New $1,500 Ultrasone Edition 9s
Oct 6, 2006 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

SK138

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/05/u...ou-back-1-500/

Who is going to be the first to review this new wonder?
eggosmile.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 78
I didn't know headphones put out EM radiation like mobiles. Is there a site out there that can put out the EM radiations for all the headphones (Beyerdynamic too) but I don't know what Ultrasone is comparing the 98% less from so that's still in the air.

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 78
Regardless of if they sound like $1500, if they reduce sound pressure on the ear drum, then as far as I am concerned they are worth their price. It find it hard to justify that something which sounds good is worth our money, but something designed to sound good and protect our hearing is not.

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 78
I have only one word, National Meet folks.

That word is "Pain."

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #12 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio

That word is "Pain."

Heh! That was my old pair. Mine were sold to Nik on behalf of another unnamed Head-Fi member who was new at the time (also an Italian) and apparently thought it would be better if Nik negotiated on his behalf (since Nik and I had done some transactions prior to that). I always thought this mystery person might have been Rudi, and sure enough, there at the national meet was my old pair of Edition 7's! I had them recabled by Larry at Headphile, so there was no mistaking them. That, and they are a numbered, limited edition.

Unfortunately, I didn't have chance to give them a listen that day, but really enjoyed getting the chance to meet Rudi, whose work I have a lot of respect for. The Egmont Signature amp, which I bought form Nik way back when, is still one of my favorite peices of audio gear.

As for the Edition 7's, well, an extended break-in period helped quite a bit, and the cable replacement that I had done helped even more. By the time I sold them, their sound signature really was starting to grow on me and I had mixed feelings about letting them go. They had become my favorite cans for certain types of music, such as some of the punchy roadhouse blues I listen to.

Yet, unless Ultrasone has made some fundamental changes in their design work (relative to the Edition 7's), then I wouldn't expect the Edition 9's to win me over instantly. From the looks of them, it would seem that they have kept the same small chamber size that the Edition 7's had. Sadly, that was one of the fundamental problems I had with the Edition 7's; they hugged my ears tightly and it seemed as though they needed much more 'air space' to allow the soundstage to really open up. There was this odd sort of reverb thing going on that never did fully settle down (although break-in and the cable replacement helped considerably).

I'd have to hear the Editon 9's to know for sure, but color me cautious at this point in terms of their claim of "the world's best headphones"... seems like I've heard that before, and the lesson I learned certainly wasn't a cheap one.

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #13 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio

That word is "Pain."

Man, I hate to think of the "pain" he went through to birth these babies!
blink.gif
Althought the amazing part is the frequency range of 8Hz to 35Hz! That is something!

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #14 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
Man, I hate to think of the "pain" he went through to birth these babies!
blink.gif
Althought the amazing part is the frequency range of 8Hz to 35Hz! That is something!

7-44khz in the house.

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #15 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck
Regardless of if they sound like $1500, if they reduce sound pressure on the ear drum, then as far as I am concerned they are worth their price. It find it hard to justify that something which sounds good is worth our money, but something designed to sound good and protect our hearing is not.

There's a cheapie way of reducing SPL to the ear drum. It's been around a while. You turn the volume knob to the left. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back