NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Dec 21, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #2,656 of 2,884
1) theres a cloth sticking to stock grill.
2) Schiit Fulla2
3) my opinion- upgrade your cable and use FocusA pad.

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #2,657 of 2,884
1) theres a cloth sticking to stock grill.
2) Schiit Fulla2
3) my opinion- upgrade your cable and use FocusA pad.

1. I know others have changed the cloth into something more transparent, but many have said it further improves if the grill was changed to something with wider holes.  Would like to understand why.

2. Any suggestions for DAC+amp with portable battery? The Fulla 2 seems suited for laptop portable use but not with phones while on the move.

3. What's wrong with the stock cable?  

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #2,658 of 2,884
1. I know others have changed the cloth into something more transparent, but many have said it further improves if the grill was changed to something with wider holes.  Would like to understand why.

2. Any suggestions for DAC+amp with portable battery? The Fulla 2 seems suited for laptop portable use but not with phones while on the move.

1) just the wider grill without cloth but depend on your enviroment.
2) just carry a portable USB bank if your phone cannot support.
3) HE400S is consider warmish, i change to pure silver 8 core have have good result.
4) save yourself from your $200 budget. Fulla2 its $99, channel it to upgrade your cable.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #2,659 of 2,884
Any recommendation for portable DAC+amp to pair with these and under 200 USD?  I don't want to spend more than the headphones, and these will most likely be my best headphone for the time being (I need to balance my budget across all my other hobbies...LOL).  Considering the Fiio Q1 and audioquest dragonfly (anyone tested the red vs black?).  Will most likely be using these with my android phone and tablet as my PC has the dedicated DAC+amp already, but if it helps I don't mind plugging it into my PC as well.  I also don't have much spare room on my desk, so a bigger desktop DAC+amp stack will likely not work for now.

I have the Dragonfly Red. It's great with iOS, Windows, and Mac, but it is significantly limited when using with Android. You have to use one specific app in order for the volume to work correctly.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #2,660 of 2,884

1.  The change to a more open grill helps with the sound stage a little but it was intended more for the older HE-400i and HE-560 that have the back plates, with the newer HE-400i and HE-400S the grill mod does not help as much IMO but easiest way to find out is take of the original grill completely and see if you like the change? If its better to you do a grill mod with a more open mesh,  If you need some protection from dust then silk organza works well.

2.  Can't help you much here since the only portable gear I have are Fiio DAPs X3ii, X3 and X1, they will drive most headphones to a decent level but can sound a little better with better gear.

3.  Nothing wrong with stock cable unless its defective, or the length does not suit your use or the termination (1/8, 1/4, XLR) is not right for your situation.  I'm in the headphone cables don't make a difference camp and its a touchy subject with others.

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #2,661 of 2,884
Right now both the HE400s and HE400i are $250 on Amazon...I've read the entire thread and I'm having a tough time deciding between the two. I don't own any open back HPs so this will be a first. I will say that I do love my RHA MA750 iems. They are great for vocals, and have a warm, bassy tone with smooth highs. I really don't like piercing highs as my ears fatigue easily.

For sources I have an Ibasso DX90 and a recording audio interface (Audient ID14) which actually sounds great with my monitors. From the specs it appears to have a decent headphone amp.

From everything I've read it seems that I will probably enjoy the HE400s more with Focus A pads. Another part of me is thinking that 400i may be the better long term choice since it could scale if I get a headphone amp down the road. I listen to a lot of indie rock, folk, and some electronic and rap. I would probably rank vocals and drums as my favorite instruments to hear more prominently and accurately.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #2,662 of 2,884
Right now both the HE400s and HE400i are $250 on Amazon...I've read the entire thread and I'm having a tough time deciding between the two. I don't own any open back HPs so this will be a first. I will say that I do love my RHA MA750 iems. They are great for vocals, and have a warm, bassy tone with smooth highs. I really don't like piercing highs as my ears fatigue easily.

For sources I have an Ibasso DX90 and a recording audio interface (Audient ID14) which actually sounds great with my monitors. From the specs it appears to have a decent headphone amp.

From everything I've read it seems that I will probably enjoy the HE400s more with Focus A pads. Another part of me is thinking that 400i may be the better long term choice since it could scale if I get a headphone amp down the road. I listen to a lot of indie rock, folk, and some electronic and rap. I would probably rank vocals and drums as my favorite instruments to hear more prominently and accurately.

I appreciate any suggestions!
the he400i are actually $500 but on sale for 250. They are more comfortable and have a better sound.also the he400s are plastic and the he400i are metal.

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #2,663 of 2,884
I have the 400s and have tried the 400i that a friend owned (and I'm actually getting the 400i from Amazon at the moment)

IIRC, the 400i is an upgrade to the 400s. They sounded more refined. Only downside is the 400i is harder to drive, need an amp to make them really sing

But with the same price @ $250, I'd say its a no brainer, get the 400i and worry about an amp later.

EDIT:
Velour pads that came with the 400s sucks big time
You're gonna need to throw away another $40 for the Focus Pads (or Focus Pads A - or the brainwavz hm5 angled pads)
So that's another $40 to add to the price of purchase. At this point 400i IS the better option :)

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #2,664 of 2,884
I haven't listened to the 400i, but on the HFM taobao store they were running a 50% off promo on the 400i earlier that made them even slightly cheaper than the 400s.  But I still got the 400s:

- I don't have an amp now and wasn't sure if I'll get one, the 400s are much easier to drive (even works on my smartphone) than the 400i.  I mainly use it with my PC that does have a separate DAC+amp module but I presume it's not as good as a dedicated desktop headphone amp
- Many here have commented that the 400i are more analytical but less sound stage and less bass than 400s.  I would prefer the 400s based on that description.
- I went to demo the 400s, loved the sound, but the shop didn't have any 400i left (it's an older model) so I wasn't able to try it

There's a comparison on wirecutter, they gave the nod to the 400s in the end but they do say the reviewers had split opinions.  Most have said 400i and 400s are different, but neither is necessarily better, so it really depends on your preference.  Try to demo both of them before buying, or just buy both and return the one you don't like.

If you do get the 400i, make sure it's the new version that uses the new 2.5mm plugs like the 400s.

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #2,665 of 2,884
Is the 400S in the hall fame still in innerfedelity?:nerd:

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #2,667 of 2,884
yes, but its only relevant if you have the same preferences as Tyll

Knocking off HD600 and HD650 is good enough for me:grin:

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #2,670 of 2,884
He kept HD600/650 on the wall though...knocked off the Philips X2 instead haha

Right now the X2 is knocking off my S400 with newly setup:monkey_face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back