. Honestly probably more open than the PM3.

All speculation though...

Jul 8, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #437 of 2,884

The soundstage of the PM3 aren't particularly impressive. I'd be pretty confident that the 400S are at the very least as large as the PM3 in terms of soundstage. Honestly probably more open than the PM3.

All speculation though...

The PM-3s were my first planars. Almost perfect all-around cans. Soundstage improves with a good balanced cable though. Usually switch to the Z7 or HD598 for a wider sound but they can't match the PM-3's accuracy and placement.

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #438 of 2,884
My pair is "out for delivery" as well... I'm so excited! 
L3000.gif
 I like a balanced and engaging sound with some extra bass. I really like Fidelio X2 for instance but I wish it had HD650 mids. I don't like cold, analytical, bright headphones. Let's see if these will deliver. 

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #440 of 2,884
Extra bass is something that you'll be missing then.

That would be disappointing, yes, but if these have other merits (i.e. smooth treble, engaging and lively sound, superb mids etc.), I may still keep them. Otherwise, back to Fidelio X2 for me. 
smile.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #441 of 2,884
For those on the fence, consider...

For the 400, reportedly, the Focal pads ($40) available from Hifiman significantly smooth the treble spike in the 5-10K range and improve comfort as well. Also, they present the drivers to the ears at an angle that may lift the mids slightly as well.

For the 400S, keep in mind that bass is something that can improve with break-in. Also, cute doesn't think bass is lacking compared to other Hifimans, although he's not a bass head.

Still waiting on my end... still hoping the 400S will satisfy the near bass head in me, or I guess I'll do the 400 with Focal pads.

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #442 of 2,884
Guys what you think will HifiMan update HE-560 in near future?

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #443 of 2,884
By no means are these phones bass light. They are a very good sounding set of cans IMO. Very fun to listen to. I think for a $300 planar hifiman did the best they could do without changing parts and thus increasing the price. The added sub bass/ mid bass hump they now have gives them a full- bodied sound that very enjoyable to listen to. These phones are not as easy to drive as hifiman has stated though.

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #444 of 2,884
At 350g, the same weight as my HE-4, can anyone confirm if the ear cups are metal or plastic.  My thinking is that they are metal same as the HE-4, with plastic gimbals.  The automotive finish on the cups, and cooler to the touch than the plastic gimbals, imo gives them away as metal, but I can't find any info to verify that.  I can't imagine that they aren't using their previous design from their other headphones in tis series.

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #445 of 2,884
Burned these in overnight. Nothing dramatic to report. As I'm getting my mind around the signature there is something that stands out to me that I wasn't hearing last night. There is a dip somewhere in the upper mids, that gives them a darker presentation. They sound an awful lot like the 400i. But it's been a good while since I heard that headphone. 

Last night I said that you might call these a planar version of the hd600. Today I'd revise that slightly and substitute hd650 for hd600. Anyway, they are back on the cooker for another few days. 

Again, if it sounds like I'm being critical it's because I am :)  I have hi expectations for hifiman...and for all new products tbh. There is no reason to lower expectations at this stage of the game. That being said, these are very good headphones at very reasonable price. Here are a few things that I'm struggling with regarding hifiman in particular:

1. There are too many he400 series models. Yet none of them delivered the goods. An improved he400 would have been insanely popular IMO.

2. The he400i was supposed to be tuned as a replacement for the he500. But the he500 was appreciable better across the spectrum. IMO

3. The he4 was very close to being special, but has fallen into obscurity. Shame. Just a change from V shape to U shape would have been amazing. 

4. The he-6 needs a successor. It's jaw dropping on a good amp. If it were retooled to be more efficient and more comfortable, people would flock to it in droves. 

5. The he-1000 is sublime and after spending several weeks with it my opinion of it just grows fonder. My only quibble is the price. The pricing puts it into the hands of a very select and finite group. I'm hoping for some trickle down tech on the middle tier hifiman products. 

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #447 of 2,884
  At 350g, the same weight as my HE-4, can anyone confirm if the ear cups are metal or plastic.  My thinking is that they are metal same as the HE-4, with plastic gimbals.  The automotive finish on the cups, and cooler to the touch than the plastic gimbals, imo gives them away as metal, but I can't find any info to verify that.  I can't imagine that they aren't using their previous design from their other headphones in tis series.

It's a plastic material. You can tell when you take off one of the ear pads and look at the cross section. 

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #448 of 2,884

What would you recommend?  I saw you mention the iFi iDSD Micro in an earlier post but I think it's outside my budget.

Will the E10K that was mentioned still be viable?

If you can afford the idsd micro, get it. It's in a completely different class than all fiio amps I've tried. I would step down to the Nano if necessary or just want and save for the micro. 

The dac in the micro is worth the price of admission without even considering the very decent amp stage. 

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #449 of 2,884

What would you recommend?  I saw you mention the iFi iDSD Micro in an earlier post but I think it's outside my budget.

To be honest, I play it safe when it comes to amps and only buy popular products with good reviews so I don't know many other gear.  I think iDSD Micro provides amazing value, perhaps you could find it at a lower price in the sale/trade forum. I have Meridian Explorer2, I think it can drive HE400S but I doubt it could provide the low end and dynamics that iDSD Micro can. Maybe Odac+O2 amp combo? That sounds clinical to me but it's good for its price. Many other people like affordable Schiit producs (magni + modi) but I don't like their sound signature either. iDSD Micro sounds very natural and analog which is what I like. There's also the iDSD Nano which is less expensive, but it's not as powerful as iDSD Micro.

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #450 of 2,884
  Burned these in overnight. Nothing dramatic to report. As I'm getting my mind around the signature there is something that stands out to me that I wasn't hearing last night. There is a dip somewhere in the upper mids, that gives them a darker presentation. They sound an awful lot like the 400i. But it's been a good while since I heard that headphone. 

Last night I said that you might call these a planar version of the hd600. Today I'd revise that slightly and substitute hd650 for hd600. Anyway, they are back on the cooker for another few days. 

Again, if it sounds like I'm being critical it's because I am :)  I have hi expectations for hifiman...and for all new products tbh. There is no reason to lower expectations at this stage of the game. That being said, these are very good headphones at very reasonable price. Here are a few things that I'm struggling with regarding hifiman in particular:

1. There are too many he400 series models. Yet none of them delivered the goods. An improved he400 would have been insanely popular IMO.

2. The he400i was supposed to be tuned as a replacement for the he500. But the he500 was appreciable better across the spectrum. IMO

3. The he4 was very close to being special, but has fallen into obscurity. Shame. Just a change from V shape to U shape would have been amazing. 

4. The he-6 needs a successor. It's jaw dropping on a good amp. If it were retooled to be more efficient and more comfortable, people would flock to it in droves. 

5. The he-1000 is sublime and after spending several weeks with it my opinion of it just grows fonder. My only quibble is the price. The pricing puts it into the hands of a very select and finite group. I'm hoping for some trickle down tech on the middle tier hifiman products. 

"As I'm getting my mind around the signature there is something that stands out to me that I wasn't hearing last night. There is a dip somewhere in the upper mids, that gives them a darker presentation"

Can you give some examples of this statement?  I'm trying to get my head wrapped around it.  To me the 400i was a darker headphone.  The 400S mids imo are much better, and the layering/pinpoint instrument placing puts the vocal centered and the rest of the mids spread around it to form an excellent soundstage.  Maybe just my setup!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back