Neutral Sounding Headphone/Amp Combo for under $800
Jan 4, 2011 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

gridlock

Head-Fier
Hi All,

First post and a headphone newbie here.  I've bought a lot of hi-end audio equipment over the years, but never a set of phones.  I'm looking for a neutral (free from boosted bass/treble) sounding headphone/amp combo for use mainly with music, and some TV.  I listen to a variety of music, including singer/songwriter, folk, rock, classical, acoustic, and jazz.  I am willing to spend about $800 or so (maybe a bit more) for the combination.  The amp will be fed from the line-out from a Tact RCS 2.2XP preamp (it doesn't have a tape-out) or possibly a digital out if the headphone amp has a D/A converter.

I've done a bunch of research, but is quite daunting and I don't have anywhere nearby to audition them.  I don't know a lot about the different amps around and what are good headphone/amp combinations so thought I'd solicit opinions here.  I definitely prefer a more neutral sound free from artificial bass spikes or elevated treble, which I find very fatiguing.  I also would like a nice soundstage, and maybe and a mid-level presentation (not too forward or distant).  I think I'd prefer around-the ear over on-the-ear phones, but am open to open or closed back.  I am open to all the usual headphone suspects including Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica, Grado, Beyer, etc.

I would appreciate any feedback on headphone/amp combos that might qualify for the price point.

Thanks much in advance!

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 18
the audio-gd NFB-10 comes in at your exact price point
for 200 more, you could look into the new burson ha 160D

edit: oh boy, i somehow misread
so disregard ^
I gave you suggestions for dac/amp combos

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 18
Thanks; I'm looking to spend up to around $800 for BOTH the headphones AND the amp.  I did check out Audio-GD's website (I never heard of them), and they do have the NFB-12 listed for $200.  I search for information on this unit, but could not find anything.  Is Audio-GD a good company?  I do like that they use all discrete components which seems amazing given the price.  I also wonder if it will work well with some of the more demanding headphones like he Sennheiser HD650 or AKG-701/702.

Quote:

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 18
The K702 sounds like an excellent set of cans for your genre tastes.  I use mine with a Nuforce HDP ($450), and it makes for a nice combination.  Since you don't need a DAC, you might be able to find a beefier dedicated amp for around the same price, but the HDP does a fine job if you were interested in the extra functionality. 

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
Thanks; I'm looking to spend up to around $800 for BOTH the headphones AND the amp.  I did check out Audio-GD's website (I never heard of them), and they do have the NFB-12 listed for $200.  I search for information on this unit, but could not find anything.  Is Audio-GD a good company?  I do like that they use all discrete components which seems amazing given the price.  I also wonder if it will work well with some of the more demanding headphones like he Sennheiser HD650 or AKG-701/702.

Quote:

Audio-GD products are actually very popular around here on head-fi.
If you can fit in an nfb-10 with a pair of k702 or hd650 within your budget it is an excellent setup. NFB-10 has a balanced DAC and a balanced headphone amp which could make the setup even better if you got your headphones modded for balanced setup as an upgrade later on.

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 18
I'm pretty sure the HD600 is a lot more neutral sounding.. The HD650 is suppose to be the darker cousin to the 600, with much more emphasis on bass.

FWIW, the NFB-12 is great bargain at its current promo price. It's hard to give a thorough opinion on it since no one's gotten theirs yet, but judging by the chips used, it should be be quite neutral a good amount of driving force. Judging by the performance of the Sparrow/FUN (essentially the same dac/amp), it should drive the HD600 just fine, but I don't know about the AKG's.

If you plan on balancing your headphones, or just want some customization with your dac/amp, then go with the NFB-10WM or the FUN (respectively).
If you're looking for just an amp (instead of these combos), then I'd highly recommend you look at the Schiit Asgard (funny name, but a seriously good amp for its price-tag).

Jan 5, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the HD600 is a lot more neutral sounding.. The HD650 is suppose to be the darker cousin to the 600, with much more emphasis on bass.

Er, you wouldn't be commenting on headphones you haven't actually heard, would you?

Nah, it probably just reads that way... 
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
The K702 sounds like an excellent set of cans for your genre tastes.  I use mine with a Nuforce HDP ($450), and it makes for a nice combination.  Since you don't need a DAC, you might be able to find a beefier dedicated amp for around the same price, but the HDP does a fine job if you were interested in the extra functionality. 

The 701/702 is certainly on my possibility list.  The only thing I'm concerned about it is whether is bass is too lean.  I don't want accentuated head-banging bass, but do want it to be neutral and deep.  As far as a DAC, I have the choice of running an analog line-out from the preamp, or digital out from either the preamp or directly to the source component.  If I run digital out, I'll obviously need a headphone amp with a DAC.  In either case, I'll need a fairly long run (about 15 feet) from the system to my seat, so think the digital might be better for the long run, but not sure how much of a difference it will make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.X /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Audio-GD products are actually very popular around here on head-fi.
If you can fit in an nfb-10 with a pair of k702 or hd650 within your budget it is an excellent setup. NFB-10 has a balanced DAC and a balanced headphone amp which could make the setup even better if you got your headphones modded for balanced setup as an upgrade later on.

I'm not really interested on modding the headphones, so don't think I need that capability from the headphone amp.  Any feedback on the Audio-GD Fun?  I like that it has both line and digital inputs which can add some flexibility.

Quote:

FWIW, the NFB-12 is great bargain at its current promo price. It's hard to give a thorough opinion on it since no one's gotten theirs yet, but judging by the chips used, it should be be quite neutral a good amount of driving force. Judging by the performance of the Sparrow/FUN (essentially the same dac/amp), it should drive the HD600 just fine, but I don't know about the AKG's.

If you plan on balancing your headphones, or just want some customization with your dac/amp, then go with the NFB-10WM or the FUN (respectively).
If you're looking for just an amp (instead of these combos), then I'd highly recommend you look at the Schiit Asgard (funny name, but a seriously good amp for its price-tag).

Thanks, the HD600 is also on my list.  Have you heard the the HD600 vs the K701/702?  My impression from what I've read is that the HD600 might be a bit darker than the K701/702, but which unit is more neutral?

Jan 5, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #12 of 18
Hmm yet another thread about neutral cans where no one mentions a neutral can...
If you really want a neutral can, take a look at DT48 or K240DF.
More info can be find by reading though this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/528607/neutral-sounding-cans

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
pp312 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
Er, you wouldn't be commenting on headphones you haven't actually heard, would you?

Nah, it probably just reads that way... 
wink.gif

Actually, I am; I've heard a couple Sennheiser phones, but I haven't tested out the 650 [yet]. I've read so many HD600 vs HD650 threads, that I just echo what other owners already say. I think it's common knowledge that the 650 is darker than the 600, but both still retain Sennheiser's signature sound. (As reflected in Adda's link)

Quote:

Thanks, the HD600 is also on my list.  Have you heard the the HD600 vs the K701/702?  My impression from what I've read is that the HD600 might be a bit darker than the K701/702, but which unit is more neutral?

I haven't heard any AKGs to speak of, so you're going to have to use the search function to answer that. From the threads that I skimmed through, the K70x is said to be more "neutral," but lacks in bass and they're harder to drive. Mind you, the differences in sound aren't as big as what you might imagine, so I think your best option would be to listen to them yourself at a local store if you can.

Here's a review thread with 20 different phones described and reviewed that might help. Keep in mind that this is all subjective, but I hope it helps some.

Jan 5, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
Here's a review thread with 20 different phones described and reviewed that might help. Keep in mind that this is all subjective, but I hope it helps some.

Thanks for the link.  It still is confusing due to all the differing opinions, but am learning a lot!  I'm going to try to find a place somewhere within 100 miles that has some headphones to try so I can get some about the differences between some of the models.

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #15 of 18

I've owned both, and did find the HD600 to be slightly darker.  It was also a bit warmer, with a bit more bass impact.  The 702's match the HD600's in extension, if not extending slightly lower, but they don't have quite the same weight.  That said, the K702's were noticeably faster on my setup, and lacked the grain of the HD600's.  The K702's were certainly clearer/crisper across their entire frequency range, but some have likened their clarity to "plasticity."  They're both great cans, the HD600's are just a bit mellower overall, so it really boils down to what your personal preference for tonality would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back