Need to upgrade Sennheiser HD515s with a better headphone
Nov 2, 2010 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Azsen

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've currently got a pair of Sennheiser HD515s in which the foam in the earpads and headband have completely disintegrated. The headphones still work but I don't think you can replace the pads so it looks like I'll be buying a new pair. They've had about 5 years of daily use so I suppose that's not too bad.

At the moment I use the HD515s primarily with my laptop for games, music, movies and TV.  The sound card is just an onboard Realtek ALC861 HD Audio device. My music library is all my CDs in FLAC. The range of music is hard rock, rock, alternative, pop rock, hip hop, trip hop and electronica/techno.  I like a bit of bass but HD515s don't provide that much.  I also have some Sennheiser IE6s for use with my iPhone 3GS when I'm out and about.  So you can see not top end stuff.  I doubt I will get much value out of buying super expensive headphones with just using a laptop for source.

I'm hoping to spend around 300 NZD (New Zealand Dollars). Not sure where the majority of everyone else is from but that's equivalent to 231 USD / 165 EUR / 231 AUD / 144 GBP.

So what's the next best model up or upgrade I could get?  I was thinking along the lines of HD555 (NZD 170) but will it make much of a difference? The surround reflector thing might make movies and games better.  Then there's the HD595 (NZD 270). Would it be worth it though with my setup or do I definitely need an amp?  Prefer it if I didn't need an amp (extra cost). Also there seems to be newer models of these out like the HD558 and HD598 which seem to be exactly the same specs wise but $180 more expensive. 
blink.gif
What's that all about?

Then again I read a mod a while ago on this site that you could do to the HD555s and you take out these foam pads inside the earpieces and it makes them sound like the HD595. Is it worth just doing that or will that be a bad experience?

Any other brands that are better than Sennheiser?

Many thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 4
An option for you would be to replace the ear pads as they are replaceable.  But, since you've had them for 5 years maybe it's time to upgrade.  My advice is to consider trying different companies as well as Sennheiser, so you can experience the qualities of sound others offer.  If you're open to closed back as well as open here are some recommendations:

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 these have an open back design and highly are regarded here

Denon AH-D1001, D1100 or D2000 these are a closed back design also are highly regarded here

Grado SR80i, SR125i these have an open back, they're great especially with rock music

and offcourse the

Sennheiser HD555 and HD595 both are excellent 'phones and if you end going with either one you won't be dissapointed.  Oh, also all of these 'phones can driven well without a headphone amp.  Although you might want one in the case of the Denon D2000 and the HD595 to maximizes their sound potential.

Nov 3, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 4
Ok great thanks Digital.
smile_phones.gif
  I went into town today to look for some to listen to some but there's only a couple of audio places in my small town and they didn't have much in the way of headphones. Think I found some AKG 601s but that's about it, they fit really nicely because they fit right over the ears. I think I'm at a bit of a disadvantage as I can't try them before I buy them so I'll have to rely on reviews/advice.

The Grado SR80i seems to have a frequency response on them of only 20 - 20,000Hz? Seems average compared to the HD595 which is 12 - 38,500 Hz and the same price.

From looking through the online stores in my country and in Australia as well in case I can import I found:
Audio Technica AD700 - Can't import

Sennheiser HD555 -$169
Sennheiser HD595 - $275
Grado SR80i - $279
Denon D1100 - couldn't find anywhere
Denon D2000 - $450 (too expensive)
Denon AH-D1001 - $357 (too expensive)
Grado SR125i - $399 (too expensive)

Nov 5, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 4
In the end I've gone with the HD595, partly because I couldn't find the others mentioned to buy (or listen to) and/or they were out of my price range anyway. In the case of the Grado SR80i which was the same price, I haven't heard a Grado before so don't know what they sound like. Have heard Sennheiser before so decided it was a safer bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back