Neumann NDH 20
Jun 1, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #316 of 830
Got these in today. Personally wouldn't call them flat or "neutral" (neutral doesn't exist IMO), but they are quite good for a closed back. As with most closed backs, they have an emphasis in the bass and treble, but with this headphone its not nearly as V shaped as others. On paper the bass extends very well, but upon listening the sub-bass sounds a bit messy and unresolving, and not very tight or dynamic. This is par for the course when it comes to closed back bass. However, there don't seem to be any major "bloated" area's in the bass and the response sounds like a decently steady downward slope into the mid range. Better than average for a high-end closed back, but not by much. My biggest issue with this headphone is the mid range. The mids are pretty dead and "sucked out" sounding. Vocals sound more distant and are less resolving and dynamic than they should be. Unfortunately I don't think EQ can fix this without making the lack of detail even more apparent. Where this headphone shines is in the treble. They have some of the most resolving and well-extended treble I've ever heard from a closed back. Cymbals sound crisp and surprisingly airy.

Overall this is a great closed back headphone, among the best I've heard. The cable and comfort leave a lot to be desired though. The cable is extremely microphonic as well. I think its a bit overpriced for $500 and still wouldn't recommend it unless you absolutely need a closed back. I did take some measurements with my EARS rig, but I am not very confident in them so I won't post them. This headphone seemed to be very sensitive to placement and pad seal, and even some very minor readjustments caused some massive changes in the measurements.
i disagree with vocals and I have to listen to something with a bit of a sub bass besides that, I agree and I love the mids imagery treble and soundstage is good, the best thing about these cans is they don't sound like a closed can headphone they don't have that "signature sound" or feeling to me.

Jun 1, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #317 of 830
After extensive research I came to these two for a good isolating, minimal leakage and top speed drivers.

• Ultrasone Signature Pro/Studio
  • NDH 20
If anyone has experience with both can please tell me which ones will fit my needs (amp power is no problem)

As you can see I don't care about frequency response that much because I always use EQ, I have a lot of headphones and speakers and none of them sound perfect out of the box, I shamelessly EQed them all :D .

This pursuit for a very fast good isolating closed cans came after my BGVP DM6 IEM caused me earaches and headaches when I listen to them for a prolonged period of time, 4-12 house straight. I travel a lot with my car with other people.

A good vented (to reduce the ear pressure) IEM that can rival the DM6 can be VERY expensive.

The speed and clarity of the DM6 are through the roof and I want a closed can to keep up with my busy tracks (like Deku palac: Theophany remix).

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #318 of 830
My biggest issue with this headphone is the mid range. The mids are pretty dead and "sucked out" sounding. Vocals sound more distant and are less resolving and dynamic than they should be.

upload_2019-6-1_8-18-43.jpeg

Jun 1, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #319 of 830
Got these in today. Personally wouldn't call them flat or "neutral" (neutral doesn't exist IMO), but they are quite good for a closed back. As with most closed backs, they have an emphasis in the bass and treble,

The Neumanns are not a V shape.
They are anything but a V shape.
They are in fact a "U" shape with an obvious emphasis on the midrange.

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #320 of 830
I hear a bit of a dry area in the upper mid at times, but the midrange itself is fully present and vocals sound like real voices, the tone and timbre is among the best I've heard. The slight dip in the upper mid actually enhances the main part of the mid. But I'm comparing to actual sounds of real voices and instruments et al, not comparing to another headphone, which would be a mistake.

P.S. using the Burson Fun amp.

Jun 1, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #321 of 830
A few more thoughts about this Headphone - Just my initial thoughts. You may or may not agree :)

Firstly:
You need to appreciate that this is a 'Professional' tool - It is not a HiFi headphone nor is it tuned to be 'fun' or to 'impress' it is tuned to be an accurate closed back headphone that is [rarely] a headphone that is suitable and good enough to mix accurately and to a lesser or greater degree to even master accurately - Something that is very rare for a headphone, never mind a closed back headphone !!

I think that perhaps those who have certain issues with the NDH20 are 'music lovers' where as those who are impressed and are enjoying the headphone are more in the realm of sound engineers / Audiophiles.
In general I would suggest that music lovers enjoy the music in and off itself where as Audiophiles [in general] are more interested in the details, timbre, accuracy of the instruments themselves 'within' the music. This means effectively that the way each person listens 'can' be quite different.

ALSO and maybe more importantly - source is everything. There is not much point in plugging these headphones into a phone and saying the sound is doing this is that. Although DAC chips are getting better no phone will ever integrate a powerful enough amp to give the power a good headphone needs. Plugging these Headphones into a well powered and well made amp will give the headphones the power and quality needed to allow them to give you everything they have to offer.
Listening to well mastered Hires audio / vinyl rips is also important [to be able to reveal all the NDH20 can offer] as a lot of so called 'modern' music if mastered far too hot, loosing all dynamics...or to put it another way...loosing everything that music actually IS :/

One thing I have noticed is that I think the NDH 20's sounds a LOT more like the EXPERIENCE of listening to music in a STUDIO though Studio monitors Rather than listening to a HiFi system. In this sense I find them to be superb. The way they resolve and give a 'true' representation of how instruments sound IN A RECORDING STUDIO is [for me] phenomenal
BUT they sound quite different to the legendary Reference Headphone, the Sennheiser HD 540 Reference 1 600ohm - This headphone excels at offering music as it sounds LIVE in a more natural open environment
BOTH headphones Im finding are excellent at offering a reference quality sound BUT the way they are offering the audio is quite different and I love them both for that

As far as the bass goes [in my experience] Dynamic drivers will often have some bloated warmth straight out of the box but after use/burn the low end will often clean up / become tighter. In this sense I am VERY excited to hear how they sound 100 hours down the line
(I dont want to debate this point - This is simply my own experience - Your experience may be different...which is fine) :)

There is a post rock band called 'Explosions in the Sky' - 3 guitars and drums. I have to say that with the NDH 20's have given a quality to the drums that I have never heard before. Its always a surprise and a delight when new headphones reveal things you haven't heard before!
The mids Im finding to be accurate - just lovely in fact and the highs are offering a perfect 'brass' like crash of cymbals. The transients in the highs are not quite as long as I would like but it like the rest of the headphone it seems nicely balanced over all

Anyhoo, over all [keeping in mind the tuning & purpose of the NDH20's] Im very impressed and happy with them. Ive yet to compare them to the only other closed back headphone that has impressed me the Sennheiser HD 250

I suspect that they are quite truthful in revealing what the music is actually saying [reference] which is why some people may be finding some tracks to be bass heavy or having recessed mids - its just that they are hearing what the track IS without being effected by the tuning of the headphone at all? I need a lot more listening but perhaps this is happening?

BTW This far Ive only listened through iBasso DX150 and iBasso DX90 - Ive yet to plug them into the desktop big boys - In this respect Ive found giving them a bit of extra power though 'high gain' tightens up the sound so as I mention above, they sound VERY GOOD out of anything BUT with dedicated power & DAC they sound GREAT

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #322 of 830
The Neumanns are not a V shape.
They are anything but a V shape.
They are in fact a "U" shape with an obvious emphasis on the midrange.
I did say they are less V shaped than most, so yes I would agree they are U shaped. However, being U shaped and having an "emphasis on the midrange" is a contradictory statement. U shaped means the mid range is recessed.

Jun 1, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #323 of 830
I did say they are less V shaped than most, so yes I would agree they are U shaped. However, being U shaped and having an "emphasis on the midrange" is a contradictory statement. U shaped means the mid range is recessed.

The Quads and the Neumanns were created with more mids in mind as compared to the typical prosumer headphone sound. Or as compared to the Signature Hifiman sound, or nearly everything that Audiotechnica has ever created or will ever create.
So, im responding to your "V" comment, by saying that .......... U-shaped cans produce a similar response to v-shaped, except > the mids aren’t quite as dramatically lowered.<
The mids are not as DRAMATICALLY lowered.
See that part?
Thats what im explaining.

Jun 1, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #325 of 830
I remember some Beyers with a J shape response.

Jun 2, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #327 of 830
The Quads and the Neumanns were created with more mids in mind as compared to the typical prosumer headphone sound. Or as compared to the Signature Hifiman sound, or nearly everything that Audiotechnica has ever created or will ever create.
So, im responding to your "V" comment, by saying that .......... U-shaped cans produce a similar response to v-shaped, except > the mids aren’t quite as dramatically lowered.<
The mids are not as DRAMATICALLY lowered.
See that part?
Thats what im explaining.

Why on earth are you shouting?

Jun 2, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #330 of 830
Why would Neumann create a headphone specifically for professional studio use, mixing [and mastering?] and tune it with recessed mids ?
I would suggest that people listen to the NDH20's on equipment also designed with the quality and power to ACCURATELY offer what the audio is - no more and no less
Then you can fully appreciate what Neumann has actually managed to create here :)

@ballard3 - It can be a little frustrating when people offer opinions on headphones solely based on graphs alone or if they have not actually heard the headphone in question or if perhaps they offer very quick opinions using their phone & a streaming service believing their opinions are 'accurate'

Everyone's opinion is valuable and should of course be respected BUT many many people come to these forums to try to find unbiased genuine feedback about headphones and based on what they read could potentially spend a lot of money based on what they read here.

We are a passionate bunch as well :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back