Nerdiest Audiophile Moments
May 31, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #33 of 66
Riding on the train a random couple of guys asked me what was attached to the back of my DAP.  After I informed them it was a portable amp, they wanted to know why I had it.  By the end of the explanation, half the car was listening in on my explanation.  And one guy said, it takes all times in this city.  I felt relegated to that special place where the Naked Cowboy and other NY oddities are.

May 31, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #36 of 66
By Friday I'll have the LCD2 I'm borrowing, the WA2 I'm borrowing, the HE500 on loan. Plus the HD800, the WA6SE and beta22! Yeah, I'll be geeked out for a while this weekend. :D

May 31, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #37 of 66
For those of you unware, calling a girl "refurbished" is pretty much a euphemism for saying she's been used before, but had some parts replaced and is now like new. So whatever that metaphore would imply, it would probably make me not get laid for at least a year.

May 31, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #38 of 66

Quote:
For those of you unware, calling a girl "refurbished" is pretty much a euphemism for saying she's been used before, but had some parts replaced and is now like new. So whatever that metaphore would imply, it would probably make me not get laid for at least a year.

I was THIS close to pissing myself just now. Hahahaha!

May 31, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #40 of 66

Quote:
And with good reason. (Though I did LOL at the recabled 701 comment.)

I did too. Also at Uncle Erik's Bose store comment.

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #41 of 66
Classic, I just emailed that K701 explanation to  some people.  At least it wasn't him hearing nothing but static the whole time from a cracking dirty worn out unit...

He should count himself lucky.

Is it a nerdy thing to think about headphones in some manner every day, and get excited about whipping out the soldering gun to repair a mod you figure just isn't quite perfect enough? And that nobody  would get it if you mentioned it to them. Just yourself.  How I have fallen.

I don't think I have a nerdiest  moment, it seems to be a constant worsening  endless string of them.

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #42 of 66
Was rearranging my home theater after i got out of the shower, my wife's cousin walked in to update her itunes on her iphone (she lives out in the boonies and has no internet where she lives) and caught me in my boxers doing the subwoofer crawl

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #43 of 66
Today I was riding in the car with a friend(one who used to be an audiophile, but his money got tight, so he could no longer be one) and we turned on the radio. When I turned it on, my ears when instantly assaulted with legendary bass levels. I turned it down to a flat EQ instantly. I guess going back to his own audiophile days, he told me, "Only a true audiophile would say, 'That's too much bass.'" While I guess that wouldn't really be considered nerdy to a lot of people, I don't consider myself an audiophile nor have I ever really flaunted my gear in front of him, so I don't know what gave him the idea to call me an audiophile.

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #44 of 66
Just a small note: audiophile means sound (audio), lover (philos). Being an audiophile has nothing to do with owning a 4000$ amp, a pair of HD800s and some 500$ cables for interconnects. Being an audiophile isn't having expensive gear or experience, and having expensive gear and experience isn't being an audiophile. It's about loving what you do, trying various settings of EQs, reading reviews, and most of all, enoying this. It's sound-lover, it can't be more direct than that. So while we can use expressions like "audiophile grade" for snakeoil cables (looking at you, Cynosure), I think any DIY mini-to-mini has more of audiophile than those to me. Honestly Quote, at that momment I would have called you an audiophile.

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #45 of 66

Quote:
Just a small note: audiophile means sound (audio), lover (philos). Being an audiophile has nothing to do with owning a 4000$ amp, a pair of HD800s and some 500$ cables for interconnects. Being an audiophile isn't having expensive gear or experience, and having expensive gear and experience isn't being an audiophile. It's about loving what you do, trying various settings of EQs, reading reviews, and most of all, enoying this. It's sound-lover, it can't be more direct than that. So while we can use expressions like "audiophile grade" for snakeoil cables (looking at you, Cynosure), I think any DIY mini-to-mini has more of audiophile than those to me. Honestly Quote, at that momment I would have called you an audiophile.

Well said! I agree totally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back