Neumann NDH 20
Jun 4, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #376 of 830
Thanks guys, im trying to decide between these and another pair of headphones. Hard to decide lol

Jun 4, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #377 of 830
Is anyone having fitment issues with their headphone? like is the headband uncomfortable after hours of music(sore spots?)
also are the ear pads and ear cups deep enough (large enough) to accommodate larger ears?
do you guys wear glasses while using them? do they still seal with glasses on and feel comfortable(not pushing glasses arms against head too firmly) ?

I'm not having any fit or comfort issues with the NDH20, even for relatively long sessions. It's certainly not HD800-comfortable, but it's comfortable for me. When it comes to comfort and fit, the responses will be all over the map, as head shape/size, glasses, hair (or no hair), etc. have more variability than our audio preferences.

I do wear glasses, but admittedly choose my glasses with headphones in mind, since I'm wearing headphones so frequently. These are the temples and temple tips of my eyeglasses:

Hopefully it'll fit you well.

Jun 4, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #378 of 830
my glasses are carbon fiber frames. its sharp a bit on the edges which prevents me from trying certain pads if they're too plush i dont wanna cut them.

https://www.toniandguy-opticians.com/images/129401-129500/129454/129454_thumb.jpg

these are what im rocking. im able to listen to DT1990 pros no problem and my H6(gen2) B&Os.

I need to see if any local shops in my area have them for demo, gotta try these now!!

Jun 4, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #379 of 830
In the distance there is a sunset........the flames of orange and purple and pink light are burning the sky while the round orange ball of sun is descending into the Pacific Ocean, until it disappears.
So, you see all this happening, and think...."that is beautiful"..."BEAUTY">... "beautiful".
And why? Because until this is all PERCEIVED as BEAUTY, then its just light, in colors.
But once PERCEIVED< then this becomes a "beautiful sunset".

Talking about Nad Viso's on the Neumann Thread is also unrelated to the Thread.

Yeah, righto mate!! :joy:

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #381 of 830
Out of curiosity I will definitely audition these when I get a chance. Gotta see if the latest hype train is real or just Zeos and Fullbright talking these up.
I really like the midrange openness and transparency, and the overall balance. Bass is also very open, clear and solid. Highs are just right.

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #382 of 830
Out of curiosity I will definitely audition these when I get a chance. Gotta see if the latest hype train is real or just Zeos and Fullbright talking these up.

@oldmate,

Just my humble 2 cents,

Definitely not a hype train...

Hope you enjoy them !

Hope you have a great day !

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #383 of 830
There are a few things you can count on in life.
One, is that you are born , so this means you are going to die.
Death is the end result of birth, for everyone who is currently breathing.

Two, Not everyone is going to agree with you, and what i do is try to understand why they would not agree with me. Usually its because they are not experienced enough to agree with me, yet.
Maybe they'll catch up. Anything is possible.
For example, most reviews of the Neumann disagree with what is being posted today, which is........ etched treble, too much bass, scooped mids.
But for some reason, One poster is running with this idea and a few have picked it up and are carrying it now.
But if you look at the history of this Thread, and go and read 15 online reviews of the gear, noone else thinks these headphones have missing mids, etched treble, and too much bass.
So, its just one of those things........ One person has this idea, and others are running behind in line for a while.
It'll end soon.

Three, Not everyone is going to like you. Some people just will never like you, and that is just how it will always be.
Where this can be a real thorn in the eye is if you have some of these types on a forum like this one, and all they do is contradict what you say..........not because they care about the topic, but just because they have an issue with you, and so, they are always wanting to argue and dismiss and be sarcastic.
And with these types, you have to be careful, because if you hurt their little feelings, they will run crying to a mod and you'll have some issues then, because the Mod will never take the time to read a few of the posts to find out what is really going on, and you'll be blamed for everything, when in fact you just got tired of dealing with hateful little minds, post after post after post.

Hi @FullBright1,

As always, well said !

Keep up the good work !

Hopefully one day your PMs will get reinstated...be good to have actual conversations then...

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #385 of 830
I have a pair of beyer dt 1770s and after an upgrade, must be closed back .. assume these would be ideal?

Anyone know if these will be at Canjam in London, want to compare to the HD820 ...

Hi @modernarchitect,

Honestly depends on you whether you think it will be an upgrade & your own subjective preferences for sound.
As an acquaintance on headfi is fond of pointing out, given no one else has your head shape, ears shape or hearing so whether you like how the NDH 20 sounds really depends.
This is more a subjectively accurate professional based monitoring headphone than the 1170 with a more leaning towards balanced tuning with no real emphasis in the frequency range though as many have already said & as a NDH 20 owner, I can also attest, mid range is exceptional, especially where clarity is concerned.
So if you are into consumer bass response, then NDH 20 is definitely not for you, just my humble subjective opinion.

I have no idea whether the NDH 20 will be at Canjam London but @jude can confirm &/or check who will be exhibiting from the Canjam thread.

HD 820 is definitely a different level price wise but whether either is a fair comparison or contrast is hard to say as both headphones serve different markets & uses.
I am not the sort to compare gear against one another unless there is a technical reason to do so which is rare or if a particular gear fits in my collection.
Personally, I like both headphones for different reasons & uses though I currently only own NDH 20 & not the 820 due to budget reasons & current ridiculous exchange rate.
Not to mention 820 is the only Senn I actually like & would considering owning if funds allow but that all depends...

Hope this is useful.

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #386 of 830
@modernarchitect
as @PaganDL most elegant and excellent post says - it depends on what you like!

However I would add the following:

> The NDH 20 is a professional tool and as such is tuned that way. Its possible a 'regular HiFi' listener may not like or fully appreciate them for what they have to offer

> They remind me very much of the sound of studio monitor speakers - which [can] sound quite different to HiFi speakers BUT if you like the type of sound that Studio Monitors give then you will most likely LOVE the NDH20's
It has been said that they are almost identical in sound and practical usage as Neumann's Studio Monitors..which is quite an accomplishment for a closed back headphone! o_0

> Some people report they have too much bass?

a. Using my go to DAP - iBasso DX150 the low end is almost always noticeable - IF the bass is elevated on the recording itself then that will certainly be reflected in your listening experience - Not in a bad way...its just always noticeable...although maybe more so because the mids are so good??

b. Interesting though when listening through Ibasso DX90, a more neutral sounding DAP the sound balance sounds almost flat across all the frequencies - Any elevated bass completely disappears !!!
Which tells me the NDH 20's are very truthful and revealing of what you give them as oppose to being tuned to give a certain sound signature

> They still puzzle me slightly but I have had many hours of enjoyable listening with them. Its sometimes hard to take them off your head!

> if you ever wanted a studio monitor sound in a pair of headphones then these are sublime

:)

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #387 of 830
@modernarchitect
as @PaganDL most elegant and excellent post says - it depends on what you like!

@jon parker,

Well said & thanks for the senitment, it is appreciated...
I will add on & extend my elegant & excellent points as you put it.

> They remind me very much of the sound of studio monitor speakers - which [can] sound quite different to HiFi speakers BUT if you like the type of sound that Studio Monitors give then you will most likely LOVE the NDH20's
It has been said that they are almost identical in sound and practical usage as Neumann's Studio Monitors..which is quite an accomplishment for a closed back headphone! o_0

NDH 20 are definitely specifically designed to emulate studio monitors, Neumann have said this many times in their promos & literature.
I do find it amusing while subjectively I don't personally like how Neumann Monitors sound for various reasons (I prefer Genelec 8000s series, especially the 8010s personally), I really like the NDH 20 a lot & I potentially know why but rather not say why for other reasons.

The NDH 20 is a professional tool and as such is tuned that way. Its possible a 'regular HiFi' listener may not like or fully appreciate them for what they have to offer

NDH 20 is as the name states, it is a professional monitoring headphone so it will be as true sonically to the Mix &/or Master as possible though what one hears is always subjective & personal.

> Some people report they have too much bass?

Some may report too much bass for several reasons :
Primary case in point may be too much EQ in the lower frequencies as some think this is the way music should sound like, consumer bass vs pro bass.
&/or they may primarily listen to EDM or other bass heavy genre with already built in bass emphasised EQ.

a. Using my go to DAP - iBasso DX150 the low end is almost always noticeable - IF the bass is elevated on the recording itself then that will certainly be reflected in your listening experience - Not in a bad way...its just always noticeable...although maybe more so because the mids are so good??

b. Interesting though when listening through Ibasso DX90, a more neutral sounding DAP the sound balance sounds almost flat across all the frequencies - Any elevated bass completely disappears !!!
Which tells me the NDH 20's are very truthful and revealing of what you give them as oppose to being tuned to give a certain sound signature

I suggest if you haven't already, listening through a good desk based set up & not just DAPs, is a very different experience, especially with a good head amp, eg RNHP.

As a final note, I enjoyed the NDH 20 for 3 weeks straight myself as my primary listening headphone when I first got them before I reluctantly had to take a break from them to enjoy my other headphones.

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #388 of 830

Please do add more impressions. I find these headphones particularly intriguing

Have to agree - if Genelec released a headphone in the same vein I would be all over that :wink:

I do have a proper beastly desktop amp and will be spending time with it and them this weekend.

I haven't taken the NDH 20's into the studio yet...Im full on with editing at the mo :/
:D

They are certainly a headphone that I suspect and hope may well take on a cult status over time

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #389 of 830
Please do add more impressions. I find these headphones particularly intriguing

Have to agree - if Genelec released a headphone in the same vein I would be all over that :wink:

I do have a proper beastly desktop amp and will be spending time with it and them this weekend.

I haven't taken the NDH 20's into the studio yet...Im full on with editing at the mo :/
:D

They are certainly a headphone that I suspect and hope may well take on a cult status over time

@jon parker,

Regarding a Genelec headphone, my thoughts too, I'm sure someone in their R & D will consider one eventually, Genelec are known for taking their time & coming out with very good gear.
Especially once they get their SAM system more recognised worldwide, especially since they have the recent SAM Master Series they want to push out more.

Just curious, which desktop amp do you consider beastly ?
I am all for good head amps & always on the lookout for more...

As to studio use, I am definitely sure you will enjoy them for what they are intended.

Cult status ?
Maybe, depends on whether there are more real world users than the idiots & naysayers...

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #390 of 830
Well, beastly enough :) Im in the process of reviewing the new Burson Swing Amp - Ive finished the review of the base unit - Now I have the upgraded DAC chips
Its a stunning sounding amp: https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/swing/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back