Neumann NDH 30
Mar 8, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #932 of 5,008
Supertramp "Crime of the Century" 192kHz on Tidal can sound sibilant/grainy on almost everything, because of the limits of the recording technology from that day and the high ambition from the band. The NDH-30 does a good job of toning that down so that the record can be enjoyed without highlighting those blemishes.

Yes, NDH-30 do not need any particular EQ, it's sounds very good as is. However, EQ is usable I can make even the DT990 Pro 250 sound very good using EQ. The easiest is when using my digital mixer which has hardware DSP-based PEQ, just bring down the peak and it's a very enjoyable headphone. But of course it's more usable to not have to rely on hardware DSP.
That is good to hear, maybe it’s differences in driver characteristics and maybe it’s toned done some. Yeah I always found the DT 990 respond nicely to EQ or modding.

Some measurements show a small peak at 4kHz but it isn't really audible with a sine sweep, or it is very slightly. I feel that this area is unfatiguing even where the HD-650 shows some fatigue.

That’s good to hear, so seems to be better in that regions. That’s the area I’m most sensitive to. The only time I found the HD 650 tolerable was on certain tube amps as it just did something to the sound which made it less aggravating and more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #933 of 5,008
895DF4EF-11A7-44B4-A7AC-B36C69DE7800.jpeg

Mar 9, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #934 of 5,008
I had very high hopes for this headphone, since I am also convinced that perceived sound does not necessarily increase with a products price tag.

They certainly have a sound similar to studio monitors and therefore might be great mixing tools. The bass also reaches really deep for a dynamic headphone, and sounds more textured than the hd6xx series.

But I have to say, that I am neither impressed with the soundstage, nor with the imaging. Worst of all, these drivers seem to really struggle in busy music passages and therefore really remind me of cheap headphones. Entry level hifimans destroy these headphones with complex music, even the hd6xx series does a better job in my regard.

Anyways, I don’t want to bash this headphone and still believe it can be a very helpful tool for professionals, but seriously the driver technicalities (or however you want to call it) really disappointed me. I think it is important to share my negative experience, since this headphone is really hyped up and lacks important critical impressions.

For reference I directly compared these to hd580, lcd2.1, lcdx and elite.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #935 of 5,008
I had very high hopes for this headphone, since I am also convinced that perceived sound does not necessarily increase with a products price tag.

They certainly have a sound similar to studio monitors and therefore might be great mixing tools. The bass also reaches really deep for a dynamic headphone, and sounds more textured than the hd6xx series.

But I have to say, that I am neither impressed with the soundstage, nor with the imaging. Worst of all, these drivers seem to really struggle in busy music passages and therefore really remind me of cheap headphones. Entry level hifimans destroy these headphones with complex music, even the hd6xx series does a better job in my regard.

Anyways, I don’t want to bash this headphone and still believe it can be a very helpful tool for professionals, but seriously the driver technicalities (or however you want to call it) really disappointed me. I think it is important to share my negative experience, since this headphone is really hyped up and lacks important critical impressions.

You should immediately throw your DAC and amplifier in the trash and stop writing nonsense)))
But if there is a problem in hearing, then nothing will help)))

Mar 9, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #936 of 5,008

Associated equipment and test tracks? Thanks.

Mar 9, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #938 of 5,008
I wore them the correct way. Not just cable on the right but also front back positioning of your ears matters a lot.

Equipment that was tried: Questyle CMA12 Master, Jotunheim 2, JDS Atom, Kardas Toneboard and Arcam rDac.
Overall a mix between clean measuring gear, slightly warm (Master12) and punchy (jotunheim2) ones.

The Neumann only has 10hrs of burn in, but I am not a huge believer. Still want to mention it.

Test tracks were a mix of all genres and production qualities.

I am 30yrs old and would argue to not have more hearing damage than the average user here.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #939 of 5,008

I have no idea what my reaction would be to these. However, given the rhapsodic cult like fervency in favor of these cans by some here - posting your thoughts proves you are making your own judgements and are not being swept up in the wave. Keep it up, and ignore the criticism of members who seem to need adherence to their feelings to remain calm.

Mar 9, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #941 of 5,008
I was actually pretty interest in these, but after reading some of the posts here...nope I'm outta here
I'm for whatever works. I really didn't like my first exposure to Audeze: LCD-2 fazor and then LCD-3 (both no EQ). If I ended there, I would have missed probably one of my five favorite cans at any price (OG LCD-4) and two more I respect: X-2021, MM-500.

Mar 9, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #942 of 5,008
I'm for whatever works. I really didn't like my first exposure to Audeze: LCD-2 fazor and then LCD-3 (both no EQ). If I ended there, I would have missed probably one of my five favorite cans at any price (OG LCD-4) and two more I respect: X-2021, MM-500.
Actually I forgot to mention that I also compared it to my HE500.

I think we have a similar taste. I own and like the HD580, HE500, LCD4, D8000og (sold because of comfort reasons) and Elite the most, my X2021 has great technicalities but I don’t like it’s fr too much.
The thing with the LCD2s is, that they vary so much. I heard and owned horrible Fazor Models that sounded really compressed, lackluster 2.1 and 2.2 models, but the one I own at the moment for some reason sounds awesome to me.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #943 of 5,008

Thank you for your impressions. I like to see all sorts of impressions on a headphone both good and bad. Im big on technicalities of the driver, so
Interesting to hear an impression that goes against the mold about them. I’ve been let down by some headphones with overly positive reviews so learned to listen first before making any judgments. Though always try to listen at length if possible.

Mar 9, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #944 of 5,008
I don't find that they struggle with complex passages, sound stays pretty calm at all times imo only tested on SMSL SH-6 fed by SMSL D-6 using Tidal HiFi

Mar 9, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #945 of 5,008
I don't find that they struggle with complex passages, sound stays pretty calm at all times imo only tested on SMSL SH-6 fed by SMSL D-6 using Tidal HiFi
That’s completely fine. Maybe I am spoiled by some of my other gear. Maybe I am more into planars, or maybe the angled drivers don’t work that well for my anatomy.

Hope there will be more impressions on these, so interested users will have more (divers) information of the Neunanns available.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back