Neutral Sounding Cans
Dec 16, 2010 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

eggontoast

Head-Fier
In need some suggestions for some new cans. I currently have some Grado RS2i’s and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80’s.

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with my Grado’s……sometimes they a musical bliss other days I put them on and the sound like tinny ear piercing pieces of crap. The Beyers I generally just use when I need a dose of bass head bashing.

What I want in a more neutral pair of cans. My current short list was Denon AH-D5000 or Sennheiser HD650 any other suggestions would be helpful Audio Technica, Ultrasone etc.

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 34
I have HD-600 and HD-650, and I can tell you the 600s are much more neutral of a can.  The 650s have a lot more bass impact. 

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 34
The problem of what constitutes neutral is one with which this forum is vexed, since the recordings we listen to and by which we judge our gear are not neutrally mastered (at best they are limited by mic technology)  and since most people like the idea of neutral - without imparting artificial emphases - but like the reality less, preferring all sorts of artificial emphases, from emphatic treble that gives a feeling of enhanced detail, to bloated sound-stages or instrument placement that seems more pin sharp than reality. So it may be that what you want is not what you think you want when you ask for neutrality. However, there are plenty of headphones with gross colourations and you could start by avoiding them. Love your Grado and Beyer but as you've surmised they're a bit emphatic in imparting their own character.

That said, relating to your list many would say that the HD600 is more neutral in presentation than the HD650. There are many options, it depends on your budget and practical needs of course... 

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 34
Like zlobby said, the HD600 would probably be a better choice than the HD650 if you're going for a neutral set.  That said, if you're looking for a mellower can in general, the HD650s might fit the bill a bit better.  As far as non-Edition Ultrasones go, most tend to have a U-shaped frequency response, which might make them a bit too similar to your Grados.  Speaking from personal experience, you'll probably find the D5000s to be a bit more analytical and bass heavy than the HD600s, while the Sennheisers will excel at delivering a smooth, pleasant, but a bit grainier presentation.  YMMV of course, but that tends to be the consensus on those two cans as well, so you might factor that into your decision.  Technically speaking, the AKG K702s are fairly neutral as well, but some find them a bit grating in the high frequencies, I don't, but again, YMMV.

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 34
My budget was up to £500 ish and I didn't really have any other contraints whether open or closed back etc. From reading other posts on the AKG I got the impression that they were bass light and biased towards the high frequency range is this not correct ? Another can that I am interested in was the Stax 2050II setup but I have been unable to find many posts on these on head-fi, does anyone have experience with these ?

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #6 of 34
And what are you amplifying the headphones with?

I've heard those 2050II only briefly, and they're lovely sounding things, in the ballpark of neutral, but with strengths and weaknesses that others would be much better placed to describe than me. There's a huge Stax thread that you might jump into...

By the way I don't think the bass of those Denons is neutral, it's really distinctive and quite nice, but not neutral.

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #7 of 34

Quote:
 Technically speaking, the AKG K702s are fairly neutral as well, but some find them a bit grating in the high frequencies, I don't, but again, YMMV.

Neutral, at least consider AKG's as well then, or DT880's
Sennheisers HD650 is not what most people would call 'neutral'

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 34

Quote:
And what are you amplifying the headphones with?

Just been through a number of amplifiers and after returning to my trusty old integrated with a built in headphone output (dropper resistors off main power stage). I come to the conclusion I was wasting my money as there was hardly if any improvement, just my opinion.

It looks as though I should also consider the AKG's as well from the posts. What about Audio Technica there is no mention of them ?

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #10 of 34
Audio Technica cans tend to be very colored so they aren't an option for you :D

I'm a K701 neutral kind of person. If you want a truly neutral can, equalize them! There was a great guide posted here some time ago.

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #11 of 34

Quote:
Audio Technica cans tend to be very colored so they aren't an option for you :D

I'm a K701 neutral kind of person. If you want a truly neutral can, equalize them! There was a great guide posted here some time ago.

I did start to read through that post but I use a Sonos as a music source so Equalizing is a problem and not a route I was going to go down really.

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #12 of 34
None of the cans mentioned so far are truely neutral, they all impose certain sound characaristics. If you really want a neutral can, take a look at DT48 or K240DF.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #13 of 34

X2 ... though the dt48 is too rolled off in both the high and low frequencies to be totally enjoyable for listening for pleasure. It a great tool in the studio though. The DF is not nearly as rolled off....especially in the high end.
Quote:
None of the cans mentioned so far are truely neutral, they all impose certain sound characaristics. If you really want a neutral can, take a look at DT48 or K240DF.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #14 of 34

Quote:
X2 ... though the dt48 is too rolled off in both the high and low frequencies to be totally enjoyable for listening for pleasure. It a great tool in the studio though. The DF is not nearly as rolled off....especially in the high end.
Quote:

I'm not familiar with the K240DF are they old out of production models ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back