New $1,500 Ultrasone Edition 9s
Oct 8, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #31 of 78
I know Ultrasone is pretty much hated around here, but after my experience with the 750, I'm actually interested in slapping down 1.5k for a pair of these. I'm just waiting for a professional review
smily_headphones1.gif

I was hoping that their new ultra high end can would be modeled after the PROline series though
frown.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #32 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Heh! That was my old pair. Mine were sold to Nik on behalf of another unnamed Head-Fi member who was new at the time (also an Italian) and apparently thought it would be better if Nik negotiated on his behalf (since Nik and I had done some transactions prior to that). I always thought this mystery person might have been Rudi, and sure enough, there at the national meet was my old pair of Edition 7's! I had them recabled by Larry at Headphile, so there was no mistaking them. That, and they are a numbered, limited edition.

Unfortunately, I didn't have chance to give them a listen that day, but really enjoyed getting the chance to meet Rudi, whose work I have a lot of respect for. The Egmont Signature amp, which I bought form Nik way back when, is still one of my favorite peices of audio gear.

As for the Edition 7's, well, an extended break-in period helped quite a bit, and the cable replacement that I had done helped even more. By the time I sold them, their sound signature really was starting to grow on me and I had mixed feelings about letting them go. They had become my favorite cans for certain types of music, such as some of the punchy roadhouse blues I listen to.

Yet, unless Ultrasone has made some fundamental changes in their design work (relative to the Edition 7's), then I wouldn't expect the Edition 9's to win me over instantly. From the looks of them, it would seem that they have kept the same small chamber size that the Edition 7's had. Sadly, that was one of the fundamental problems I had with the Edition 7's; they hugged my ears tightly and it seemed as though they needed much more 'air space' to allow the soundstage to really open up. There was this odd sort of reverb thing going on that never did fully settle down (although break-in and the cable replacement helped considerably).

I'd have to hear the Editon 9's to know for sure, but color me cautious at this point in terms of their claim of "the world's best headphones"... seems like I've heard that before, and the lesson I learned certainly wasn't a cheap one.

Wayne, the Edition 9, as per the guys in Ultrasone, is basically the same as the Edition 7, but at a more attractive price, and some cosmetic and material changes as a different box, aluminum instead of wood, and a different color, but it still shares the rest, as the same drivers and chambers of the old brother, so it will have basically the same sound...
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #33 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Apparently they're selling like hotcakes in Japan.

Do they sell hotcakes in Japan? And what exactly is a hotcake?

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #34 of 78
30 ohm impedance sucks - amp matching will be critical.

Does anyone know if the "S-Logic™ technology delivering the listener an amazing natural surround sound effect" is all about?

Is there a channel cross-fed circuit in the wiring circuit to achieve a surround sound effect?

If so, tone edges will be blurred and imaging will suffer.

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #35 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli

Those things that sell real good.

Oct 8, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #36 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
30 ohm impedance sucks - amp matching will be critical.

Does anyone know if the "S-Logic™ technology delivering the listener an amazing natural surround sound effect" is all about?

Is there a channel cross-fed circuit in the wiring circuit to achieve a surround sound effect?

If so, tone edges will be blurred and imaging will suffer.

The S-Logic is actually the driver set to the lower back corner of your ear. Essentially, it doesn't play directly INTO your ear canal, and your brain is fooled into thinking that the sound is coming from around you because you're hearing sound that is affected by your outer ear skin geometry.

At least, that's how it's supposed to work. Frankly, I think it must depend on your individual ear geometry because it didn't work for jack on my head.

Oct 8, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #37 of 78
Amazing...they look like $100-150 headphones!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
plainface.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #38 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Oh snap. Guess we the world's best headphone in the bathroom
biggrin.gif
(Joke from National Meet. hahaha)

They sound like crap?
evil_smiley.gif

I'm sure they'll sound pretty good, but those look extremely plasticy for $1500 of headphone. More high end headphones on the market is allways a good thing though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #39 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli

It's a type of pan-fried batter, usually served as a breakfast dish. Also known as a pancake. Goes well with maple syrup and a knob of butter.

Try one some time, they're nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells

It's a "de-aiming" of the drivers so that the sound waves put less pressure on one's eardrums. I like the idea of it, but it remains to be seen whether the cost one pays in sound quality will negate the listening comfort advantages.

Oct 8, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #40 of 78
Quote:

The S-Logic is actually the driver set to the lower back corner of your ear. Essentially, it doesn't play directly INTO your ear canal, and your brain is fooled into thinking that the sound is coming from around you because you're hearing sound that is affected by your outer ear skin geometry.

At least, that's how it's supposed to work. Frankly, I think it must depend on your individual ear geometry because it didn't work for jack on my head.

Well basically, but not exactly, and as we have stated many times before, Ultrasone headphones need a lot of time to get used to them because of the unique natural presentation, they decentered the drivers as you stated, but also they calculate a lot of things inside and outside the cup. Just FYI they use mainly the same driver in a few headphones, and all of them sound different, what indicates, that not only the placement is important (as some of them share the same baffle as well) but also the cup design, and pads size are crucial in the design, and to create what they call a "near-field point" in the cup, that is calculated as well. That point offer the optimal presentation for the majority of the persons, the same way an speaker does, nobody takes into consideration the ear shape to design speakers, right? When the sound comes from that point you perceived the sound as if it you were listening speakers.

There is still no bleeding from one channel to the other though, and that is the main flaw, IMO, if the recording has an strong channel separation, but if it was done with some bleeding and many recordings today are done, the effect is very nice, and you get a nice natural soundstage....but to get used to it, require time, a lot of time...Just listen the CD that comes with the headphones, that was selected from very good recordings, done in the past and not remastered for them, and you will hear them in the glory...

That was discussed in another thread as well, and honestly to go and get an Ultrasone headphone, and listen to it to try form an opinion is not possible, if you are not familiar with them...just my two cents

Oct 10, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #42 of 78
Let me address a few questions and concerns here.

First the Ultrasone headband has changed within the last year or so and is now made out of a better material that is much more durable than the old material. This is a much more flexible plastic that resists breaking. So this headband is pretty freakin tough to break. It pretty much won't break with casual use.

Second the S-logic system actaully works by sitting the drivers in front of your ears so that the sound fires at your outer ear instead of directly down the ear canal. Since this the way we actaully hear, the sound is better defined, clearer and less fatiguing to your ears. Mercuttio, I think you may have had your headphones on backward if the drivers were firing at the back of your ears.

Third........I've heard the Edition 9
eggosmile.gif

Just so you guys know, my name is Evan and I'm the resident engineer with Ultrasone USA. I've met a few of you guys at the Head-Fi meet back in April. We got the first one in a few weeks ago and I"ve spent some time listening to it at home. And from first impressions it sounds great. Its very smooth and easy to listen too while not loosing detail. I overcomes the sometimes harshness of the PROline 750 and has really nice, tight bass extension.

Now, I know manufacturers reviews don't usually go over well here so that's all I'm going to post unless you guys want me to do an in depth review. BTW, I was listening to the new Rudistor RPX-33 which a really nice headphone amp and compliments the edition 9 very well.

But that's all I'm going to say about it, you guys can feel free to ask me any questions you want about the Ultrasones and I'll do my best to give you and honest un-biased opinion about what I know.

And the 35Hz thing is a typo. Should be 35kHz of course.

Oct 10, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #43 of 78
Hey Evan,

Glad to see another Ultrasone guy in here....I'm Jon from Soundwerks Audio, the Canadian distributor
wink.gif

Actually...I've got nothing more to add than whats already been said here. You need to spend somee time with any pair of Ultrasone headphones...theyre quite different from other brands, and it takes some getting used to.

Oct 11, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #44 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by themick
It overcomes the sometimes harshness of the PROline 750 and has really nice, tight bass extension.

Now you got me drooling
smily_headphones1.gif
The slightly harsh presentation of the 750 is the only thing (besides comfort) that I would change about them. Can't wait to see a review on these!

BTW, I'll be getting those earpads from you shortly
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back