Need to upgrade from my MTPG
Aug 13, 2011 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

408mike

100+ Head-Fier
Well it's that time. I decided a while back to go over ear and bought a pair of Ultrasone 580's which I LOVE LOVE LOVE. I am getting to the point where my MTPG are wearing out..I fear they may break soon (I use em at the gym).

Anyway, I listen almost exclusively to Trance, Hardstyle and sometimes Rock. I enjoy the sound I get from my Golds, but darn it all they firstly need tons of juice second sound horrible at low volume and third the sound could be much brighter, more open, and more detailed. 

From here, do I go with MTPC or what about the SM2? CK10? I would love some feedback on this. Budget is around the $250 range, max. I can not afford anything higher, for sure! I need something sturdy and also I do NOT want less bass, if anything I would like something more bass capable. Doesn't mean MORE BASS RARRRRR, I mean something that can go louder and extend deeper from an MP3 player, if need be. 

Thoughts/input/suggestions appreciated. I will take everyone's advice very seriously. Appreciate your time.

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 17
Maybe consider the Monster Miles Davis Tribute. Similar bass quantity but better in every other regard. It does have forward mids, though. It's fantastic. One caveat however - it's also power hungry. You can get it new from J&R for $249.95 with free shipping.

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 17
I was actually wondering about an upgrade to my regular monster turbines
I came to the conclusion i should save some money and get a triple driver custom when i can... (1964T)
Hopefully they will be much more comfortable and sound at least somewhat better

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
Maybe consider the Monster Miles Davis Tribute. Similar bass quantity but better in every other regard. It does have forward mids, though. It's fantastic. One caveat however - it's also power hungry. You can get it new from J&R for $249.95 with free shipping.

This is a possibility. I am worried they have slower bass response though, I think Joker said for Trance I wanted to go with the Coppers over the MD because of the faster response the coppers offer.  

I am really interested in the SM2, easy to drive and they should have pretty amazing and exciting response, ideal for trance and other EDM. Does anyone have some input re: the SM2?

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 17
The thing is though, the list of earphones with as much or more bass than the Golds is pretty short. The Coppers ain't on it, I don't think the SM2 is either. CK10 isn't even in the ballpark.

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
The thing is though, the list of earphones with as much or more bass than the Golds is pretty short. The Coppers ain't on it, I don't think the SM2 is either. CK10 isn't even in the ballpark.

Are you serious? There is a seller of the MD in the for sale section. Darn it, I REALLY do not want to shell out close to $200 and not be happy...

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 17
Sony EX600, GR07, TF10Pro, IE8, DBA-02 and with few of these IEMs you can add AMPs like E11 for more volume and more power to the music.

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
Well it's that time. I decided a while back to go over ear and bought a pair of Ultrasone 580's which I LOVE LOVE LOVE. I am getting to the point where my MTPG are wearing out..I fear they may break soon (I use em at the gym).

Anyway, I listen almost exclusively to Trance, Hardstyle and sometimes Rock. I enjoy the sound I get from my Golds, but darn it all they firstly need tons of juice second sound horrible at low volume and third the sound could be much brighter, more open, and more detailed

From here, do I go with MTPC or what about the SM2? CK10? I would love some feedback on this. Budget is around the $250 range, max. I can not afford anything higher, for sure! I need something sturdy and also I do NOT want less bass, if anything I would like something more bass capable. Doesn't mean MORE BASS RARRRRR, I mean something that can go louder and extend deeper from an MP3 player, if need be

Thoughts/input/suggestions appreciated. I will take everyone's advice very seriously. Appreciate your time.

From the sound of things, I'd personally recommend the EX600 over anything else I've heard within that price range. Exceptional sound, as open as you can imagine, exceptional detail, amongst the best extention I've encountered to date, and certainly enjoyable at low volumes. At your asking price, you'd have just enough left for a Zo amp, after which I assure you, you'll never turn back; even coming from the Monster line-up. All the best my friend!
smile.gif

Aug 18, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
From the sound of things, I'd personally recommend the EX600 over anything else I've heard within that price range. Exceptional sound, as open as you can imagine, exceptional detail, amongst the best extention I've encountered to date, and certainly enjoyable at low volumes. At your asking price, you'd have just enough left for a Zo amp, after which I assure you, you'll never turn back; even coming from the Monster line-up. All the best my friend!
smile.gif

Can anyone else vouch for these headphones?? The EX600?

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 17
Yah I'm serious. The Golds are one of the bassiest IEMs out there. I know you said you do NOT want less bass...well, nearly every recommendation in this thread is going to have less bass. So you'll have to compromise most likely.

Quote:
Are you serious? There is a seller of the MD in the for sale section. Darn it, I REALLY do not want to shell out close to $200 and not be happy...

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:

Anyway, I listen almost exclusively to Trance, Hardstyle and sometimes Rock. I enjoy the sound I get from my Golds, but darn it all they firstly need tons of juice second sound horrible at low volume and third the sound could be much brighter, more open, and more detailed. 

From here, do I go with MTPC or what about the SM2? CK10? I would love some feedback on this. Budget is around the $250 range, max. I can not afford anything higher, for sure! I need something sturdy and also I do NOT want less bass, if anything I would like something more bass capable. Doesn't mean MORE BASS RARRRRR, I mean something that can go louder and extend deeper from an MP3 player, if need be. 

Future Sonics Atrios are the right choice, they have better sub-bass than the mtpc and are more bass capable both generally and in terms of needing less juice.

Ck10 is sturdy but quite bass-lite, the Sonys are bass lite in comparison to the mtpg and the Monsters are just as power hungry (you could always get a small portable amp).

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
Can anyone else vouch for these headphones?? The EX600?

*Raises hand* I can.

After using the FX700 for around a month and just now switching to the EX600, I can tell you that they are on the same level of quality. The EX600 is a hell of a deal, and are very well received. After only listening to them for a couple of hours, I can not say enough how amazing these IEM are. 

Must...resist...urge to buy the ZO...
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back