NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Oct 24, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #1,726 of 2,884

I'm curious as to whether anyone has tried those thick lambs leather pads from mrspeakers with these?

I know there is, I just forgot his/her username but you can try back reading starting from pages 60 or 70 I think.

EDIT:
Sorry I just found the impression you are looking for. It is on the page 80 by NetForce. The page I gave you was really way to far. Ha! :D.

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #1,728 of 2,884
  And less technically capable, less wide in soundstage, less open, but smoother in tone. 

Will they ever make an he400 without the treble peak. I sorely want one 
frown.gif

The Sorbothane mod seems to taking care of this upper region spike finally in the 400 thread.

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #1,730 of 2,884

And less technically capable, less wide in soundstage, less open, but smoother in tone. 

Will they ever make an he400 without the treble peak. I sorely want one :frowning2:

The Sorbothane mod seems to taking care of this upper region spike finally in the 400 thread.

Yes! Great... Ill have a look

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #1,731 of 2,884
It was between the HE500  and the HE400S but decided on the 400S because of price. I sort of knew the nitpicks before i purchased these but wanted to mention some stuff. My major complaint would be that the material quality is terrible. People aren't kidding when they say that. They are not going to fall apart or anything so buyers should not be scared to purchase. They just feel 'chintzy'. Mainly the plastic but  also the ear pads are some of the worst velour I've touched. The pads are on par with a Samson SR850 stock pads (IMO). For what ever reason the cable that comes with the HE400S is really nice. One of the few times i haven't upgraded a cable.  

Please buy pads! I grabbed a pair of alpha dog pads from my T50RP's  (its the angled, lamb skin ones) . The pads that come with the he400s are glued on to this plastic circular rail/mount; I just ripped the pads right off, and placed  the plastic circle in my Alpha Dog Pads. I also took off the grills, and just removed the glued on filter. It peeled right off. I will play with different materials for the grill but for now these stock ones will do.

The sound is amazing for the money. Totally in league with all the big midfi guys. Until now nothing has beat my DT880 (600oms) and these still don't.  However the HE400S are every bit as good. Just a different sound signature. Defiantly a slightly warmer sound. Great  bass, great mids, and good highs. Overall very comfortable. I got mine new for $255 and I feel that sound wise they are a great value.  

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #1,732 of 2,884
I am totally satisfied with my 400s after having removed the covers and purchased the focus pads. I feel I can hear clear distinction for the better direction with the changes. They were good headphones before, now they are even better.

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #1,733 of 2,884
I received my 400S yesterday and am doing a few chores before giving them a listen later today............. Coming from el-cheapo model Koss and Sennheiser HP I am expecting a WOW moment when I try these HP!

Heartsmart: when referring to 'removing the covers' are you taking the OEM grills off completely w/o a new mod grill to replace them?

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #1,734 of 2,884

I received my 400S yesterday and am doing a few chores before giving them a listen later today............. Coming from el-cheapo model Koss and Sennheiser HP I am expecting a WOW moment when I try these HP!

Heartsmart: when referring to 'removing the covers' are you taking the OEM grills off completely w/o a new mod grill to replace them?

I have removed them entirely. Easy to make and restore if you want to go back. Just be careful with the small plastic pins on the ring that holds them in place.

Oct 25, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #1,736 of 2,884
if I remember correctly, they sounded thin in the beginning before they were burned in. I removed the grills after I had them for several weeks. Maybe you should do the same. Use them as they are first.

The pinns are possitoned 1:30, 4:30, 7:30, 10:30 arond the clock.

Oct 25, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #1,737 of 2,884

the sorbothane mod. rightly applied transform the he 400 in a TOTL headphone with a true detailed soundstage...NO defect  to my ears... upgraditis resorbing...
atsmile.gif

I predict in some year to come all headphone cie. will use sorbothane and no other damping product...

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #1,738 of 2,884
if I remember correctly, they sounded thin in the beginning before they were burned in. I removed the grills after I had them for several weeks. Maybe you should do the same. Use them as they are first.

The pinns are possitoned 1:30, 4:30, 7:30, 10:30 arond the clock.

Couldn't agree more, they sounded really thin when I first tried it on the time I took them out of the box. But now after a month and the grill mod, I can definitely say that they sounded more open and detailed. Especially after the Grill mod the instruments have now better separation, the music has become more airy and the sound stage definitely increased a little.

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,740 of 2,884
OK..............right out of the box these are pretty nice sounding HP. If reports are true that they are initially thin and get better, that's great!

Any opinions on using the HIFIMAN HE series travel case for general storage?

I looked at a bag from Good Cans and they are about $20. The HIFIMAN travel case is $29. I'd think I could find a small plastic container for less if I'm just looking for a place to just store while not in use.............or a Pelican case for $40 +/-.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back