Need Your Advice - should I sell my iPod Classic and Arrow and buy a J3?
Jun 27, 2010 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Bennyboy71

Aka: Ben Clayton
Aka: Cold Pizza
Aka: Bennyboy71
Aka: Visions66
Aka: TheloniSphere
Aka: Muzeick
Aka: Frankleemydear
Aka: Canofcant
And many more
Hi

Not sure if anyone out there can answer this, but after reading all the positive audio quality comments about the J3, I'm debating selling my Classic and Arrow amp to fund a J3 purchase.

I'd be using it with my SM3 iems, ampless, and can live with the lower storage capacity if sound quality compensates.  I'm not fussed about video and all the fancy extras that the J3 offers, as will really only be using it for music on the move, so portability and sound (with ability to tweak to my liking) are paramount considerations here.

Any thoughts?

Jun 27, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 14
Have pulled the trigger - anyone wanting an Arrow or ipod Classic, see the For Sale forums.

Dont like the look of the S:Flo2.  Aside from the rubbish name, it looks too fiddly and unreliable to be a sound investment I reckon.

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 14
Having owned both, if you want a competent on the go player that needs no amp, the J3 has it all over the S:flo2, which does offer very good SQ (HP and LOD), but no practical at all if you want to use it as an on the go player, which is why I sold mine. Didn't need it for home listening.

Hope you like the J3.

Jun 27, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 14
Imo you should've stayed with your set-up. Using the Classic>LOD>Arrrow should be superior to the cowon j3 sq wise. The only thing the J3 has over the Classic is more portability (smaller and flash based) and FLAC support. Haven't heard the J3, but have heard the S9. The J3 doesn't sound vastly superior to the S9 from what I've heard, but the Classic is known to have a great line out and the Arrow is an amazing amp.

Jun 27, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Imo you should've stayed with your set-up. Using the Classic>LOD>Arrrow should be superior to the cowon j3 sq wise. The only thing the J3 has over the Classic is more portability (smaller and flash based) and FLAC support. Haven't heard the J3, but have heard the S9. The J3 doesn't sound vastly superior to the S9 from what I've heard, but the Classic is known to have a great line out and the Arrow is an amazing amp.

Guess I'll find out soon eh? To be frank, I like the idea of breaking the Apple bond and simplifying things by having just one device.

Jun 27, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:

What about a useful custom EQ and sound enhancements? They are a big part of the allure of Cowon players.

Jun 27, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 14
oh yeah.. lol knew I had forgotten something, thanks. I would've personally have bought a 5.5 ipod instead to then use with the lod and arrow the op already had. Then with rockbox you get better enhancements than the cowon and flac support. The only drawback I could think of in that case will be to have a slightly less portable device.

Jun 27, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 14
Having both is the real solution, which is why I have the T3/Touch or the Fuze/T3 combo for LOD listening (though no RB etc.) and the J3 for portability. Having a single rig is tough if you want it all (SQ, capacity, size, EQ). And so far, in my view, no one has sold a player that delivers it all (flac/lossless via native OS, portability, capacity, etc). Someday maybe, unless we are all getting our music from the cloud, then no need for any storage, so they say.

I did have a 5.5g iPod with RB on it and a good LOD and amp (Minibox E+), and I got tired of lugging it around, dealing with RB UI, so I can see Ben's dilemma. Sold it too.

Jun 27, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 14
 Haven't tried RB on the 5.5, but used it with the fuze and it's great. You get gapless, replaygain, eq, etc. Using the UI itself is easy and great so I can't really see what the issue is with ui. But yes, it will be less portable.

Jun 27, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
oh yeah.. lol knew I had forgotten something, thanks. I would've personally have bought a 5.5 ipod instead to then use with the lod and arrow the op already had. Then with rockbox you get better enhancements than the cowon and flac support. The only drawback I could think of in that case will be to have a slightly less portable device.

Just to play devil's advocate, I'll bring up battery life. I've never had a Cowon player, and have no plans to get one, but 40-50 hours battery life, vs. what, 15 hours from a 5.5 iPod?
wink.gif
I'm not hating on the 5.5, either, just trying to look at both sides of the argument.
L3000.gif

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #12 of 14
Plus I like selling things for bargain prices to help people out - like a sonic Robin Hood or something
beerchug.gif

Thats a hint for anyone looking for a pretty new (only a week old, as I had to get my old one replaced when it got corrupted) 160gb Classic and Fiio line out cable for the knockout price of one hundred quid. 

Check it out here and pm me if interested. 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/499447/fs-ipod-classic-7th-gen-160gb-with-fiio-line-out-cable-price-drop-quick-sale-bargain

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #13 of 14
I have a J3 (16GB).  The sound quality from normal, no-enhancement setting is lacking.  In fact, I'd say that from the Zune HD, Cowan J3 and my Garmin NUVI GPS, the Garmin produced the most natural, full-ranged sound with no effects (perhaps Garmin adds some processing -- it definitely blew away the Zune HD), followed by the J3, then the Zune HD.

Of course, click on the BBE enhancements and the Cowan J3 is great.  I'm using it with Shure SE535s.  You need to really use quality bit-rate recordings to get the most out of the SE535s.  I found that the "BBE MP" or "Headphone 2" settings on the J3 gives the most pleasing, full-bodied sound with those earphones.

Perhaps this is for another thread, but how in the world did the Zune HD get so many positive reviews?  The sound that comes out of it was awful!  And although I found a 16GB open box Zune HD for less that $150 at BB, back it went because I couldn't stand that my GPS sounded so much better than MS's best PMP!

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #14 of 14
What I think of the J3: these korean guys like to put all the best circuitry in and sell it for a cheap price (as well as the best design features). I suppose they're competitive. Not to mention the Eq's which actually make the sound better (normal sound is a bit weak though, you need to apply an Eq setting - you can also tweak the Eq yourself and make the sound very big and cool with things like 3D).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back