Neumann NDH 30
Mar 9, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #946 of 5,008
That’s completely fine. Maybe I am spoiled by some of my other gear. Maybe I am more into planars, or maybe the angled drivers don’t work that well for my anatomy.

Hope there will be more impressions on these, so interested users will have more (divers) information of the Neunanns available.
It’s only good that you share your honest impressions. No headphone can or will work for everyone.
I’m not implying any fault in your judgment with this, but I did wonder if they might be so honest and revealing in a way that you are not used to hearing that it comes across to you that the headphones are struggling with busy passages? Too much information?
Your impression and opinion is of course valid, but I have to say that there’s nothing about the sound of the NDH 30 that reminds me of cheap headphones. I agree with you though that they do sound like studio monitors, but cheap headphones and studio monitors - well there’s little to compare there. But that’s obviously just the way you hear them. Fair enough.

Mar 9, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #948 of 5,008

That has been debunked, it is not the same driver, NDH-20 shares driver with 560S/400 Pro. NDH-30 has a different (single layer) diaphragm as opposed to the dual layer of the other ones. Seems more similar to 660S2 which also uses a single layer diaphragm.

Mar 9, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #949 of 5,008
That has been debunked, it is not the same driver, NDH-20 shares driver with 560S/400 Pro. NDH-30 has a different (single layer) diaphragm as opposed to the dual layer of the other ones. Seems more similar to 660S2 which also uses a single layer diaphragm.
Thats what Sennheiser themselves said rather recently that the NDH-30 uses a HD 560 S driver with extremely strict tolerances. Weird there is conflicting information on that. Also the NDH-20 came out over a year before the HD 560 S and the HD 560 S was the first headphone with the new driver.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #950 of 5,008
Actually I forgot to mention that I also compared it to my HE500.

I think we have a similar taste. I own and like the HD580, HE500, LCD4, D8000og (sold because of comfort reasons) and Elite the most, my X2021 has great technicalities but I don’t like it’s fr too much.
The thing with the LCD2s is, that they vary so much. I heard and owned horrible Fazor Models that sounded really compressed, lackluster 2.1 and 2.2 models, but the one I own at the moment for some reason sounds awesome to me.
Yup, we have similar tastes. HE-500, LCD-4, D8000 - all on my top 10 list. I have heard the newer LCD-2's can be really nice. Must hear these 30's.

I've encountered many rave pieces over time: Bose 901, Walsh Ohm F's, and quite a few more that turned out to be badly over rated, or hot garbage.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #951 of 5,008
Thats what Sennheiser themselves said rather recently that the NDH-30 uses a HD 560 S driver with extremely strict tolerances. Weird there is conflicting information on that. Also the NDH-20 came out over a year before the HD 560 S and the HD 560 S was the first headphone with the new driver.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/new-neumann-ndh30-coming.33643/post-1349823

38mm driver unit
Original driver Sys 38
Manufactured in Ireland
Polymer blend diaphragm
Diaphragm structure
One diaphragm provides both stiffness and partial resonance damping
Improved low-frequency linearity
Very low distortion values coupled with basic design

Also, NDH-20 has more than triple the amount of distortion compared to NDH-30, should be some serious differences

ndh.jpg

https://news-mynavi-jp.translate.go...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #952 of 5,008
I had very high hopes for this headphone, since I am also convinced that perceived sound does not necessarily increase with a products price tag.

They certainly have a sound similar to studio monitors and therefore might be great mixing tools. The bass also reaches really deep for a dynamic headphone, and sounds more textured than the hd6xx series.

But I have to say, that I am neither impressed with the soundstage, nor with the imaging. Worst of all, these drivers seem to really struggle in busy music passages and therefore really remind me of cheap headphones. Entry level hifimans destroy these headphones with complex music, even the hd6xx series does a better job in my regard.

Anyways, I don’t want to bash this headphone and still believe it can be a very helpful tool for professionals, but seriously the driver technicalities (or however you want to call it) really disappointed me. I think it is important to share my negative experience, since this headphone is really hyped up and lacks important critical impressions.

For reference I directly compared these to hd580, lcd2.1, lcdx and elite.
Your findings are certainly appreciated but also are very puzzling. This description is certainly in conflict with what almost everyone here is listening. Like most others I have approached these headphones with suspicion and ready to acknowledge some hype preceding. Instead, I came across the most important headphone under $1000 of the last many years, because of its extremely high quality sound, far above my two HD-650 in everything. For my ears, one of its most impressive attributes is its ability to reproduce difficult, loud and dense passages very effortlessly, with great transparency, separation and dynamics. During such passages it also retains hall reverberation and instrumental/vocal timbre. Very expensive and sofisticated sound. Since you do have experience of that kind of sound/headphones, I can only conclude that you received a unit with a serious problem.

Mar 9, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #953 of 5,008
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/new-neumann-ndh30-coming.33643/post-1349823

38mm driver unit
Original driver Sys 38
Manufactured in Ireland
Polymer blend diaphragm
Diaphragm structure
One diaphragm provides both stiffness and partial resonance damping
Improved low-frequency linearity
Very low distortion values coupled with basic design

Also, NDH-20 has more than triple the amount of distortion compared to NDH-30, should be some serious differences
Both the NDH-20 and NDH-30 are Sys 38. The Sys 38 came out with the HD 555/595 and has various different tweaks. Also note the NDH-30 shares impedance with the HD 560 S and the NDH-20 does not so not quite the same if they use the same diaphragm. Honestly just added confusion as the damping and venting (damping cap and no vent holes on the rear paper on the NDH-30) is obviously different between the NDH-30 and HD 560 S. Same voice coil likely (whereas the NDH-20 uses a different one). The confusion this statement from Sennheiser caused is about the diaphragm.

There seems to be some confusion going on with information. I mean in the past I recall them saying HD 700 and HD 660 S drivers were said to be different than heard it was the same recently.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #954 of 5,008
Both the NDH-20 and NDH-30 are Sys 38. The Sys 38 came out with the HD 555/595 and has various different tweaks. Also note the NDH-30 shares impedance with the HD 560 S and the NDH-20 does not so not quite the same if they use the same diaphragm. Honestly just added confusion as the damping and venting (damping cap and no vent holes on the rear paper on the NDH-30) is obviously different between the NDH-30 and HD 560 S. Same voice coil likely (whereas the NDH-20 uses a different one). The confusion this statement from Sennheiser caused is about the diaphragm.

I just wanted to point out that sound wise there is little comparison with HD560S. It's not a cheap NDH-30. In the thread I linked above there is a user having both and he says they sound utterly different.

Mar 9, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #955 of 5,008
You are all so tolerant and polite here - I am learning from all of you to be correct)))
But if in the case - just one headphone for everyone - a single sound standard for work and listening - otherwise, there is no point in headphones.

And as I wrote earlier - only 32bit DACs from Sound Devices gives these headphones what makes them the best of the best!
I understand that headphones should sound good with any normal equipment - but this does not apply to the NDH 30, unfortunately or fortunately)
My colleagues and I tested them with different equipment, very expensive professional equipment, nothing came close to 32 DACs from Sound Devices - it's true.

So if you're expecting a high-end sonic revelation from the NDH 30, but you don't have a real, very high-quality 32bit DAC with the same level amplifier, don't buy these headphones and don't be disappointed.

Just read carefully and you will not be disappointed and wasted money)

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #956 of 5,008
You are all so tolerant and polite here - I am learning from all of you to be correct)))
But if in the case - just one headphone for everyone - a single sound standard for work and listening - otherwise, there is no point in headphones.

And as I wrote earlier - only 32 DACs from Sound Devices gives these headphones what makes them the best of the best!
I understand that headphones should sound good with any normal equipment - but this does not apply to the NDH 30, unfortunately or fortunately)
My colleagues and I tested them with different equipment, very expensive professional equipment, nothing came close to 32 DACs from Sound Devices - it's true.

So if you're expecting a high-end sonic revelation from the NDH 30, but you don't have a real, very high-quality 32 DAC with the same amplifier, don't buy these headphones and don't be disappointed.

Just read carefully and you will not be disappointed and wasted money)

Moving the target, very clever, I believe I was right when I said this is a social experiment earlier in the thread LoL

Nevermind, these do sound good with MY equipment ....

edit. btw I run a 32-bit DAC too

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #957 of 5,008
I just wanted to point out that sound wise there is little comparison with HD560S. It's not a cheap NDH-30. In the thread I linked above there is a user having both and he says they sound utterly different.
Yeah damping changes and the housing can play major roles on that. But there is a good chance the membrane material is different too as Neumann information indicates that. I actually found the HD 400 Pro and HD 560 S slightly different like the HD 400 Pro had better tolerances on its drivers or something. I feel the Sennheiser Pro and Sennheiser Consumer split has caused some confusion

Mar 9, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #958 of 5,008
Moving the target, very clever, I believe I was right when I said this is a social experiment** earlier in the thread LoL

Nevermind, these do sound good with MY equipment ....
6DB4E0A1-8D54-49F0-AE2B-B1120FDE6AD3.jpeg
[ Another Brick In The Wall; Pink Floyd ]

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #959 of 5,008
I favor listening for yourself and voting with your wallet. I am thinking of getting rid of Clear OG and 650 because I have not been listening to them for the last few weeks and they both seem a bit redundant at this time. We will see.

Mar 9, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #960 of 5,008
I'm for whatever works. I really didn't like my first exposure to Audeze: LCD-2 fazor and then LCD-3 (both no EQ). If I ended there, I would have missed probably one of my five favorite cans at any price (OG LCD-4) and two more I respect: X-2021, MM-500.

I just got my LCD-X just over a month ago and I did not love my first exposure either. But they quickly became pretty amazing to me not that long after. I don't think they are total end game, if that exists, but definitely staying in the collection for quite some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back